Saturday, June 07, 2008

More Great Internet Facts

Saying for the Day- The greatest enemy of any one of our truths may be the rest of our truths. ~William James

Today I perform my weekly public service. I give you fifteen internet facts . These are things that you can astonish your friends with. Of the fifteen “facts” one is a “real fact”. Past real facts have included the Mona Lisa has no eyebrows , Jimmy Carter was the first US. President to be born in a hospital., the original name of Bank of America was Bank of Italy, Gatorade was developed in Florida, and the simplest and most popular cosmological model predicts that you have a twin in a galaxy about 10 to 10 to the 28 meters from here. .
. But the facts I make up could be true. I am a really good maker upper. In any case you can tell your friends “ It must be true because I read it on the internet. Today’s list:

1. The largest canary of record weighed 42.73 pounds and was raised in Brazil.

2. The DNA of a canary is closer to the DNA of an Eagle than to that of a Sparrow.

3. Natives on a South American Island worship the shoes left by a white explorer they thought was God.

4. The predecessor of the German firm LGB, which sells electric trains world wide, was making electric trains before Lionel.

5. Some 22 % of Americans label themselves as shy.

6. The Video game “ Zelda” is based on the book “ Zelda Meets the Empire” by Edgar Rice Buroughs.

7. The only watches that tell the absolute correct time are those that are broken and they only do it twice a day.

8. Olive Oil freezes at –27 degrees Fahrenheit .

9. “Don’t Step on My Blue Suede Shoes” is the official rock song of Ohio.

10. The color yellow is seen to play a significant role in the development of mental disease.

11. More candy canes are consumed in December than chocolate bars.

12. Only one out of every 2000 people will live to be 100 years old.

13. The original Celsius scale had boiling at 0 and freezing at 100. The readings were reversed only after Anders Celsius died.

14. People who chew bubble gum live longer than people who don’t.

15. The smallest dinosaur was about the size of a mouse.

There you have them. Fifteen wonderful “internet facts”. You can tell them to your friends and say you saw it on the internet. Would the internet lie?
Leave a comment telling me which one you think is the fact I didn’t make up. I will publish that bit of information tomorrow.


#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal .The Liar’s Club met in special session last night. The members are very upset. It seems that the list of Pigeon Days events left out the Liar’s Club annual Liar’s contest. The club is talking about not letting their sixty five piece band march in the parade. The three members of the band are willing to sit this years parade out in protest as well as not taking part in any of the events. The grand and glorious Liar , Buddy East tried to calm them by telling them he talked to Mayor Trumble and leaving them out was not done on purpose. In fact as soon as the Town Council meets there will be a public apology and a new schedule would be issued. The club then voted to accept the apology when it is offered. Tom Hietila who is one of the three members of the sixty five piece Liar’s Club band said he was kind of looking forward to the summer off.
In other business the club voted to begin this years contest on the second week of July. They are looking forward to great stories. Consideration is also being given to another internet contest since last year’s was such a success. This years internet theme would be “Small town meets mythical creature or creatures”. The committee is still working out the rules for the contest.
******

Today's Link-Drowsey Monkey- A bit about Buffy the Vampire Slayer
A really great day. I went with Betty and Pennie to buy flowers for Pennie's yard. Then we went grocery shopping. I got out of the fortress. My son Peter called and he was coming down for a visit but then the storm came and the tornado watch and he changed his mind. I spent the afternoon reading. I finished thje book only to discover it was part of a trilogy. I hate trilogies. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

So the three member sixty five piece band is part of the Liars club? I bet there really aren't 65 pieces in that band.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

morning,
you are right, you are a pretty good maker upper :)

i can't figure out which one is the true one but i'll say that 3, 14 are not true (?) and yellow is my right now (with green) favorite color and has been for a while, i hope that one is wrong too, lol...

hope you had a good breathing night. hugs to you and family. it is raining here again and even though many are grummbling i enjoy it lots. going out for my many walks under it with my dog.

enjoy your day.
xo

6:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A 42 pound canary...? A giant tweetie bird? Ha!

Umm I'm at a loss this week!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Know how you like trains Dr John I got to say it is #4, watch me be wrong. A Blessed Weekend is wished for you and Betty

8:58 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Never ceases to amaze me that I can't figure out which ONE is true!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number 7 is true. Only a stopped watch tells the exact correct time twice per day.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

However, I have a picture of a 42 pound canary.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

Yes, but I like number 15! The thought of a mouse-sized dinosaur is very pleasing.

I love the 65 piece Liars' Club band!

2:02 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Oh I ABSOLUTELY think the Liars SHOULD hold an internet contest this year! Yes indeedy! Give EVERYBODY a chance to tell a WHOPPER! And I DO hope the Town Council apologizes because really what would the parade BE without the 65 piece Liars Club Band???

As for today's fun facts... I am torn this week... I'm nearly positive there are NO 42 pound canaries... not that there couldn't be... The DNA thing sounds feasible, and even probable, but I don't think that's IT either. I think I actually once read a story about shoes and the White God... or I could be making it up... I'm almost CERTAIN LGB did not start producing electric trains before Lionel -- Hubby is IN to trains too, ya know... I think MORE than 22% of Americans label themselves "shy"... Not buyin' the Zelda thing... I've heard where it came from, but I don't remember - I just don't think that's it. The watch thing - nah! Pretty much ANYTHING will freeze at -27 degrees... but I think it will freeze before that! Do states HAVE official Rock songs? I've heard of RED being related to mental illness... not sure about yellow... I do NOT think 1 out of every 2000 people live to be 100. Way fewer than that! I HAVE heard that chewing gum helps people study - so they could be SMARTER than people who don't -- and maybe smarter people live longer?!! I've heard about the smallest dinosaur and it wasn't THAT small! Oh meeeeeee... oh myyyyyyyy... which to choose? I think I'm going with the CANDY CANES! I think that is true! REALLY true. Even though I don't eat them!

I'll be back! Gotta find out!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

AND... I do AGREE with Quilly (about the watches) ... but I think you made that one up!

3:32 PM  
Blogger MYM said...

Why, thank you for the mention, I appreciate it :)

6:57 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

I am adding this for your number 7:

Many years ago, the Swiss Army decided to buy a computer system for its strategic planning. Once it was installed, the test started. The asked the computer:

We have two watches. One is a Rolex made of gold, costing 50'000 dollars. It runs one minute late per month. The other one is a Swatch costing 100 dollars. It does not work at all. Which one should we get rid off?

The computer started to calculate and after about 20 minutes gave the answer:

Get rid of the Rolex, it never shows the correct time. The Swatch gives the correct times twice a day. Are you satisfied with my answer?

The Generals answered: Yes.

The computer asked: Yes, what?

The General's reply: Yes, Sir!

8:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home