Friday, June 06, 2008

Day or Night

Saying for the Day- How long a minute is, depends on which side of the bathroom door you're on. ~Zall's Second Law

The world is getting weirder and weirder.

I read that a Swiss watchmaker has created a watch that will not tell you the hour or the minute , yet alone the day. All it can tell you is if it is day or night. It does this using a complex measurement of earth’s gravity.
The CEO of the company said “studies show that two-thirds of rich people don't (use) their watch to tell what time it is anyway. Anyone can buy a watch that tells time but only a truly discerning customer can buy one that doesn't. “

That truly discerning customer can get one of these wonderful watches for just $ 300,000. Now that’s a real bargain.

Just think of what a great statement your new day and night watch would make.
It would tell people that you are crazy rich or rich and crazy.

It would also be a great conversation piece.
The conversation might go like this.

Harry– Fred what time is it?

Fred– It’s daytime.

Harry– Stop kidding and look at your watch and tell me the time.

Fred– According to my $300,000 watch it’s daytime.

Harry– Doesn’t it tell the time.

Fred- No– But the salesman said that only a truly discerning customer would buy a watch like this.

Harry- The kind of customer who would buy that watch starts with D alright but its not discerning.

Now if your really interested I have a day and night watch I’ll sell you for $30. It works very well.
You go outside and look at the face. If you can see the numbers on it it is day. If you can’t its night.
Be a discerning customer and I’ll sell you one.
#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal .Mrs. Petrovich stopped in to Nancy’s for coffee and Nancy said she is sure the woman is pregnant. It’s either that or she has really been eating. Nancy brought the conversation around to Bonnie McGregor’s pregnancy in the hope that Mrs. Petrovich would make some comment about her own pregnancy but she didn’t. But it is still obvious.
Willie ,the town drunk, swears he saw a whale in the lake of the Loon’s yesterday. It was in the morning before the school picnic arrived Willie says he knows a whale when he sees one.
When the picnic started Willie was telling everybody about the whale but none of the kids saw it. It would be pretty hard to hide a whale in a lake the size of the Lake of the Loons.
The picnic, despite Willie, was a grand success. There were pasties, ice cream , and soda pop. One of the teachers , in a suit, got knocked off the dock into the lake. Tommy UK helped him out and said that he was thankful the whale didn’t get him. Everybody laughed , even the teacher. The Tommy Club played the Jocks in baseball and got beaten fifteen to one. There were games, and races, and swimming. All in all it was a good end to the school year.
******

Today's Link-The Blog- A gun that shoots shots
I spent the morning reading. I am getting into the book.At npoon the lady came and picked up the old H0 buildings I was giving away on Free cycle. Then I ewatched a little TV. My sister called. Betty and I went down and packed three more eBay boxes. Then I visited blogs. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

you know Dr. John, some just have way too much money and think of the silliest way to spend it. than again, there are some pretty ingenious business people out there who know how to get $ from those with too much of one thing and too little of others...

just my opinion...

glad you had a nice email from your long lost friend. sounds like it made you happy.

keep on having good breathing today. say hi to Betty.

hugs to all. xo

5:30 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

So did Mrs. Petrovich get regular or decaf coffee?

5:52 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I have a weather rock for sale. You just put it outside and it tells you the weather. If it's wet, it's raining. If it's dry, it's sunny. If it's white, it's snowing. If you can't see it, it's foggy....or your discerning neighbor stole it.

7:52 AM  
Blogger cube said...

There's a sucker born every minute. It's true!

8:13 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I had a watch like that when I was a kid, just think I threw it away not thinking. I could be sitting on a fortune now.

Thanks for sharing.

A Wonderful weekend is wished for you and Betty.

PS ~ I had some wonderful news yesterday, it is all on my blog. I just want to thank you and Betty for your continued prayers.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Now that is MY kind of watch! I think I'll wait for them to go on Red Dot sale though!

OH BOY! A whale now! Whales AND dragons! Pigeon Falls keeps getting better and better! I have NO doubt that Willie saw it! It's just hiding from "the others".

8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

After all that has happened, how could anybody in Pigeon Falls scoff at anything as unremarkable as a whale in an inland, land-locked lake?

"A whale in the lake? Is that all? I have a photograph of my invisible grandma sitting behind a big white rabbit and riding a flying dragon."

9:28 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Hilarious quote today - I like it!
Fun commentary about the watch - some people have too much money and not enough sense to go along with it!
Enjoyed my visit Dr. John.

9:42 AM  
Blogger Family Man said...

I can sell you a really big secret on how to correctly tell night from day. But since I consider you a friend Ill let you in for free. You look out the window. If you look up and the sky is black it's night. If the sun is there it is day.

No doubt there are some wealthy folks just drooling over the watch.

11:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That made me laugh so hard. As if we needed to be told if it was day or night.

I must admit I have one of those...ahem...designer watches...it does have roman numerals...however...the time is always, always wrong...when I need to the time I look at my cell phone. Stupid huh?

12:23 PM  
Blogger XUP said...

We might laugh at the sucker who buys a $300K watch that doesn't tell time, but I'll betcha on a relative scale we all have something in our possession that was an equally dumb buy.

3:10 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Boy are Pastor Paul and I gonna have some GOOD conversation THIS weekend!!! LOL! Thanks for the comment! (he will agree with you though...)

4:31 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

*rolfmao*.. does the watch come with diamonds?

What book are you reading ?

8:04 PM  
Blogger Gattina said...

I should buy one for this price it is really cheap and anyway I don't really need the time, I am retired, so it's only important to know if I have to get out of my bed or in my bed !

9:10 PM  
Blogger Dina said...

Guess those old Swiss watchmakers get bored sitting in their snowbound chalet all winter.
Here an Israeli man did research and just published a book on how a person's wristwatch can show what kind of character he has (or is).
An old mystical song in Hebrew says "The day will soon come that is neither day nor night."
--Just some random thoughts generated by your interesting post. Shalom from Jerusalem.

12:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home