Tuesday, November 13, 2007

eBay Just Won't Go Away

Saying for the day-The smaller the sale, the greater the number of sales you have to make.

Ebay is one strange place. I am selling off my old G scale train stuff and I have no idea what people will bid big money on. Things I expect will get lots of bids get very few and some of those I expect to be lucky if I get one bid get many.
The sellers are strange as well ( not including me of course). I am looking at selling some HO EZ track so I thought I would look and see how much was already for sale. I discovered one fellow with three sets of track all with a starting bid of $.01. Now EZ track isn’t cheap so I figured he must have a reserve. That’s where the bidding starts at one price but it doesn’t count until the reserve price which is hidden is reached. When you bid a little sign comes up that says “reserve not met”.
Now I am a curious person by nature. So I checked this man’s offerings every day for two days. Nobody bid on them. They bid on EZ track all around his but not on his. Here were sixteen pieces of track worth at least $20 offered for $.01 and nobody bid.
That was the problem. I couldn’t take it any more so I bid a penny on one of them. There was no reserve. Suddenly I was the high bidder. I had come to sell EZ track and now I was bidding on it. This did not make Betty happy. She still remembers all the trestle I bought on eBay the last time I got carried away. She kept asking “what are you going to do with sixteen more pieces of track.” As if I knew. I kept telling her it was only a penny. That’s when she asked how much the postage was. “Just $8.00” I told her. Which of course made her even more unhappy.
It was a seven day placement. So every day I checked to see if somebody outbid me but coming into the last day they still hadn’t. I checked this morning and some wonderful person had bid $.06. I was off the hook. There were thirteen hours to go. I wonder if it will get up over a dollar?
That $.06 certainly made Betty happy.

News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my basement where the trains still run, dragons fly, and life is back to normal. The big news in Pigeon Falls today is all about Bonnie McGregor. You know Bonnie. She lives just down the road from Mrs. Trumble but on the other side of the road, just beyond the Gorman Oak. She is fifty two years old and has raised three children. Roy has married and lives in Florida. He has two children. Jill has a PHD from Michigan State and teaches at Northern Michigan University. And Tracy who married a local contractor and lives on the other side of Pigeon Falls with her three children.
Well the news is that grandma Bonnie is pregnant. She didn’t think that was possible because she thought she was going through menopause. She had hot flashes, mood swings, change in the duration of her periods, trouble sleeping, all the signs were there. But last week she felt really sick. So she went to the Doctor who sent her to Iron Mountain where they ran all kinds of tests and there is no question but that she is pregnant. The question now is should she have the baby or an abortion. Russel, her husband, says he’s ready for another kid. It will keep them young. Bonnie is not that sure that she wants to be young again. Russel never changed diapers. Russel never got up in the middle of the night to feed the baby. Russel never went to parent teacher meetings . But Bonnie is and always has been against abortion. So she will have to be young even if she doesn’t want to.
Nancy says that’s all people are talking about when they come in for coffee. It’s almost like something out of the bible except Russel almost never goes to Church so he’s no Abraham.
******

Today's Link-Catnabbit- Some thoughts on a fat cat by a blogger that only blogs once a month.
Had a busy day today. We got the last car ordered from eBay ou and a package to my sister. We stopped on the way back and ordered some small boxes. Then I worked in the basement and Betty in the kitchen. I brought up another item to sell. Then I placed four items on sale at eBay.
Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

6 Comments:

Blogger Stacy said...

Wow. If only I was in the market for train track, I could get myself a real bargain.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

That is probably good news for Bonnie that Russel is no Abraham. No need to worry that he will offer her up to some king just to save his hide.

10:16 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

You say .o6 makes Betty very happy????? I think I will get her that for Christmas! Shhhhh...do not tell her!

12:12 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I find ebay confusing, but you sure were lucky.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

That's odd, I hope you get more for your track than .06 cents. You should try listing it with bonus prize. Winning bidder picks whats behind door #1, 2, 3.

Could be a pencil, could be double the track, could be a carrier car?

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have done exactly what you did, Dr. John. Tell Betty that curiosity is just too compelling to resist. I am glad someone saved you.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home