Thursday, November 15, 2007

A Lesson


Saying for the Day-The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.Eden Phillpotts:







"Stewardesses" is the longest word typed with only the left hand ...


And "lollipop" is the longest word typed with your right hand. (Bet you tried this out mentally, didn't you?)



No word in the English language rhymes with month, orange, silver, or purple.







"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt".? (Are you doubting this?)








The sentence: "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" uses every letter of the alphabet. (Now, you KNOW you're going to try this out for accuracy, right?)




The words 'racecar,' 'kayak' and 'level' are the same whether they are read left to right or right to left (palindromes).


There are only four words in the English language which end in "dous": tremendous, horrendous, stupendous, and hazardous.



There are two words in the English language that have all five vowels in order: "abstemious" and "facetious." (Yes, admit it, you are going to say, a e i o u)


TYPEWRITER is the longest word that can be made using the letters only on one row of the keyboard. (All you typists are going to test this out)




The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.




Now you know more than you did before!!


###News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. Pigeon Falls is short on men . They have all, or almost all, taken to the woods to hunt deer. It is a test of manhood. One little man with a high powered rifle against a vicious life threatening deer. At any moment the deer may charge and crush the poor guy. One also gets to eat strange food prepared under primitive conditions where both the cook and the food contain large amounts of alcohol.
If you need a plumber or carpenter in the next few days and you live in Pigeon Falls you are out of luck. They are all out in the woods. The hardware store is closed as are several other businesses . Even the school has closed until next week. The teachers and older boys have all gone hunting. Wink’s and Kivi&Maki are still open but being run by women. Jack’s Sauna is open but his wife is in charge as Jack is out to camp. Nancy and the poltergeist are keeping her place open but Nancy’s new husband is at some hunting camp.
Petrovich, however, has chosen to stay home. He says he is too busy translating driblets to indulge in such nonsense. He has nothing against deer though his wife is upset with the one that ate her flowers.
******

Today's Link-Deer Camp Blog-A brave hunter and his prize.
Another dull day. The very nature of my life. I blogged. I packed up the last things I sold on eBay and last week's contest prize and Betty took them to the Post Office. My sister Chris called.I fiddled on the computer. I worked in the basement. Betty went to Bible Study. I brought up some new items to sell on eBay.My sister Dawn called. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

11 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I have always thought of Petrovich as a bit of a girly-man. :-)

7:06 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Great facts, I'm now smarter today than I was last night.

Typewriter - I wonder why this is?

7:56 AM  
Blogger Stacy said...

I had heard a few of those before, but did learn a couple of new things.

Deer season doesn't start here until the Monday after Thanksgiving. We're heading into bear season.

8:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm rooting for the deer. And I did have to think about all those lessons.

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am determined to now make up words that rhyme with month, orange, silver and purple.

10:26 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

now who figures this stuff out i ask? this is hillarious and how is it that automatically my brain had to try some of them out, lol.

i love this, it was fun. thank you. this is the 2nd entertaining blog i just read..(Quilly was the first,those 2 are funny).

hope all is well. i congratulate you on
Brea, i just read what Lori wrote and your family is just so wonderful.

love and hugs to all. hope your breathing is great today.

10:37 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I love fun facts.

2:21 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

So much to see
So much to enjoy
The wonder of it all
will never seize to amaze
will always endure/perdure

2:59 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Guess they're right when they say you learn something new everyday. And, yes, I did work them all out in my head for accuracy. Your fortress is part of my blog post today.

3:54 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

THe only one I knew before today is the quick brown fox one.....

4:00 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

All wonderful points of wisdom, for sure. For us typists.....:):)

Boring is a type of lifestyle that fits some of us nicely. I no longer seek excitement, wouldn't know what to do with it, and it would probably kill me. haha

2:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home