Friday, May 30, 2008

High Gas Prices

Saying for the Day: Under democracy one party always devotes its chief energies to trying to prove that the other party is unfit to rule - and both commonly succeed, and are right. ~H.L. Mencken, 1956

Congress is at it again. They are holding hearings to see why gas prices have gone up. They , according to one congressman, are” going to shake the truth out of the oil company executives”.
If they had just called me I would have saved them a lot of time.
Here are the facts:
Fact number one; The world is using 86.5 million barrels of oil a day.
Fact number two; The world is producing 85.5 million barrels a day.
Simple economics tells us when demand exceeds supply the price goes up.
Given those facts Congress needs to devise a program that will:
1. Decrease demand
2. Increase production
Now there is all kinds of experimentation going on in both areas but it is uncoordinated. We need a government program like the Manhattan Project to give this top priority.
It won’t happen. We will keep looking for somebody to blame.
That’s the way Congress works.
My Beard


#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal .Eino, being pressured by Tommy UK, called his friend at Homeland Security only to find out that to this point they don’t have a clue as to who was to blame or how they did it. But the investigation continues.
Petrovich was met at the airport in New York as he returned from Russia. Federal agents wanted to quiz him about the driblets. That lasted all of a half hour. Petrovich has almost as much security clearance as the President. After a few phone calls he was released with apologies from the agents. Besides he was in Russia the whole time.
Old Doc Simpson is concerned about Bonnie Maki’s babies and the effect all of this may have had on them. So he is running some tests. Thus far everything appears normal.
Pastor Joan is unhappy that she missed a Sunday preaching. She had prepared a special sermon just for last Sunday. Now she probably won’t use it bcause the coming Sunday has different assigned texts.
*****

Today's Link-The Boomer Chronicles- A Big Foot Sighting
Another very bad day. The oxygen was nine points below normal. I spent all morning on the breathing mask connected to the concentrator. Came out at lunch with a small portable oxygen bottle. Worked on the computer until the bottle was empty. I put Sunday's bulletin up for St. Mark's and visited some blogs.Then back to the main concentrator. I refilled the small oxygen bottle so I could close up the blog. If I don' t see a rise in the oxygen level by Monday I will call Dr.Wilson, my lung doctor, and make an appointment. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

18 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

So who is questioning the dogs?

Tommy UK's meter should have a frequency reading recorded on it. Are they not testing that frequency to see if they can cause fading to happen again?

5:16 AM  
Blogger Rhea said...

Thanks for linking up. Bigfoot rules!

6:03 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Love the photos of your beard! The one with the moustache but no beard looks very Victorian. Personally I like men with beards!

On the subject of gas prices - Congress should try ours!!!

6:35 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh my goodness Pastor! Those two center shots -- that beard gives you a devilish look about you!!! But I agree with dragonstar - the last one is very Victorian.

I think we should all give up cars and just ride bikes and walk! Those of us who live out in the country will have to go back to growing our own vegetables, and RAISING our beef (which we will then be allowed to eat because we will be workin' all the bad stuff off out in the fields!) Mmmm... homemade bread and home churned butter!

Petrovich is THAT important? I had NO idea! Well... still... that never stopped anybody from bein' the bad guy! Who cares if he was in Russia? It was probably all computerized! Maybe Bonnie Maki's babies are aliens... maybe they were responsible for it all! I think the congregation should allow Pastor Joan double sermon time this Sunday so that she can preach them both! I'm sure there was something vitally important in last week's sermon that SOMEONE in Pigeon Falls needed to hear!!! (I hate missing a sermon...)

6:46 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

It was fun seeing all the different looks you've tried with your beard.

7:32 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

wow, most interesting photos!

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You need a couple of six-shooters and a cowboy hat to go with that mustache.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Robert said...

Great commentary on the gas prices. I've been listening to Larry Elder a lot on the radio. He has some good stuff to say about it too. Thanks for bringing attention to it.

8:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

When all else fails, investigate, then blame someone else.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

Good shots of the beard, and love the idea for "from the archive". Love to see old pictures. Maybe it could go on a s a Friday thing or something? Been a couple days for me but I was glad I got to catch up on your posts.

~Family Man

10:37 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Yep. The prices are getting nasty. It was $4.23 today by my house. EEK! Pretty soo I will be stuck in my house and not allowed to use my car. That's bad in So Cal. PUblic transit is lame here. I may be forced to eat my young to save some money.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Gas went up twice today in Warsaw, NY. Started out this morning at $4.11, by mid morning it was at $4.13 and by this afternoon it was $4.15. At this rate they might as well hire a person full time to stand out there by the sign with the numbers handy to be changed.

3:38 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

More prayers for you... *sigh* :(

5:12 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

I love your idea about a "Manhatten Project" for gas consumption !!

Those beard pictures were a hoot. I like the second one - very Dr. Mephisto-like.

I hope you feel better soon, Dr. John

5:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the handlebar moustache...cracks me up.

9:00 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

You look great with your beards.

As for the gas problem, I will make my personal, tiny, unsignificant contribution. In a few month, when I am retired, I will sell my 15 year old car. I will not be able to afford a new car. Instead I will buy the Swiss public transport pass which costs me 2'000 dollars per year. And I will be able to move as easy as with a car. Because every Swiss is living (statistically) from not more then 300 yards from a public transport (trains, trams, busses). And our transport system is well developped and efficient.

And in case I need a car because I have to transport something big, I have three solutions: I have it delivered, I rent a mobility car (also some efficient system) at 2.50 dollars per hour, I don't buy it.

9:49 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I have read somewhere that men change their beard look after their mood. So I conclude that you have been moody, lol !
The high oil prices are a question of stock market speculations ! I am sure of that.
In Europe we pay around 2.25 for a liter and I think in one gallon are 4 liters ! Imagine !

10:37 PM  
Blogger Casdok said...

I love beards!!! :)

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home