Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Expensive Poop

Saying for the day- Use the talents you possess - for the woods would be a very silent place if no birds sang except for the best. ~Henry Van Dyke

I don’t know if this is good or bad news but the price of bird poop has gone up. It is good news for the Peruvian company that controls the 20 islands off the shore of Peru where guano piles up , over a foot deep in some places. The company is now intensifying its poop harvesting.
It’s bad new for the poop users f the world who will now have another thing along with food and gasoline they have to pay more for.
Who wants guano?
Why producers of food of course. It is one of the greatest chemical free fertilizers in the world. That means the cost of food already increasing will increase even more..
It is good news for the workers who mine the stuff. They stand in their bare feet and pick the hard guano loose with a pick and shovel it into bags. For this they get $600 a month, three times what one makes on the mainland of Peru. I am not sure that you could get me to stand on bird poop in my bare feet even for triple the going salary.
So important has guano been to the world that wars have been fought over it.
Now this is stuff you would never know if you didn’t read this blog.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Two more people did their stories for the local contest. One got a 7.3 and one got a 5. The 5 was as low as anybody has ever gotten. He must have had bad judges. In any case we will share with you only the stories getting over 8.
The Tommy Club went to the crossing yesterday where the White Rabbit was last seen. Tammy pointed out some odd markings that seemed to be made by a wheel and four things. Tommy UK said those could be from almost anything. But Tammy thinks they could be from some mechanical device that ran the rabbit. The rest of the Club agrees. They followed the tracks to the woods and then they just disappear. Tammy thinks that if this was a mechanical rabbit it was picked up here and loaded into something. Tommy UK still thinks they are wrong. Tammy says she understands how Tommy UK who has spent all this time defending the rabbit from Mrs. Trumble would be reluctant to admit it was a hoax. But he is just going to have to face up to it.
Mrs. Trumble says that the demon rabbit wants them to think it’s a hoax. But she knows its real and dangerous.
********

Today's Link-It's All About Me- Two kinds of exercise or ten Canadian facts.
Another do nothing day. I bloged. Then i spent the morning setting up a Photo Suite to handle all my photographs. Now all I need is to learn how to use it. My stomach is still acting up so I took a nap in the afternoon. betty spent the day trying to keep the two dogs happy. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

18 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Oh I could just feel Tommy's palms starting to sweat. Say it isnt so, Tommy!

5:15 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh Dr. John, no worries, Poppy, Francesca's cockatiel will take care of the shortage. here the bird was doing was she could for the earth pooping her share and that of a small jungle and here i was all confused.

just send the needed addresses and we will surely send any a good supply. free. it gets really, really expensive maybe we might have to ask for S&H, but certainly not for you.



hope you are feeling a stronger. much love to all. hugs xo

5:35 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

*plugging my ears* La La La... La La La... I simply refuse to listen to anymore vicious rumors about that adorable little bunny! At this rate he will NEVER come out of hiding!

5:57 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

Well, the cost of bird seed has doubled here, so what do you expect?

6:12 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Dr John ~ I rather pick at Guano Poop that Chicken Poop in a Hen House any day. Though if I had my choice of picking and shoveling Guano Poop or doing something else I'd probably do something else. I am not much at manual labour.

A Blessed Day is wished for you and Betty.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

How is the water situation over there in Neenah? The fields here are still ponds.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Well, I guess there is another episode for "Dirty Jobs"...

8:33 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Does this mean the guano workers will get a pay-rise? They surely deserve it for doing that job!

9:04 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

Dr. John.

I hope you are feeling better. I also hope you are fairing ok with all of the water. Who would have thinks Wars would be fought over POOP!.

Take care...I'll have to write my Liars club story soon!

~Family Man

10:00 AM  
Blogger Cedar said...

I am going to out to my truck now scrape off the Bird Poop and bag it up. It could take a while.

1:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, what isn't going up in price. Crap might as well be one of them!

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to think I thought I was doing well to just wash my face before bed. Who knew that doing that could be good for the skin? yeah, think I'll pass.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

My poop of preference is horse poop......has a nice "stable" smell and stays on the shovel nicely. My Mom used to be so obcessed with getting manure for her garden, she would stop along side the road, and shovel it into a box, if horses had been by our road and left a "sample." Man us kids used to slide down in the seat of the car and hide when she would do that, so afraid our friends would see us......

2:49 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

i knew the stuff about guano except for the price going up. but then again, what else can one expect...
bat poop is also valuable

2:57 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Thanks for the link :)

7:36 PM  
Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

I've returned the favour :)

7:42 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

Do you think it also would work with cat poop ? I already have 5 cats !

8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The birds around here keep fertilizing my car. You know, Dr. John, if the price of nonsense ever goes up, you and I ought to get rich quick.

10:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home