Tuesday, June 03, 2008

A Candidate

Saying for the Day: All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

It is Tuesday and unless something strange happens by late tonight or early tomorrow the Democrats will have a Presidential candidate. It has been a long and interesting struggle to get to that point.
We have watched American politics at its worst.
We have seen lies, attacks, demands and debate upon debate.
We watched one candidate forced by his opponent and the press to leave his church.
We watched the manipulation of half truth and full blown rumor that always came from nowhere.
We have watched a candidate cry and whine.
But that’s the way of American politics and politicians. They aren’t there to serve us they are there to serve themselves and honesty , integrity, don’t have any part in that.
As long as people ignore what you do and vote for you that’s all that counts.
You can pretend to be religious. People like that.
But don’t really be religious as people don’t like that.
You can change position and claim you didn’t. People won’t notice.
Winning is everything.
But tonight it is over and the real battle begins.
Now you can watch the whole thing play out again.
At least in November it will end.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal .Old Doc Simpson is watching Bobbie McGregor even closer as we move into what should be the last month and a half of her pregnancy. If everything goes right to schedule the twins should be born around July 15.
Bonnie’s daughters have redone the old baby room for her. Years ago it was their room. So whenever the babies decide to come everything is ready. Bonnie’s daughter remind her on a daily basis that twins often come early so they need to be ready. They are more excited about the coming twins than Bonnie.
The town Council put out the almost final schedule for this year’s Pigeon Days. It as follows:( Changes in red)
August 2-Pigeon Calling Contest-$7.00 entry fee-$1000 prize. (To win pigeon must land on some part of your body)
August 2-Pasty eating contest-$ 14.00 entry fee-$50 prize. (losers pay for their own pasties.) Please note increase in fee because of increase in potato prices
August 1-5 Art on the Lake of the Loon’s Shore - local artists and others share their art .
August 14 - 16-Local Variety Show– 5.00 a ticket
August 9- Pigeon Queen Contest- Masonic Hall
August 18- 4k Yellow Brick Road run $7.00 to enter -Everyone gets a "I ran on the yellow brick road sweatshirt. Winner gets I reached the Emerald City sweatshirt.
August 17- Community church day- Pastor's exchange pulpits
August 11-17 Old Time week-Local people dress up in the clothes of 90 years ago.
August 16– Spouse carrying contest.
August 23- Pigeon Day Parade- Pigeon Day song by Vicki East
August 28-Potato Judging-Potato Farmer of the Year to be named
August 30-Big Race Day-three Legged Races,Potato sack races, wheelbarrow races and others
Other activities to be announced
******

Today's Link-The Poor Mouth- A great Story
A good day today. In the morning I left the Fortress and went to St. Mark's. There I worked with the secretary by showing her ho0w to use the blog I set up for E.S.T.H.E.R.. Betty went to Binble study. In the afternoon I watched a little TV then we went to the basement and continued our effort to get the basement cleaned out. I want to get back to working on the layout. After that I put a couple of items on freecycle and hope somebody wants them. I visited a few of my links. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

14 Comments:

Blogger Melli said...

Gooooood grief! I'll be the first to grumble! NOBODY can afford to eat pasties if the prize is so skimpy AND the losers have to buy their own pasties? Nope... I won't be participating this year! I'll run the yellow brick road instead! Cost me half as much and I'm guaranteed a sweatshirt!

I solved the problem of political bashery and whining by completely avoiding the media and generally staying completely UNinformed. I don't believe I NEED to be informed of the information I'm given anymore to make a decision! As you point out, nothing they say is relevant to what they stand for. And aside from that -- the president doesn't make all the decisions ANYway! It all has to pass throught the House and the Senate...

I used to be really hard core, gung ho politics! I read everything and was consumed by making the absolute RIGHT choice at the polls! I was intent on doing my civic duty in an educated, intelligent manor! But anymore, you don't hear anything of what they stand for... you only hear about the sins of the opponent! I've decided to vote for God in this years election! It will be a write in vote!

5:41 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

I suppose politics is necessary, but I have to admit to a strong dislike of the whole business - whatever the country concerned! Your elections seem to go on for so long, and November is so far away.

Pigeon Day festivities sound much the same as over here - mainly intended to make money for the town while convincing everyone they're having a great time! I hope they do well.

6:52 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I have been dying to try a pasty. They always sound yummy in "The Cat Who..." mystery series. I found a recipe in my pie iron cookbook. I'm going to have to try it this summer.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Amber Star said...

Not to be too contrary....and you know what that means :), but I find it difficult for the referrenced candidate who had to leave his church because of others. Was he not listening for the last 22 years? Or did they just start talking and acting weird recently.

I agree so much with Melli...the pasty eating thing seems like it is not a very good deal. Hope your town makes a lot of money and your taxes don't go up :)

7:48 AM  
Blogger SuzySnoo said...

"You can pretend to be religious. People like that.
But don’t really be religious as people don’t like that."
That is a truth I never noticed before! But you are right!
I will be keeping a half interested eye on the political proceedings from across the pond.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sick of the political hoo-ha that I almost didn't read your post! I have had it with all of them.

9:01 AM  
Blogger Jientje said...

I'm with Quilly on this one!
Have a nice day Dr John!

12:06 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

ah, politics! it makes me sick!

interesting schedule, though

12:15 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

My brother once told me that a person's integrity didn't play any part in politic's. I was questioning him why he would want a President like Clinton, who lies everytime he gets into a mess. And my brother informed me that a person's personal life didn't matter. I strongly disagree, I think how a person run's his person life has everything to do with how he will run the country. Scarey when they lie, steal, AND CHEAT.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Gotta wonder if anyone will enter the Pasty eating contest.

2:11 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

The yellow brick road run .. I justlove the T-shirts being given out;the winner's is priceless:)

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will be so glad to have it over, I mean seriously. It's too much already!!

5:19 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

My natural inclination is to stick my head in the sand because it is all so grotesque. But I know that if we do that, we just don't have a say. It's our JOB to vote.

5:33 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

It's certainly been an interesting race and not particularly nice in many ways. We watch with great interest from over the border.

Goodness me, how did you find Jams? He has a great blog.

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home