Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Big Writer's Contest

Saying for the Day- Writing is easy: All you do is sit staring at a blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. ~Gene Fowler

Writers Writers Writers
Short Story Writers
Long Short Story Writers
Storytellers
Would be Writers
Your chance for fifteen seconds of fame.

The Annual Pigeon Falls Liar’s Club Storytelling Contest Has Begun
Rules are below:
1. The stories can be of any length.
2. The story must be about some creature that can’t exist like a dragon or an elf or any of hundreds of fantasy creatures.
3. It must include a small town.
4. It must seem plausible on the face of it.
5. Judging will be by a local ( loco) panel.
6. There will be a Best Liar’s Plaque and a ten dollar gift certificate for the winner.
7. Stories must be submitted by July 20, 2008.
8. Entries should be e-mailed to
jlinna@new.rr.com
9. There will also be a writer’s choice award. Writer’s who submit short stories will be asked to vote for what they think is the best short story other than their own. Voting will take place after July 20 so that all the stories are in. Voting will be by e-mail to
jlinna@new.rr.com

If you have a story in you this is your chance to let it out.

The Liar’s Club would appreciate if you would pass this information to writer’s, would be writers, storytellers, and anybody else that might be interested.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The Liar’s Club storytellers local contest started yesterday. You remember this is where the Pigeon Falls Liar of the Year is chosen. The storyteller stands in the gazebo and tells his or her story to anybody who will listen and seven judges picked from the people who happened to be around at the time. Stories are judged on a ten point basis where ten is perfect and one is “ Even your dog won’t listen”. The lowest score is thrown out the others are averaged the highest five people get to enter the final round.
Yesterday Jon Bergall who has won the contest in the past gave his story. Here it is:
A couple of weeks ago I went to Chicago to visit my great Aunt Celia. She lives on the East side in a nice little neighborhood. While I was there she asked me to go to the grocery store for her . I think it was a Sweetowl store. So off I went. I was looking for some Jell-O when I saw the most unbelievable sight. Coming down the aisle was a pleasant young man holding a flying rhinoceros on a leash. It was a about half the size of a regular rhinoceros and had four sets of wings. Well I had never seen a flying rhinoceros so I followed along behind. The other patrons paid no attention to it all. He must be a regular customer. Wow! The city is sure different than Pigeon Falls.
Now the beast seemed as well trained as my dog. The young man would issue a stay order and the beast fluttered in place until told to move again. I was just beginning to wonder what flying rhino ate when it happened. The young man reached down to get a can of something and let go of the lease. Well, I’ll tell you that beast took off like moose somebody shot at. Before you could even react it had rounded the corner and was picking up speed. The young man ran after it, hollering “ Charlie, you come back here”. But Charlie didn’t stop. Oh no. He went straight to the vegetable section and ate all the asparagus . But as soon as the young man showed up it took off again. It was quite a sight. He chased it up and down aisles. Cans and boxes were knocked to the floor. And just when you thought it couldn’t get any worse it was going so fast that it couldn’t stop at the big frozen food freezer. It crashed into the glass door horn first and impaled several boxes of frozen fish. That’s when the young man caught him. He got the leash back and old Charlie or young Charlie was as docile as he could be. The young man wrote a check to the manager for the damage and the asparagus and he and Charlie left the store. They got into a van and drove off.
I said to the store manager didn’t you find a flying rhinoceros to be sort of weird. That’s when he told me that there was an experimental lab down the block where they were doing things with DNA you wouldn’t believe. He had to rule the flying elephant and the flying giraffe out , the elephant because the trunk kept knocking things down and the giraffe kept breaking ceiling lights with its head. The walking shark, he found interesting, they had to keep a muzzle on it. They certainly weren’t keeping their work a secret.
Well I brought my Aunt her groceries and I got out of there. I’m glad to be back in good old Pigeon Falls where everything is normal.
Now if you doubt my story I brought one of the boxes of frozen fish home with me. See ( he holds up the box) here is where the rhino horn went in.
For this story Jon got one ten, four nines, and two eights. Or an average score of nine.
*******

Today's Link-Blogtrotter- A chance to see the world.
I don't feel any better today. In addition my internet went down just before I was going to blog. Peter brought Spanky and now we have two dogs. I visited most but not all of my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

8 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

aha, so i did diagnose you correctly. i should have been a doctor lol.
i hope today is a better day for you. maybe you should call the restaurant and tell the manager about your incident, you never know, maybe you are not the only one who ate it and maybe they need to take more precautions in the kitchen or with their personnel (hygiene-it happens sometimes, when it is lacking).

i'm glad that your breathing and blood pressure is good though.

Louise will be thrill to hear about your new writter's contest, she loved last year. i will tell her as soon as she is home.

Chelo was supposse to be in for neutering but we forgot not to feed him early today and it is not safe to go under without an empty stomach. i'm pretty sure he understood all our chatting re:topic, he perked up alot when it was discussed (how he wouldn't be going in) ;p, i have a pretty, pretty smart dog!

he went with us yesterday to the salon where we spent a few hours getting all dolled up. he had everyone hearts melting. he is such a male dog i tell you, totally love all the female attention, lol!

kids are in final exams this wk. weird schedule but we are that much closer to summer break: yeahhhh!

much love to all, many hugs.
xo

7:36 AM  
Blogger dmarks said...

I have the Story Contest promoted on my blog.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

DARN! I was going to use the asparagus eating flying rhinoceros in MY story! SHOOT! Back to the drawing board! Er... um... keyboard!

9:13 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Love that story! I wouldn't presume to try to invent one, but I look forward to reading the entries.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Shame about the asparagus.

2:51 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

I hope you are feeling better...

louisiana is right..
..and you may need to get some testing done... you might have a food borne issue

I hope you feel better soon!!

6:12 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Hope you're feeling better too Dr. John. Now that I'm finally able to come back, you can't go and get sick on me now. I'll keep you in our prayers.

8:11 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I can't even think what to put on my silly blog half the time so I could never write a story I'm afraid.

Two dogs are better than one you know, they will keep each other company. I always used to tell my husband that but he never bought it.

No internet and not feeling well, life is not good but I hope will be better soon.

9:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home