Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Durn Trilogies

Saying for the day: Having your book turned into a movie is like seeing your oxen turned into bouillon cubes. ~John LeCarre

I love to read. I really love to read Science Fiction and Fantasy books. But in recent years there has been a very disturbing trend in this area. Writers no longer write a book. They write trilogies or multiple volume sets. One book is not big enough for their story.
The problem with that is I am an old man. My health isn’t good. Who knows how long I have to live.
I would like to finish the story I started.
I find myself waiting now on four different authors.
1. The last book in the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini
Paolini has a website with a countdown clock. It will be ready on September 20, 2008.
2. The last book in the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan
Robert Jordan died without finishing it and it is now being finished from his notes by a four person team.
3. The last three books in the Final Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson
The second book is available this month. The other two who knows.
4. The last two books in the Void Trilogy by Peter Hamilton
The second book is to be available October 3, 2008.

Whatever happened to one book contains it all authors.
Wonder if the writer gets run over by a crazed rhino then what do we do.

From this time on I am checking a book before I buy it to make sure its not part of a trilogy or a series that depends on the other books. Unless of course it’s the last book in the group. Then I will buy all three .

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal Mrs. Lila Floodster says that she saw a shadow under the water at the Lake of the Loons yesterday that could have been a whale. But she didn’t really see a whale. As everyone knows Lila is a bit high strung. So nobody believes that she saw a whale. But now more people are looking and wondering.
Nancy says that between pastor Joan’s sermon and Lila’s observation the whale is the center of most of the conversations over coffee in her shop. Somebody even pointed out that one of the saffron buns looked just like a whale. Nancy was just thankful that her poltergeist, which has been unusually quiet lately, didn’t form her tea cups into a whale shape.
There were a lot of picnics yesterday out at the Lake of the Loons. One suspects people were hoping to see a whale. Of course the fact that gas is now $4.27 a gallon in Pigeon Falls and the price of a train ticket has gone up may have something to do with it. People are giving up big vacations for little close to home adventures. But then seeing a whale in an inland lake would be an adventure.
Since the Liar’s Club has decided to hold a second annual internet contest their committee has been working to set up the rules. This time the stories won’t have to be about dragons. Not that they can’t be. Einer Hodges complained that he likes dragon stories and there aren’t enough of them but he was out voted. All the information for the contest will be ready by Friday. This will include starting dates , rules, and a tentative prize list. But when it comes to prizes you have to remember your dealing with the Liar’s Club.
*****

Today's link-Short and Sweet Like Me - Where pay day went.
The background music is used with permission from Jean Laaninen, who home recorded it in 2008.” The Public Domain Score provided by Dover.
Another good day. Betty went to Bible study. I researched some new books. When she came back we ordered two books from a lady in the UP that Betty found on Lois's blog. I ordered four books from Amazon.com. They cost us nothing. We use an Amazon.com Visa card and it provides us with gift certificates based on how much we purchase. Since we pay the card in full every month the books are free. After lunch I took a nap. Then I played a game on the computer. It was interrupted by my oldest sister who called. Now I need a breathing treatment. ( I know my life is boring)
GBYA


17 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Someone needs to start a rumor that it is not just a whale, but a Mer-whale -- half human half whale. Maybe mix in some of those mysterious visitors that keep disappearing.

5:38 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I know what you mean. I'm reading a trilogy by Nora Roberts about the battle between good and evil in a small town. I read the first one just in time for the second one to be released. Now I have to wait until December for the third one. I guess I should practice reading slower. I read faster than all my favorite authors write.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I like books that are part of a "series" BUT are also self contained within themselves. That way when you just absolutely LOVE the characters or at least the main character, and you are SO SAD that the story has ended... you can always get another visit! But I don't much care for stories that require that I read 3 books to get the WHOLE story. What if I didn't like the first one? I started out LOVING Harry Potter... but after book 4 I got bored with him... never did finish that series -- but I never felt jipped at the END of the book either. I felt that each school year closed and was a story on it's own. I DO think though that YOU should stick with the trilogies -- gives you something to look forward to! A REASON to stick around!!! Well... and then there's always Pigeon Falls... because who would fill us in on the goings on if not for you? You are truly NEEDED here!!!

I hope the Liars aren't lying about HAVING the contest!

6:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know I used to love reading Michael Cricton (spelling?) but then I noticed he was writing books for the movies and I hated it...stopped reading him.

6:58 AM  
Blogger Amber Star said...

Robert Jordan DIED?? Oh my. I started reading those Wheel of Time books, but they started being pretty much all alike...I mean you knew what each character was going to do. I thought and still do that the first one of that series was the best. I gave up on them after about book 8 or 9. Who knew he would die.

I so agree with the quote you have today. The movies are never as good as the books.

I've started reading Evanovich, Scottoline, Tess Geritson (very scary books), and John Lescourt. They get the story told. Evanovich has a running character, but each book stands on it own. I gave up on sci-fi a while back. And now that Jordan died...well, I pretty much won't finish that series.

I'm reading a book called "Ava's Man" right now and am enjoying it very much, but it is a book I'd bought and started and put back on the shelf. I wasn't ready for it at that time. Also, Jan Karon, has written another one of the Mitford series....probably the last and as usual it was soooo good.

Gosh...I sure got to rambling there. Ya think I like to read?

8:03 AM  
Blogger Amber Star said...

John Lescroart...phone rang while I was typing his name. Ack....I'm no good at multi-tasking.

8:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Jon -- I posted 4 memes, but I only tagged you for ONE of them. Let te whale do the other three. We all want to hear the rest of his story anyway.

And how can a guy who writes a soap opera complain about the length of someone else's story!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I changed your name. Sorry. Take it up with my hand which is mostly still sleeping.

9:08 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

i quite agree, waiting for the next volume can be so annoying... i prefer stories that say all they have to say in one book.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

It's the money I think Dr. John - the more volumes - the more money!
Then they make a movie and it all goes sour.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I was going to leave a comment which would be not finished for at least three days but decided against it...I do not want you to wait any longer than you have to.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

I know what you mean. I can't believe the last Wheel of Time book will be right, in spite of the fact that Jordan planned it all and dictated a lot. Young Paolini has time to get us hooked on a lot more yet. And my reading has slowed a lot - too many other things to do all the time. Ah well. Never mind.

1:36 PM  
Blogger Family Man said...

It's all about the almighty dollar. If you buy it or watch they will make a sequel!

1:45 PM  
Blogger Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

Oh I am weird then because I love the ones that keep continuing. I always have..I like to keep the character going that way i don't have to leave them. Smile

I know the midwest has had a lot of rain. My parents are in Illinois. We really need it here..

4:35 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Glad ya had another GOOD day! And new books... FREE books - that's a great deal! I should look into an Amazon Visa... oh... but then Hubby would KILL me and I wouldn't get to use it! *shrug* Guess not...

We don't actually know what the critter was... at this point we are thinking probably a small squirrel... or perhaps a whale! Hubby opted on the "wait it out" resolution... overriding MY choice to tear out the walls and get RID of it! So... we are now about 5 weeks into this odor and it has finally gotten to the point where I can MASK it with air fresheners and carpet deodorizer. As long as the AC keeps working!!!

6:20 PM  
Blogger Amber Star said...

Wait...I had to come back and I just read about the free books on Amazon. How does that work? I have their card and I don't get free ones...except that first time when I signed up and they gave me $30 for that. Do you sign up every time? I'm just so confused but it doesn't take a whole lot for that to happen.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I agree, I like to see a full story concluded in just one book. I am the same with TV programs, I really dislike shows that end with, to be continued......I haven't the patience to wait. and often I never get to see the finish. Besides with movies, see what happened to the kids from Harry Potter, they grew up long before they really should have to be good for the story. Here they are playing kids, and they are 18 and 20. I was afraid that they were going to be 25 still trying to play teenagers. It is often done, but I don't really find it very effective......when they are shaving....and still trying to be 12.

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home