Sunday, April 29, 2007

Going to Church

Saying for the day- Sometime the soul needs refreshing.

When I was in the active ministry and would visit people would give me all kinds of excuses for not going to church. What most of them boiles down to were that they didn’t need the church to worship God.
They were right. You don’t.
But I need the church . I need the church to feed my spirit. I need the church to help me grow. I need the church to remind me that I’m a sinner. I need the church to help shape the vision of what god wants me to do. I really do need the church.
I say this because for two weeks I have been unable to worship in church because I was sick. I prayed at home. I read the bible. But I missed being surrounded by people filled with the Holy Spirit. I missed singing Jesus Loves Me. I missed the reading of the Word. I missed the good news of Christ brought buy the Pastor. I thirsted for what only the church could give me. Others can do without the church but I can’t.
So today I return. I am so excited.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and the town dreams one dream.-On Saturday the town had that dream again. Now they are trying to understand.
Some were not happy with the role the dream gave them to play. Eino says he never wanted to be the law officer. But there he was hauling people off to the stocks.
Nancy found herself running the Blue Garter Inn. There was no bar but people drank in the common room. There was no coffee and the girls working for her were dressed like bar maids of long ago. She had Jack to handle the patrons if they got rowdy.
Tommy UK was just a kid but he opened the fence so Mrs. Maki’s dog could get to the sheet on the line. Even in dreams he’s into some kind of trouble. You can bet that if the dream continues he’ll end up in the stocks.
All day Saturday people were stopping at Nancy’s and sharing what happened in their part of the dream.
Pastor Moe found it interesting that he was the Catholic priest, the Priest was the Bishop, and the Methodist Pastor was a Healing Monk.
Somebody remarked on the fact that there were no birds in the dream. Not even a single pigeon or sparrow. Not one bird flew in those skies. Perhaps, the dragon ate them.
One of the farmers remarked that he was farming but he didn’t know what the crop was that he was growing except it wasn’t potatoes. The deer were a bother in the dream as well but you weren’t permitted to kill them. They belonged to the King.They had to intention of ending up in the stocks.With any luck they could get the King’s archer to come and clear the field for them.
People are not sure what to make of the whole thing. Tommy UK said its like a good movie with no $5.00 ticket price. They need to just lay back and enjoy.
Will they dream again? Will Tommy UK get into trouble in the dream? Is there even an undertaker in this dream town? Will Pastor Moe rise to the level of Bishop ? Will the priest become Pope? Will our Methodist Monk be burned at the stake for trying to reform the church ?
*****

Today's Link-Spring Rain Drops-A Gramp and his Grand child( so cute)- Leave a Dr. John in the comment please.
Another good day. Betty and I went to church. It was a wonderful service. There was baptism and a hymn sing. It really lifted the spirit. We came home and my son Patrick grilled for lunch. He does a good job. While Betty , Pennie, Alex and I played canasta the boys played with the dog, Patrick cut the grass, and Curtis worked on getting our television set up. Alex and I won. Late in the afternoon, Pat, the boys, and Curtis went back to Madison. I did some work at catching up some loose ends from the dragon story contest caused by the fact that I have almost terminal procrastination. ( To go slower I'd have to be dead). Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA
GBYA

6 Comments:

Blogger QUASAR9 said...

The Dream within the dream
sometimes like a like beam
others just like ice-cream
or like finding a gold seam

the train letting off steam
the smile broad like a beam
gentle river flowing stream
The Dream within the dream

5:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is very much how I feel about attending church.

6:03 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

I am glad you are able to make it to church to worship with the faithful. And I feel and teach the same about attending worship. Yes, one can be with God anywhere, but to be a christian, most of us need the company of other christians to support us in walking in Christ's ways.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I need my Church family too Dr John. I truly feel the love and warmth when I enter my Church.I am glad you are able to attend today! I had to miss b/c I worked last night. I took everything with me to get ready for Church from work....but I forgot to take my slacks and top!

12:00 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

I know that feeling. Thank you for sharing.
I quoted you in Part IV of "Why Bloggers Blog" Sunday night. Hope that's okay.

9:08 PM  
Blogger Anvilcloud said...

You never know where you're going to show up on the net. Thanks for linking to Raindrops.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home