Saturday, May 31, 2008

More Good Internet Facts

Saying for the day:We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter. ~Denis Diderot

Today I perform my weekly public service. I give you fifteen internet facts . These are things that you can astonish your friends with. Of the fifteen “facts” one is a “real fact”. Past real facts have included the Mona Lisa has no eyebrows , Jimmy Carter was the first US. President to be born in a hospital., the original name of Bank of America was Bank of Italy, and Gatorade was developed in Florida.. But the facts I make up could be true. I am a really good maker upper. In any case you can tell your friends “ It must be true because I read it on the internet. Today’s list:

1. Lamination, the process of gluing thin strips of expensive wood to a cheap base, was created by Edgar H. Lamon in 1921.

2. The first company to issue a credit card was Montgomery Ward. It was good only at Ward stores.

3. The DNA of a chimpanzee is closer to the DNA of a giraffe than to that of a human being.

4. Global Warming , the warming of the ocean, has been going on for the last two hundred years.

5. Captain Marvel and the magic word shazam were created by the Marvel Comics Company.

6. The simplest and most popular cosmological model predicts that you have a twin in a galaxy about 10 to 10 to the 28 meters from here.

7. Bigfoot sightings out number flying saucer sightings two to one.

8. The Marvel Comic Hulk was based on the wrestler Hulk Hogan.

9. The most popular movie Disney ever made was “ Cinderella”.

10. There are no gay penguins.

11. The heaviest person who weight was recorded weighed 872 pounds.

12. Credit cards with your fingerprint on them will soon be introduced by Visa.
Instead of signing the store will scan your finger.

13. It is impossible to get a worm drunk.

14. In comic strips the person on the right always speaks first.

15. There are 20,000 species of honey making bees.

There you have the list. One of the fifteen is as real as anything gets in this world. The other fourteen I made up this morning. But that makes no difference. You can treat them all as true because you read them on the internet.
The internet wouldn’t lie.
Pennie's Master's Graduation





#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal Today the entire Tommy Club is going to scour the area where the building that exploded was looking for clues. Tommy UK has convinced them that it is time the town finds out what is behind all of these strange happenings.
Already this morning they have found a clue. In a tree near where the building was they found reverse letters as though a piece of machinery had been driven in and then fallen out. Homeland Security would have the metal piece. But the Tommy Club can figure out what the letters are.
M.E.L.I.
Could that be the name of the company that made the machinery? Could it be the name of the mean mastermind behind this horrible plot. What do those letter mean?
Tommy is busy trying every possible idea since at the moment it is the only clue they have.
*******

Today's Link:-XUP- Products that might scare you .
what a difference. The oxygen bounced up eight points this morning . Just one point below normal. I have no idea why. Thank you for your prayers. It was a great morning. I set up a blog for E.S.T.H.E.R which is a justice organization that St. Mark's belongs to. Then I added that information to St. Mark's website. At that point I was going to take a little oxygen but Betty had disassembled the equipment to sterilize all the parts. She thought there might be some kind of bug left hanging in there. So I had lunch and then visited most of my links. After that I watched a very funny Zombie movie. Then it was back to the computer and closing up this blog. Betty and Pennie have taken Maggie to the dog park. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Dragonstar said...

I'm sure no 5 is right - my family loved Marvel Comics!

The photos are lovely - what a day!

Hmm, a clue for the Tommy Club to work on - wonder what it means.

6:39 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

well, i have no idea which one is true... i only know which ones are certainly not - and they are not many.

lovely photos again!

7:02 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

#14: Their right or our right? snark.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think there are any gay penguins...how could they meausure that?

7:54 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

I am just SO glad there is not a DOUBLE "L" in there!!! WHEW! *wipes brow* ... for a minute there, I thought I might actually be responsible... Hmmm.... M.E.L.I. ... gonna have to think on this a bit... are you sure it's not M.E.L.T.? (I's and T's look similar!) Maybe they all melted...? No, huh? Mysteriouser and mysteriouser....

I knew the Hulk Hogan one was a ... um... made up! Hulky boy took his NAME from the Incredible one!!! Now I have to figure out which one is true... Well... it's not Montgomery Wards... and it's not monkey's and giraffes... Have you ever SEEN the worm in a bottle of tequila? I think they're pretty drunk... Penguins could be true ... but have they ALL been interviewed? #12 will probably happen one day... not sure it will be "soon"... I suspect Global Warming has been going on for a lot longer than 200 years... If I were UP for googling right now I would guess #1 might be the right one... but it's probably something like Shazam! (though I really thought Gomer Pyle invented it!) Will you TELL us tomorrow?

Oh! Today's photos! What a proud moment for Penny! And for Mom & Dad too! Sweeeeeet!

8:49 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Leave it to the Tommy Club to take over and solve the mystery. I think the members of the town council should worry about keeping their jobs.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I'm leaning toward the fingerprint scanning on credit cards being true. One grocery store near us already uses it for check cashing purposes.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

The fingerprint for Visa would be great I guess!
# 13 is intriguing to me, I never tried to get a worm drunk, and I don't think I ever will! Have a great weekend Dr John!

12:02 PM  
Blogger XUP said...

Well, I know there are gay penguins and I know Fawcett comics invented shazam and I know Diner's Club was the first credit card and I think there were probably heavier people than 800+ pounds..I'm thinking the VISA thing could be real, but how would that work with online transactions?

1:36 PM  
Blogger dmarks said...

Captain Marvel was created by the Marvel Comics Company. #5 is half-true.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melli did it! She tried to disguise her name!

5:49 PM  
Blogger Carletta said...

I love your fifteen internet facts each week - so much fun to try and figure them out. I'm still working on it!
Great photos of a great and wonderful accomplishment!

7:36 PM  
Blogger Cedar said...

Of course there are gay penguins, they are all gay. Do you see any other animals wearing Tuxes? No, I didn't think so.

(you would probably have to be gay to understand this comment)

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Diner's club is the first real credit card - of course they were invented to sell gasoline in the 1920s, but that's another story.

I think #5 is true.

10:15 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I have no idea which one is true but you deserve a gold star for making the rest up because they all sound as if they could be true.

I'm glad you are feeling better today and I loved the beard series in the post below. You certainly ran the full gamut of facial hair.

11:12 PM  
Blogger robkroese said...

#1 sounds pretty good, but I like #11 too. The Marvel version of Captain Marvel was a black woman. At least for a while. She never said "shazam." And yeah, the first credit card was Diner's Club.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home