Sunday, June 08, 2008

A Sin to Lie?

Saying for the day:Truth only reveals itself when one gives up all preconceived ideas. ~Shoseki

Melli raised the question in her blog :

Is it a sin to lie?

The answer would seem to be yes.
We know that our God is a God of truth and not lies.
We know that God expects us to tell the truth.

But it is not that simple.
Nothing ever is.
\

God also expects that we will serve justice.
God expects that we will act in a kind and loving manner and not hurt other people.

So to tell a lie is a sin but not always.
It depends on our intent.

If we intend to hurt somebody by the lie or if it will get somebody in trouble it's a sin.
IE " Tommy broke the window" even when he didn't. That's false witness and breaks a commandment.

If we intend to gain by the lie.
IE What we put on our income tax form. That's a sin. That's stealing and it breaks a commandment.



If it is done for the sake of justice.
IE We are hiding a person in our basement to keep them safe from the dictator's secret police and the police ask if we have seen him. and we say no. That's not a sin. That's risking our life for justice.



If it is done for the good of somebody else.
IE You tell your mother who is in the first stages of Alzheimer's that she looks good when she doesn't. That's not a sin that's an act of kindness.



Because the demands of truth , justice, and love are often in conflict there is no easy answer. No clear black and white.
But we can be sure that Jesus is the truth and the life.
We can al;so be sure that God in Christ loves us and forgives us when we do sin.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal .Our dragons put on quite a show yesterday. Mother dragon lead the little ones in a whole series of maneuvers. It was almost like a sky ballet. People that were in town at the time cheered and clapped. It was magnificent.
Yesterday one of those end of the world is near internet sites proclaimed that a whale was seen in the Lake of the Loon’s in Upper Michigan. They quoted Willie as saying that “it was either a whale or one heck of a big fish“. Then they went on to say this proves the end of the world is near. God is about to punish the earth. Sometimes the people who run those sites are weirder than the whale. They didn’t check to see if Willie was a reliable witness. And how does a whale in a UP lake indicate God is punishing the world? It’s more like a Star Trek plot gone bad. The whale should have ended up in the ocean not the lake.
Not that Pigeon Falls is upset. This kind of coverage may cause people to come to see the whale, which of course isn’t there. But while they are in Pigeon Falls they will spend some money. Wink’s Woods has already ordered some whale key chains.
Local people, however, are continuing to swim and fish in the Lake of the Loons . They don’t expect to see a whale. They know Willie.
Pastor Joan is planning on using the non-existent whale in her sermon this morning. That could be very interesting.
******

Today's Link-Shoes of Life- All about learning to trust God
The true fact yesterday is number 13. I know that's hard to believe but it is true. Dr. Anders Celsius who set up the scale set it up with 0 as boiling and 100 as freezing. His colleagues out of respect to him waited until his death to turn it around. Number 7 is almost true . The word only is what keeps it from being true.
Another wonderful day, a gift from God. Church was great except there was no choir. The sermon was about as good as they come. The fellowship afterwards was really enjoyable. I met a lady who came from my home town and lived in the same location as my cousin Judy. In the afternoon Peter, Bree, and Luke came. Peter helped me to get a video on the St. Mark's website where I wanted it. I put the pictures from this morning on the website. Then Betty, Pennie. Bree, and I played canasta. Pennie and Bree trounced Betty and I winning by almost 2000 points.Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Wink's needs to hire some Jonah's to help promote the whale products.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about the lie where a man tells his mate,
yes dear you look great,
even though her gear
makes her rear appear
to stretch from there to here.
This he does out of fear
and because he's no dope
and knows he can't cope
with her wrath
o'er the size of her ath?

7:17 AM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh WOW! I'm nearly a celebrity! I get headline mentions at the Fortress!!! I do stir things up! Pastor Paul says that all the time! Thank you for giving the question such good attention! I AM going to talk to PP first chance I get to see how he responds. But I do suspect it will be the same.

You know... I really think you might be taking this whale story too lightly! I'm betting there IS a whale! You know it may have piggy backed in as a runt on the wings of a pelican or something... who KNOWS how it got there? I think Willie SAW it! Poor little orphan whale...

13? REALLY? Wow! I just blew past that one, didn't I?

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah it's a sin if the intention is their to hurt or gain from it.

But when my kids ask me if the picture they painted (that is truly not art-worthy) is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen...I always say yes!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

OK, why break a long-standing habit? I might die of shock if I ever get one of your internet facts right!

I do so agree - it's a sin to lie, but the unvarnished truth can be so hurtful, and hurting others is surely also a sin.

8:27 AM  
Blogger LoieJ said...

I am currently "in a community near you" (relatively speaking.) Hope you are not experiencing floods. We saw plenty of rain yesterday in Milwaukee, but then left and drove north away from it. Raining here now, by the "great" lake.

8:31 AM  
Blogger SuzySnoo said...

Thank you for the saying of the day - never heard it before - love it - meant for me.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Okay... Pastor Paul and I ONLY had a very few minutes - being Sunday and service and all... and then I had to practice with the women for a Father's Day song we're all going to sing next Sunday... so... I ONLY told him the same scenario I put on my blog, and what HE said is... A lie is a lie and it's always a sin, BUT (he skirted it from a different angle!) he doesn't think I lied! And even if I DID, God forgives me - even if I didn't ask for forgiveness, because he knows my intention! Soooooo PRETTY much he said the same thing.

I'm so glad you had a great day today! Sorry you got trounced at Canasta! I haven't played that game in about 30 years! I used to LOVE it though!

6:21 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

OH! And your alter is so pretty! I love the windows. We have stained glass behind the alter too -- but ours is blocks of it and it forms the cross -- it's way up high -- we have cathedral ceilings... I'll have to see if I can get a good picture to share!

6:24 PM  
Blogger MedStudentWife said...

I'm catching up on your posts...

No.7 was going to be my pick, but I missed the word "only".. but I thought there are others that do just as well.

But something about the Anders Celsius caught my eye.... something from my early days in high school & I thought - "that one could also be true".

You do have a knack, Dr.John of spinning a yarn.. must be your days on the ore boats *lol*.. sailors can wave those tales :)

I like the music you have added to your blog !!! I can almost hear Glenn Gould humming in the background ( a habit he had when playing which recording technicians could never quite cut out from their recordings)

5:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home