Friday, June 13, 2008

Here he Comes to save the Day.

Saying for the day: Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza. ~Dave Barry

Remember the old Mighty Mouse cartoon when things got really desperate then you would hear the words “ Mighty Mouse is on his way” and you knew everything would be alright.
That’s what I want my Friday entries to be. The good news that help is on the way.
We are threatened by Global Warming on the one hand and dependence on foreign oil on the other. Our economy is a shambles. Gas is up to $4.00 a gallon. Congress is too busy playing politics.
Never fear Mighty Mouse is on his way.
I am scouring the net, reading all the scientific journals I can find and where I see light I will share it with you.
Today I have found a technique which if fully utilized would save the equivalent of three million tons of coal a year. That’s a lot of CO2 not going into the atmosphere.
Further this is not an experimental technique. It is already in use by a British company. Indeed a British Company, Pursuit Dynamics, is marketing this remarkable invention.
What is this magic contraption? It is a wort heater that fires steam at the wort at 3000 feet per second.
If you don’t know what wort is your not much of a beer drinker. Wort is what you get after you soak your malted barley in water. Then it has to be heated to get rid of impurities.
Enter the stream blaster. It breaks the wart in droplets which heat twice as fast cutting the brewing time and using only half as much energy as regular brewing.
At the moment Shepherd Neame, Britain’s oldest brewery , is using the technique to make its Spitfire Lagers and ales. With no complaints from the customers.
As energy costs increase more and more breweries will convert.
As this happens you can do your part to help end Global Warming by only drinking beer that says it is steam blasted on the can.
All beer drinkers need to make this little sacrifice to save the world.
Now tell your favorite bar that they need to import Spitfire Lager and why.
Beer drinkers of the world we are counting on you.

#### News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Sergeant York left for Canada on the milk train this morning. He is convinced that the local whale sighting is a hoax just like the White Rabbit. He shared with Eino that the White Rabbit was malfunctioning when he saw it. The eye just kept blinking and blinking and blinking. As a RCMP he notices things like that. Tommy UK told Eino that the rabbit might have had something in its eye. In any case the RCMP is gone back to check on his own whale.

The Liar’s Club announced the rules for their summer internet contest.
1. The stories can be of any length.
2. The story must be about some creature that can’t exist like a dragon or an elf or any of hundreds of fantasy creatures.
3. It must include a small town.
4. It must seem plausible on the face of it.
5. Judging will be by a local ( loco) panel.
6. There will be a Best Liar’s Plaque and a ten dollar gift certificate for the winner.
7. Stories must be submitted by July 20, 2008.
8. Entries should be e-mailed to
jlinna@new.rr.com
The Grand and Glorious Liar Buddy East hopes this years entries will be as good as last years.
The judging panel hopes one will be far better than the others since they had such a hard time judging last years.
******

Today's link-Guilty with an Explanation-- A lesson in whineing.

18 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Did Sgt York's horse ride the milk train too? Is he still a Mounted Police if he doesnt use a horse?

6:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the wine world we are working hard to reduce our carbon footprint. One of the ideas is to used recycled bottles or glass to make the bottles however becuase wine is expensive many people are against it. I hope we can come up with better alternatives soon. Wine in a box is just not that fun but an alternative.

7:06 AM  
Blogger SuzySnoo said...

Spitfire Lager - steam blasted beer. Ok gottcha!!! :)
And thanks for letting me know about something in my own backyard I didn't know about!!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Carletta said...

Mighty Mouse is here to save the day - I can so remember lying on the floor with my head propped on my arm watching that on TV!

Interesting story on the beer - I can hear the commercial now - save the world by drinking steam blasted beer - catchy!

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Want to help the economy? If car taxes were assessed on the SIZE of the vehicle one drove (as they are commercially)there would be one heck of a lot less gas guzzling SUVs on the road. I think anyone who drives one of them is pretty much wearing a sign that says, "Hi! I am socially irresponsible."

8:46 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I get it....Drink more beer (steam blasted). Save the planet.

9:14 AM  
Blogger Dragonstar said...

I want to know about the horse, too. I'm still worried he might try to be a dragon-rider!

10:54 AM  
Blogger juliana said...

i guess the surrent situation really calls for a mighty mouse (coo, that cartoon even made it to here) but since he is fictional, hooray for beer!

1:24 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

Sending prayers for you - and hoping they're not necessary and that you were just having too much fun for an evening update today! God bless you!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

HEY! Where's my FIRST comment of the day??? Wellllll.... what I HAD said was...

I'm so sorry... I don't drink beer. I guess I can help save the world. And I'm not sure I can do plausible fantasy. I'm not sure I can DO fantasy... but I'm gonna give it a go! I will be MORE than happy if I simply refrain from boring you to death!

8:29 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

There are GREMLINS on your comments today! That should say I CAN'T help save the world! Sheeeeeesh....

8:30 PM  
Blogger Melli said...

So now that I've left three (now four) comments in a row, I hope you didn't get TOO excited thinking that LOTS of visitors had shown up all of a sudden! If you did, I apologize!

8:31 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Good news Friday? Now what's not to love about that. I have to tell you I am teetotal so can't help with this one. I'll have to do something else to save the world I'm afraid.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Saving the world. One beer at a time.

7:08 AM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Can realiives of this blogger (such as a grandaughter) enter?
oh well I will make one for you to read even if I can't win.

1:47 PM  
Blogger jane said...

Dr. John,

Where are you? I hope everything is okay! Karington and I are truly missing our story.

Hope to see you at church

Jane Hartley

8:23 PM  
Blogger Amber Star said...

I had heard that Brazil had plenty of ethanol made from sugar cane, but they couldn't export it to us, because there is such a tax the US puts on it. Go figure. Oh well, maybe the wort thing will work out. I don't drink much, but I do have a beer from time to time. I'll see if I can find that kind of beer...and actually try and figure out how that saves the world other than not thinking about it all that much for a few hours. We were away from tv and internet for a few days while visiting our first born who refuses to have internet connection in her home, and has only recently allowed tv. It is located in a sort of out of the way place and we really didn't watch very much. Anyway, to get back to this...I didn't know they were trying to impeach President Bush while we were away for like 3 days! Wow! And my favorite news reporter died suddenly. And how is it that bashing the wort saves so much energy...do they use the wort for fuel or something? I'm so confused.

9:00 PM  
Blogger bettygram said...

Dr John has been ill starting after lunch on Friday. Please pray that it will be a short time.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home