Monday, November 12, 2007

The Train Show

Saying for the day- Walk on the grass and have fun with life.It's sure better than letting life get you down."
Peace,
[Neil Colton]

On Saturday I went to Trainfest in Milwaukee. It was a great experience but I learned some things.
1. It is better to go to a big train show at noon than early in the morning.
We got there about a half hour after the show started and the line was thirty minutes long to the ticket window and the handicapped parking was full.
2. The men’s restroom outside the exhibit hall is locked.
You can’t get into the exhibit without a ticket.( Don’t take lasix before leaving home) The wait for tickets was thirty long , long, long minutes.
3. It is impossible to get good pictures in large crowds.
We brought three cameras and got no pictures.
4. Always charge the battery in your power chair before a big event.
As I started the ride in on my power chair ( ie. glorified scooter) I noticed the arrow indicating the charge was in the middle of the green zone. The show went on it dropped into the yellow zone , and as we were leaving it fell into the red. The last couple of blocks to the car I put it in neutral and the boys pushed me. Just a little extra excitement.
5. There are no real bargains until the second day of a two day show.
All of the O scale models I saw were overpriced. We did buy a lumber mill for the layout.
6. Things are not always as they seem–
I got to see the Coor’s Special Train that so excited me a month or so ago . It was not nearly as nice as it had looked in the little videos. It was a bit of a disappointment.
7. Fudruckers makes good hamburgers.
My kids dragged me there after the train show saying I just had to try their hamburgers. They were good but not that good.
8. . My grandchildren prefer bow and arrows to trains.
The boys seemed to enjoy the show but afterwards when their dad stopped to get Alex the bow and arrow he promised him for his birthday was when they really got excited.
9. For my needs the train show in Green Bay (Titletown Train Show) is a better show.
10. Any of the above not withstanding I am glad I got to go.
We really need that mill.


News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The town has cleaned up after the big craft show. All the tables are back where they are supposed to be, the street has been swept, and the last pasty has been eaten.
Now the planning has begun for next years bigger and better show. People are thinking of what to make and how to exhibit it. There is some talk about buying the old barn on the edge of town and redoing it as an exhibit hall. It is still in good shape but since the farmer, Josh McDougl , died it has stood vacant. The family, which lives in Idaho has rented out the farmhouse and might be willing to sell that corner of the property. It is doubtful it will ever be farmed again. A committee has been formed to look into it.
Petrovich says he has translated some more interesting driblets but none of them pertain to Pigeon Falls. He will be putting some on his website in the days to come. People are just glad they don’t pertain to them.
The community Christmas tree is coming right along. New ornaments are being added every day and people are bringing their visitors down to point out their contribution to the tree. This was a great idea on Mrs. Tumble’s part.
****

Today's Links- Lyon Valley Northern- A model train blog. seems right for today.
Well another really dull day comes to an end. I visited all my links and left comments on most of them. I found that a lot of people are sick or in pain. Life can be toughy. I brought up some more cars to post on eBay but didn't get it done. Betty made cup cakes for the community table. The dog got all kinds of burs stuck on her ear. Just your ordinary nothing much happening day. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

15 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

Here is the comment I tried to leave on Louisiana's blog, but it was deleted and banned:

This is good.

I appreciate the attempt to air things out but, as with all conflicts in life, there are 2 sides to the story. That's all anyone needs to remember.

I am not going to offer mine here, but I will offer this: My name is Jerry, my email address is cuppojoe@gmail.com, and anyone who would like to form an opinion, take a stand, or just hear the other 20% of the story that remains unsaid can feel free to ask.

I have nothing to hide. I will admit to any and all transgressions openly (just not randomly on the Internet). Much has been said here, but much has been left out as well.

Jerry

5:44 AM  
Blogger Chris Lyon said...

Hi Dr John. All your experiences about big railway shows are bang on. Here is a link to make your day. Our our convention/show was small (250 people) and it was limited to those who payed a convention ticket price. There were clinics, banquet and great vendors (hand picked).

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18828

http://www.railroad-line.com/

6:00 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

What! A driblet without Pigeon Falls? It is like a day without sunshine.
:-)

In my opinion, Culvers has the best burgers -- tho Five Guys out here are a very close second.

6:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John -- it is just as well you were disappointed with the Coors Train. The Pigeon Falls milk run doesn't need any less wholesome competition.

11:32 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Lovely post ..Ive never been to a train show.
Next time charge your battery;)
Take care and love to Betty.

11:45 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

"As I started the ride in on my power chair ( ie. glorified scooter) I noticed the arrow indicating the charge was in the middle of the green zone. The show went on it dropped into the yellow zone , and as we were leaving it fell into the red. The last couple of blocks to the car I put it in neutral and the boys pushed me. Just a little extra excitement."

Talk about having your cake and eating it too. Nothing like an electric ride, and putting it into neutral when the batteries go flat, (as long as you don't have to 'push' up hill).

2:32 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, do you ever post pictures of your train layout? I would love to see it. Especially with the new lumber mill...!

It sounds really quite amazing.

2:56 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Sounds like a time for fresh air and getting out for a day trip. I'm sure the unexpected things just added to the excitement of the outing.

But no, Dr. John - you didn't pee your pants did you?

3:33 PM  
Blogger -atomik kitten said...

The doc wanted to put me on Loratab but that makes me mean. So he put me on Darvocet, but I am getting a lot of break through pain. I go to ortho on Wednesday morning to make sure I didn't tear the ligament or tendon or whatever it is, too. Please pray for me, Dr. John. I really feel like I am under attack by the devil.

4:24 PM  
Blogger BBC said...

Hey doc, how is it hanging?

6:01 PM  
Blogger Chris Beason said...

Sounds like you needed an ordinary day or two after that train show!

6:25 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

We love Fuddruckers!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

thank you dr. John for your comment. i am glad i didn't let you or me down. i just needed it to let it out and now it's done..

I'M FREE! I thank you and so many others that have been kind to me and have helped me.

it is done and now moving on..i can't wait to see your new display.

i'm sorry some of our friends are in pain or sick.
i hope all is well for them soon.

i don't know what burs are. sorry your doggy got them, i will go and look the word up in the dictionary.

have a wonderful night. sweet dreams and good breathing.

love and hugs always. xoxoxoo

9:11 PM  
Blogger zzyytt said...

adidas superstars
adidas store
john wall shoes
off white jordan 1
coach outlet
gucci belts
golden goose sneakers
adidas shoes outlet
nhl jerseys
yeezy boost 350

7:42 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

cheap jordans
louboutin outlet
chrome hearts outlet
hogan outlet
air max 97
nike epic react flyknit
balenciaga sneakers
cheap nba jerseys
christian louboutin shoes
golden goose

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home