Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Obama and the Church

Saying for the Day:Truth is not determined by majority vote. ~Doug Gwyn

Well Obama has the delegates. That much is over.
I still don’t know who I’ll vote for in November.
I really thought Obama was different until he dropped his Church membership.
Up until then he had done what he thought was right rather than the political thing.
This was his church. The fellowship that had sustained him. But politics said it would play well if he dropped it. In the end politics won. He put aside what he believed to get the nomination and in the long run get elected.
He is after all just another politician.
But you say look at the evil church he belonged to. Then you will ask how could he sit through twenty years of that stuff.
The news media, the conservatives, the liberal opponents all made assumptions that can’t be sustained. Let me list some of them.
1. The Pastor preached the same stuff every Sunday for twenty years.
2. The congregation is the Pastor.
3. People really listen to sermons.
4. Guest preachers represent the congregation.
Pastors are not robots. They are not programmed once and then play the same tape over and over. As time goes on pastors change. The Pastor my congregation in Crystal Falls got when I came there was not the same Pastor who ended his ministry thirty five years later. I changed. I studied. I went to workshops. I got excited. I tried new approaches. There were some things that didn’t change. I was a Lutheran and Lutheran theology prevailed. Most of the pastors I have known over the years have changed.
So it is really doubtful that people in that church got that radical stuff every Sunday for twenty years. His Pastor was United Church of Christ so I am sure there were sermons on Baptism, on salvation, on God’s love. I am sure there were also sermons on how poorly blacks were treated mixed in with the others. What Obama heard was a wide variety of sermons.
2. Obama belonged to a congregation not a Pastor. It was a fellowship. His children were baptized in that fellowship. He took communion in that fellowship. He had friends in that fellowship. The old Pastor had retired but the fellowship, the congregation goes on.
3. I heard a conservative who was attacking say that he always listened to what the Pastor said and took it to heart. Boy I wish that was true of the congregation I served. A lot of church people put up with the sermon but don’t really hear it. If you want to prove this statement go to some church that has coffee after the sermon and have people write down the five main points of the sermon. People hear what they want to hear and take from the sermon what God wants them to get.
4. The straw that broke the camel’s back and caused Obama to leave the congregation was a guest preacher. A Catholic Priest, yet! No congregation can control a guest preacher. I never knew what the person who filled my pulpit was going to say. The Priest is now on suspension by his Bishop.
So I am not happy that Obama decided to be more politician than Church member.
It makes me wonder how he will act when the press and the polls begin to press on him as President. Will he lead us or will he surrender and do the political thing?
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal . People are not happy with the increased charges for Pigeon Days events. The event with the most protests is the pasty eating contest. The complaint is that the fee is too high for the $50 prize. Mayor Trumble pointed out that in addition to the $50 prize you get to eat all those wonderful pasties. Since this is only the possible schedule the Board will review all the costs and events before the final schedule is posted.
The Liars club is complaining because their big liar’s contest is not included on the schedule.
Since Bonnie McGregor is just a month or so away from giving birth Tommy UK decided to review the driblet that may apply. It was driblet 172. He is looking to see if there is anything they should worry about.
Tommy UK and the Tommy Club are still trying to figure out what caused the entire town to disappear. There just are no real clues. It may just become another of the Pigeon Falls mysteries.
Pigeon Falls made the tabloids again. This time the headline reads “ Small Town Disappears” the article said every building and every person in Pigeon Falls vanished for a week. At least it was half right.
*******

Today's Link-Here in the Hills-Some thoughts on Obama's Nomination
A good day. In the morning I started getting April's blogs ready to print out for my sister. Then I started reading my newest book. I took a nap. Betty and I went to work in the basement and i checked out my ver last G scale engine. Then I visted almost all of my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Having reread the driblet, I think it would behoove the Tommy's in the Tommy Club to do some screaming when they are trying to figure out the clues. Seems Gregnicoff did alot of screaming.

Having been a member of churches where the preaching is highly emotional, I can say that even tho you dont necessarily remember many things that were said, there is an osmosis thing that goes on. The cheering of the congregation in those video clips are really what is disturbing.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

what a brilliant piece of writting. i love that you don't ever hold back to stay out of conflict. i'm not American and all my family that is have their own opinions on things. i'm also not too interested in politics but his move upset me too and for the same concerns you wrote about. i like people doing things to the best of their abilities and always as honest as honest is. our human side is always so wanting the popular way that we often do silly things.

Fran is putting on some weight on her foot now. she has been keeping on with her school work the days she stays home. we are lucky that we have had great support from the buses and school and friends so her school days are going well but she comes home sore and tired. she goes one day and stays home the next it seems. she is healing fast and as usual He is the one behind it all. God looks after her and this family always.


my mom sold her house a week ago, yuppi. Saint Joseph worked his blessings again. we are excited for what comes next...as usual i know what i would love to happen but it is God who directs us..
it sold in record time and for a good price, we are very grateful, thank you God.

Chelo is going for his neutering on the 17th of this month. he had to be not only 6 months but also had his canine tooth so it's finally time...poor puppy, doesn't know what is coming, lol..ouch, the nurse explained the surgery and frankly i was glad not to be male.

the other day when you had your picture with a beard i had to take a double look and read what you had wrote. i had for sure assumed on first sight that it was your other son and not you..you both look so alike!

i'm glad your breathing is better. i'm always so afraid of reading your closing words. i wish that your lungs be okay, my dad had trouble with his lung and every breath was precious and i think of you both so often.

counselling is the best present i could have ever given myself. i'm so Blessed i know, i know not all councellors are this good and she is just right for me. it is nothing i would have expected it and i'm doing well, great, content and finding my peace and enjoying me, myself and my life.

how horrible last year was Dr. John . you know, you went through it with me. the pain was horrible and my breathing was not automatic and to see how far i have come and to know 100% how it was the best thing for me and for my kids. life is amazing, i thought back then how my life was over or at least my heart and to know now how it was just the door to a good life with good people in it and love and God. i'm so Blessed and i know it and hopefully never forget it.

i like where i am in my life. i like being me and being happy and at peace and i or the kids will never forget what you and Betty did for us and keep on doing for us. your friendships and caring and love and prayers helped us on our way and always have and that sir is something that we will always cherish.

much love to you all. breath good. hugs to all.

xo

5:40 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

A politician will always be a politician... no backbone... sOMe would say he has to get INTO the White House before he can make a difference. We'll see. I can't believe that the results of the last 8 years would bring another republican into the job, but Obama has the "race" thing to overcome AND he's making mistakes... I tend to agree that he shoulda stood up for his church. But... I'm not a politician!

Poor Bonnie McGregor... sounds like life is going to hit some bumpy roads in the future if Petrovich's driblet is indeed prophetic. I certainly HOPE that driblet is NOT about her babes! I've DONE the twin thing - and they should EACH torment the other equally!!!

5:48 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I am not fond of any of the candidates we've seen this year, though at least with Clinton and McCain we would get a known evil. Obama? He's a wildcard. Something about him makes me think of the anti-christ character in every end times movie and/or book. Not a good thing.

6:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't like any of the choices for this presidental race. Tell me again why you dropped out of the running. Can I still vote for you anyway?

9:18 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Hi Dr. John,
I'm so glad I came by here today. Your post is so timely and very well put!

2:17 PM  
Blogger XUP said...

I sort of agree with Stacy. There is something very scary about Obama. Though I'm not an American, we have been following the primaries very closely up here and were hoping Hilary would win. Now it seems like there's only a choice between a rock and hard place. (Cue the impending doom music)

2:21 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I am not sure the United States is ready for a black president or a woman president either one. We are still a majority run by "the good ole boys school of thought." I think Obama's downfall would be his lack of experience if anything. He would be automatically EXPECTED to bend to any thought process that would benefit the black community, since they supported him entirely. I have nothing against either a woman for President or a black for president, but I doubt the US would be be behind them, and as you well know, a President that doesn't have the peoples support can't really be effective at anything. Even if he does keep his principals intact. Personally I hate politics and politicians, but a truly good and honorable person will NEVER win an election.

4:17 PM  
Blogger Devil Mood said...

Hello Dr. John!
This might seem a bit odd because I know the importance of going to specific churches and congregations seems to have in the United States, but I don't think Obama having left that church makes him a better/worse person/politician. And I especially don't think he is less of a believer because of that.
The truth is the State and Religion are two separate things, aren't they? So he probably wanted to make that clear, as a politician.
Well, this is just my view from outside anyway.

5:32 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

Not totrally being a politik kind'a gal, and not in your country, I have still been following.

The church issue with Obama has bothered me from the start & I believe your comments hit the issue right on the head.

6:19 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

I really thought Obama was different until he dropped his Church membership.

You would, being the fool that you are. But it was very smart on his part. Not that I'm going to give you the credit for having the smarts that he has.

Just go play with your trains.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, put a comment on my AOL blog this week about being disenchanted with Obama.
You must have changed your e-mail? Father Gondek is interested in e-mailing you. I gave him the link to your BLOG.

7:08 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Hey, why does your god let 30 thousand people die of starvation everyday while letting you be fat?

Why does your god allow all these wars in his name? Why does your god allow all the greed?

What a worthless god, I have no respect for him at all.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Most probably Obama will be like most of the politicians. They promise "before" a lot of beautiful things they never keep "after".

7:49 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I read this with big eyes ! such a thing would be completely impossible in Europe ! Nobody cares about the religion a politician belongs to it is also never mentioned. Some of them have no religion and don't swear on the bible. State and religion are strictly separated. I don't know to what church our politicians belong to or if they go to church neither in Belgium nor in Germany. They could be muslems or buddists or whatever but they have to be good politicians.
PS I was looking for a "blue" picture, lol !

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haven't read enough about this upcoming election and Obama, your post was very informative! Following the process from Europe...
Have a peaceful day, hope you got that needed breathing treatment!

12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home