Tuesday, March 14, 2006

An almost real romance.

Saying for the Day: Never ask God to help you sin.

Well we come again to the box of artifacts. This time our archeologists find a couple of ticket stubs.

They tell the story of my first almost real romance.

Her name was Carol but my mother called her Blink Blink. My mother really wasn’t that fond of her. Her mother wasn’t fond of me at all.

After Nel dumped me I started college at Michigan Tech.

The only girls there at that time wore logging boots and had beards. They had all the dates they could handle. Girls were scarce.

Coming home one weekend I ran into Blink Blink.
She was a friend from Luther League.
Aside from the annoying blink she was a very nice looking girl.
Our relationship soon grew to be more than friendship.

It wasn’t a great romance.
The heavens didn’t open but they cracked a little.
The birds didn’t sing but you could hear their wings rustle.
The bells didn’t ring out but there was a chime or two.

When I held her hand there was some electricity.

I thought it was love.
Looking back it was probably lust.

I was a college freshman and still a virgin.

Blink Blink became the center of my greatest ever day dreams.
I even forgot to ask for forgiveness after some of them.
I just hoped the general Sunday confession would cover everything.

The big event of the year at Michigan Tech was the Snowball.
That’s what the ticket stubs are from.

I made plans for that ball. I worked on my dancing. (That didn’t help much.)

I plotted where we would park afterward and what would happen. ( A little necking and then whatever as nature took its course)
It was going to be great.

The arrangements were made. I would pick her up Saturday morning and drive her to Houghton.
Blink Blink would stay at her Aunt’s after the ball. I would take her home the next day.

Then I made my first big mistake. I asked God to help me sin.

I did. I can’t believe it but I did.

Don’t ever ask God to help in sinning. It’s a very bad idea. A bad idea indeed.

The day started off wonderful. The sun was shining. It looked to be a wonderful day.

Half way to Houghton everything changed.
A full scale UP blizzard hit. The snow fell fast and the wind blew hard.
I had trouble seeing the road.

Now if we had had weather bug in those days I would have known this was coming. But we had no warning.

I couldn’t snuggle up next to her. I couldn’t even pay attention to her. The road demanded every bit of attention I had.

But we made it. I dropped her off at her aunt’s. I went to my dorm to change into my tux. The snow stopped falling as fast as it had started.

The problem of course is that the place I was going to park after the dance was now drifted shut. Don’t ask God to help you sin.

By the time we got to the dance the storm had stoped. The plows were out. I thought , just maybe, the plows would open the road I needed opened.

Things went well at the dance until the disaster.

This story is too long for one entry so it will

BE CONTINUED TOMORROW.

@@@
6900 spins without a prize. Hapless is getting bored with the dollar adds that pop up after each ticket is entered in group lotto or Prize America. They are the same 8 items day after day, ticket after ticket. What they need to do is to make a deal with the company that supplies the dollar stores. They would just need 80 products. They could have a page of dollar DVDs , a page of dollar books, a page of dollar watches, a page of dollar nick knacks, a page of dollar toys, etc.
There could be a new page after each ticket. At least it wouldn't be dull. Plus hapless likes old DVDs of long gone TV shows.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if the snow doesn't end allowing hapless to get to a real dollar store where he buys lots of DVDs. Thus causing him to forget blogging . we will be back tomorrow with another adventure of "As the World Spins"
***

The first comment I got today caused me to wonder if praying to win the lottery is a sin. Well if it is I join Luther in sinning boldly. My computer hating sister called before 8:00 to see if our big storm took out our electric power. It didn't. She worries too much.
The house net failed this morning. When my other son installed it it lasted two weeks. When this son installed it it lasted two days. I guess Betty will have to do without the internet.
Betty got to the post office and mailed a bunch of things. We sent $100 to the Suomi Conference for their special ministry in the former Russian state. Otherwise a dull day.
Tomorrow the rest of the story. Coming up one hundred things about me. ( you can skip that day as I'll warn you the day before)Well I need a breathing treatment.

4 Comments:

Blogger ozymandiaz said...

I would guess at least half of the most heart felt prayers, the ones not arbitrary or recitals (i.e. the lords prayer), are requests for assistance in sinning. For most of these prayers are requesting something, a percieved need or two which are most likely desires. Often these desire are for wordly things. We have our perspective, God has his.

5:33 AM  
Blogger plinna said...

Me thinks it is not the son who is causing the delays of the bouse net but perhaps the people using it.

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Divine retribution eh? you didn't bargain with him too, did you? well, i guess i shall have to come back tomorrow to catch the ending

12:57 PM  
Blogger C said...

LOL! Oh no!! I await the second installment with bated breath! :o)

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home