Saturday, May 31, 2008

Jesus Loves You

Saying for the day: There is no surprise more magical than the surprise of being loved. It is God's finger on man's shoulder. ~Charles Morgan

I saw a plaque like this in a catalogue the other day. It bothered me.
I was bothered because I can think of times when I could have hung that in my house.
I know God loves all kinds of people.
I know that because the Bible tells me.
But some of those people don't do the good things I do.
Some of those people don't worship much.
Some of those people are a real pain.
Yes God loves them but doesn't he have to love good old me more.
I mean I do what he wants.
I sing His praises.
I worship the right way.
Doesn't God have to love me more?

NO!

If Jesus taught us anything it's that God loves the prodigal son just like he loves the stay at home brother.
It is hard for me to understand that I'm not competing for that love. I have it. God bestows his love on me. I couldn't earn it if I tried.
So , I guess I won't buy the plaque.
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal . It is a quiet Sunday morning in Pigeon Falls. It always quiet on Sunday morning in Pigeon Falls, not as quite as it was last Sunday when only Tommy UK was in town, but quiet.
Over in the little neighborhood right on the edge of town Oscar Erickson and his family are getting ready for Church. They belong to Last Lutheran. Both he and his wife are Sunday School teachers and Oscar is Chairman of the Evangelism Board. He hasn’t missed a Sunday of worship for as long as anyone can remember .
Next door live the Herman Hansons. Mrs. Hanson is making breakfast and getting the kids ready for Church. They belong to Last Lutheran. Herman is sleeping. He will get up in an hour or so and have a cup of the coffee his wife left for him. Herman is a book member of Last Lutheran but he hasn’t been to Church for as long as anyone can remember.
Two Men Oscar and Herman one goes to Church and one doesn’t. When they were little their parents took them to church . The Hansons sat in the pew behind the Ericksons. The two boys used to pass notes. They had the same Sunday School teachers and went to the same confirmation class. Both of them went to Bible Camp. Oscar had a deeply moving religious experience. Herman got a bad case of sunburn.
Their history is so much alike and yet one loves the Church and one doesn’t. If you ask him Herman will tell you that he doesn’t hate the Church and he believes in God but he needs Sunday to get some rest.
Pastor Joan says that God loves them both.
But can that be true?
*****

Today's link-Dr. Platypus- Something to think about
The one real fact in yesterday's list was ,according to the magazine " Scientific American", number six. I know that's hard to believe but that's what science says.
A great day today. My oxygen was a little down but not really bad so I took my little oxygen tank and went to church. I only used half a tank. Church was great. There there were three choir numbers, a baptism, a good sermon, Holy Communion, and great fellowship. The only problem is I filled my memory chip in the camera. I just have to get a bigger one. So I couldn't get the last choir number. After lunch I took the morning pictures and updated the St. Mark's website. That took a good amount of time. I had four videos to add.Then I took a nap. Betty and Pennie played computer games and with the WII . When I got up they went shopping while I did a little blogging and then closed up this blog. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

11 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

Awwwwww... of course it's true! When you're Blessed, and Holy, and righteous, and sovereign, and MORE perfect than Mary Poppins you have no idea how not to love! When you ARE love how could you not love? But ohhhhhh how His heart wishes Herman would talk to Him. Visit with Him. Cuddle with Him. He misses being close with Herman. Somebody oughta kick Herman in the seat of the pants!

#6? Really? Hm... And the scientists "believe" in that? How can they? I need "proof".

5:12 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Yes.

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Dr. John!

5:44 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Fact number 6 is too complicated and ridiculous to be true. It is true? Oops, I was wrong again!

6:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think selfishly we've all thought that sign belongs in our house. Thanks for the reminder it doesn't!

8:51 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

That was beautiful. And I wish more people stopped to consider that more often. I know I should.

11:25 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

n#6 sounded like something from a douglas adams novel...

1:06 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I will tell you what I tell my kids when they ask who I love more...I love them the same. To illustrate, I offer a plate of my favorite cookies, homemade choc. hip cookies. THey are all different, some have more chips, some are bigger, some are a little too done, but I love them all the same.

Is it the cookies' fault if it is not perfect or the person who made them? Hmmmmm....

4:29 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

What you say is very deep. Personally, and I think I said that before, I am not a big church "goer". For many reasons which would pass the place here for me to explain. In my life, I never have worried if I will go to Paradise or to Hell, once I am gone. But my parents raised me in a Christian way. A way I try to follow daily. By simply behaving in a decent manner, by being here for others and by comforting people in need.

8:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, that's hilarious. Now how many people do you know who believe that God loves them more than God loves me?? I can think of 10 off the top of my head.

6:34 PM  
Blogger zzyytt said...

nike air max
ralph lauren uk
ferragamo belts
cat boots
golden goose
yeezy boost
hermes belt
michael kors handbags outlet
yeezy
air max 90

7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home