Tuesday, March 07, 2006

2.My First Romance ?

Saying for the Day: You never forget your first romance as long as you have a picture.
Contest prizes(with pictures)......... Contest rules

--Digging into the box we find an old kodachrome picture. It is faded so badly that the color is almost gone. If you look closely you can see a young man in a suit that doesn’t fit with his arm around a girl in a pretty yellow dress.

When our archeologists do their work they will recreate my first, sort of , romance.

When I entered high school I had four things that stood in the way of romance.

I was fat. You can see it in the picture.

I couldn’t dance.

I had had a religious conversion and was disgustingly religious.

I had no car

One of these things alone was bad. You put all four together and romance becomes impossible.

Girls didn’t like fat boys.

Girls only dated boys that could dance. They did not want to be taken to a dance and end up dancing with some other girl. Even the Justice’s daughter, who met her date at the door naked (everybody in school knew that story) insisted her date be able to dance.

Girls wanted at least the possibility of sex ( I found that out later). Disgustingly religious boys that believed sex outside of marriage was of the devil really didn’t fit in.

Girls liked boys with cars.

So for my first three years of high school I went dateless. I asked a few girls out but after awhile you get tired of being laughed at.
So I spent my time going to Luther League gatherings looking for a disgustingly religious girl.

My senior year some things changed.

I lost a little weight.

My dad let me use the car.

Two out of four at least gave me a shot.

I met Nel. Nel was funny and Nel was fun. She was somebody I could talk to like Margaret.

She had nice parents. My mother thought she was okay.

I asked her to the Senior Prom.

That was a mistake. Now I had to learn to dance.

I ordered the Arthur Murray Dance Course. It came with big foldout sheets with footprints on them. You put your feet on the footprints and walked through the steps. It was horrible. But I learned enough to waltz.

They still waltzed a lot at Proms in those days.

So I took Nel to the Prom. You can see in the picture how beautiful she was. She put up with my imitation of dancing.

We went out and ate. My dad gave me money for the meal. (Money was green pieces of paper that you used to buy things before credit cards.)

I spent all my paper that night. It was a great meal.

Then I took her home.
I kissed her goodnight.
I didn’t try to take her to a motel or the woods.
I just kissed her and took her home.
I think she was disappointed .

Hey, that’s what a disgustingly religious person does.

I had day dreams in those days about sex. I did what you do during such day dreams. But I never, ever, saw Nel as part of those day dreams. And of course I repented after every one and promised God, never again.

While other boys were trying to get their girls into bed I was trying to convert her from Catholic to Lutheran.

She came from a strong Catholic home. They had eleven kids. You can hardly get more Catholic than that.

I liked her and wanted to save her from her works religion.

Did I tell you I was disgustingly religious?

I went with her until summer.

When summer came my mother talked my great uncle into getting me a job as a deckhand on an ore boat.

I’d like to tell you that my mother believed that idle hands were the devil’s tool . But I think she really hoped that a summer with all these tough drinking sailors would sand off some of the “ religious nonsense” I had developed.

I wrote every day to Nel.

She wrote once a week to me.

By the time I got home she was married to a guy named Freddie. They had a kid on the way.

That’s when I learned that some girls wanted sex as well as dancing.

Nel went on to have ten kids.

Then she left Freddie with the kids and ran off with the mail man, or the milk man, or maybe the garbage man. It was some kind of man.

You see being disgustingly religious saved me from a fate worse than death.

The wife I have now says to throw the picture away since it is so faded

But I never will because it calls back my first , sort of, romance and the miracle of religion.

No! I never will..

@@@
6600 spins without a win. For the rest of the week hapless loser is giving this space to contest details. The results are in. After forcing the judge to make a decision and warning here of the dangers of nepotism yesterdays winner of the suprise prize is in. The winner of 25 blog explosion credits is Laurie of Stranded in Suburbia . I have also decided to give a special GREAT PERCEPTION AWARD to Maritza at Jump In theOcean worth 25 credits.(this over the objection of the judge who said "she's just sucking up" .The judge didn't see her great abilty to see the real nature of this blog) Credits will be transfered as soon as I figure out how. Today we have a new and different suprise prize and you could win it. Also note you can add a comment to Monday's blog , if you haven't already done so which will count for the total in the week.
Well Uncle Wiggly lovers if the judge doesn't get too upset and quit leaving me to try to figure out winners for this contest . We will be back tomorrow with another adventure of "As the World Spins"
***

Betty spent the morning working on her houses while I bloged ( I need to get the credits to give away.) Is it spelled bloged or blogged.(Darn my fourth grade spelling ability). Then she got the mail (mostly junk catalogues ,no tracks, no table pad, no railroad cars, no fantasy train parts) and took a nap. I discovered that I need the blog explosion login name to transfer credits to somebody. Winners can send their name to me at linnajohn@sbcglobal.net ( I don't need nor want your password)
Did a little straightening in the basement in the afternoon and made some saffron bread. Betty has gone to Bible study and I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm. When I was a teenager I had a chicken and egg situation.

One of my first girlfriends wanted the ten kids without the sex.

She must have been a big believer in Immaculate Conception.

I tried to convince her it would be immaculate anyway if she could just be a bit more adventurous.

A month after we split up, she was married.

I just hope for his sake he was a patient man.

(Got you today, on the day, Dr. John!)

7:18 AM  
Blogger Eric said...

my first romance was withan amazing girl.

i was waiting in a theatre lobby for my friends when i saw her. she was freaking gorgeous, and some boy was talking to her. she was so gorgeous in fact that i dropped my wallet and credit cards scattered about. she came over and helped me pick them up. then she invited me to watch a movie with her an her friend. it was like a dream or something. the next day was halloween and we went trick or treating together (we were both 18 or so) and had a blast. fast forward 6 months later she goes to the navy and breaks my heart :(

8:22 AM  
Blogger plinna said...

At the risk of offending other people named Nel, just having such a name dooms her to having herds of children, running off with some guy who probably fathered half of the herd anyway, and possibly she now lives in a shoe. I will not go into my first romance, because unlike you , I threw away the picture of us at the prom and have erased all memory from thst time in my life. I prefer to think I was on a long vacation in La-La land at that time or perhaps in prison which is a much better memory than my first romance.....Lori

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about some Country Music----



GARTH BROOKS LYRICS

"Unanswered Prayers"

Just the other night at a hometown football game
My wife and I ran into my old high school flame
And as I introduced them the past came back to me
And I couldn't help but think of the way things used to be

She was the one that I'd wanted for all times
And each night I'd spend prayin' that God would make her mine
And if he'd only grant me this wish I wished back then
I'd never ask for anything again

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn't answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

She wasn't quite the angel that I remembered in my dreams
And I could tell that time had changed me
In her eyes too it seemed
We tried to talk about the old days
There wasn't much we could recall
I guess the Lord knows what he's doin' after all

And as she walked away and I looked at my wife
And then and there I thanked the good Lord
For the gifts in my life

Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you're talkin' to the man upstairs
That just because he may not answer doesn't mean he don't care
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers

Some of God's greatest gifts are all too often unanswered...
Some of God's greatest gifts are unanswered prayers


[Thanks to scorpio89hottie@aol.com, independentgurlygurl@yahoo.com for correcting these lyrics]

12:55 PM  
Blogger Maritza said...

That's a sweet story! You should keep the photo and the memories that go along with it. Also, thanks for the credits or at least, the intention of giving me credits. Who says I was sucking up? That should give me extra credits!

3:27 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

I have never had a first romance. I am still waiting. I am working on the best romance ever the one with God.

I must say it is weird to read about your father's first romance with the word sex in it.

Pennie

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw, the teenage years, weren't they wonderful? :( You know I think they were/are difficult for everyone, but they are extremely difficult for teens that don't fit in with their peers, or who don't keep up with the latest trends and fads, and even worse for those who are overweight.

As you've found out the best years come later on when we know who we are and really don't care anymore how others judge us.

7:44 PM  
Blogger Scottage said...

My first real girlfriend was in high school, an amzing girl, beautiful, smary, funny, sexy, she was great. We went out for two years. Saw her a couple years ago, she has kids, and is still great. Probably a good thing she doesn't know I have photos of her from back then...

10:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home