Monday, February 06, 2006

The Old Comment Thing

Theological University Online
Saying for the Day: Even paranoids get comments.
----What does a guy have to do to get people to read and comment on his blog? I tried blog explosion but that just gets them to the blog. It doesn't make them read it. Thirty seconds later and they are gone, poof. I tried threats. I tried whining .( actually I'm still whining) I warned them about the dragon but they paid no attention. Now a lady has what she thinks is a cigarette burn in her coat. Which she can’t understand because she doesn't smoke. Just remember tiny dragons burn tiny holes. I tried making the blog funnier. I know its funnier because I always read it to my wife and she just laughs and laughs. Of course she also laughs and laughs when I read the list of things I want her to get at the grocery. Which is probably why she never comes home with a pound of chocolates or an ice cream cake. No she brings home carrots, radishes, and lettuce. Stuff I would feed to the rabbit, if we had one. I have tried giving really helpful hints like "don't watch CNN". I have tried political stuff to get them mad enough to comment. But a middle of the road person like myself can’t anger either left or right. They end up just feeling sorry for me. I don’t want pity. I want comments. I see blogs not nearly as wonderful as mine with thirty or forty comments and I cry. Life is unfair. What do I have to do? What do I have to do?
@@@ 5250 spins without a win. Yesterday , if you can believe Iwon there were two winners and they won $11,000. That means one got $1000 and one got $10,000. Well its not a million but it beats the no value prizes of the last two days. It gives our hapless loser hope. Why tomorrow he could be one of the chosen two and he could win a real prize not one of those without value. He is beginning to believe again. Forget contacting Dateline he is going to win. Tune in tomorrow to "AS the World Spins" and see if he's right.****
Betty went to therapy which was fun compared to what I went through. The ELCA made a mistake on my 1099-R form which could end up costing me over $4000 . The mistake is obvious so I called the number on the form. I got a voice giving me six options. I chose number 3. This took me to two options. I choose number one. A voice asked for my social security number. Before I could find it I was whisked to a human being. who wanted to know why I hadn't pushed in my social security number and what it was. By then I had found it so I gave it to her. She asked for my problem I explained the entire thing with examples and she said."Please hold". The next thing I was on the phone with some crabby lady. She needed my social security number again. I gave it to her. I then had to explain everything again. She said she needed to call up my records and she needed my pin number. Well I had that stupid pin number somewhere but cranky didn't want to wait . She said she would send me the pin number in five to seven days. So I thanked her and hung up. After twenty minutes of digging I found the pin number. I called the number on the form again. Same routine, all the choices etc. But this time I had my social security number and I entered it followed by the # sign. A lady who at least sounds friendly answers and asks for my social security number. I told her I just entered it and she says it didn't come through. So I give it again and explain the problem knowing it won't do any good. She says "Please hold". Now I get an all business type male voice. For the fourth time I explain my problem. He says he will bring up the material and try to get it fixed and then he will call me back. I ask "Don't you need my pin number?" He says no "what would I need that for." I hold my temper and thank him. Now I sit here waiting for him to call back. This is the church I raised benevolence for , for over thirty nine years.( I suppose I could try to memorize the stupid pin number while I wait.) Well Betty has gone to Bible study. I am still sitting here waiting for the ELCA to call. I am willing to bet they won't. They (the pension board) made a mistake that anybody who knows basic math and the law (they must know the law says they have to withold 20% for taxes because they have reminded me of it enough times) would catch. The thing that bothers me is that none of the people who represent the pension board or the ELCA seem to care . Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good morning, John. I hope this comment starts a flood of responses for you. Like priming the pump, so to speak. It's cold down here. I think I'll be able to see my breath when I go outside. Perhaps spending February rather than January in Florida would be a better idea.
Good luck with the taxes. I'm glad you and Betty are still speaking.

Sue

6:39 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Comments aren't everything
(I tell myself this daily.)

But here is at least one more...so you don't feel totally unloved ;)

9:42 AM  
Blogger katie said...

You just keep doing what you are doing, and commenting on other peoples blogs (like you did on mine!). No worries, people might not always comment, but they are still reading.

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and here's another one for you. I found your blog just by browsing, and though I don't post, I read. :)

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I am with you! I love comments. And I did come via blog explosion so it does work. Just keep on writing! :)

1:39 PM  
Blogger Axel said...

Hi John, I saw your comment on Lydia's blog so I thought I'd pop round for some tea and cookies.

PS: I hate so-called "customer service telephone systems" too, you never get anywhere with them!

Best of luck, Axel

3:12 PM  
Blogger Penelda said...

Hello Dad,

I hate automated telephone things. I am glad to here that the tax thing might be fixed soon. I like your blog.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Ben said...

I agree with you re blogexplosion. Having said that I got here from there.

1:19 AM  
Blogger prying1 said...

Offer free food for comments! If that doesn't work try cash...

8:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home