Saturday, April 28, 2007

644

Saying for the day: Some numbers are worth more than they add up to.

644 that was the telephone number of the drug store. Not just any drug store but our drug store. Linna’s Drug was run by my maiden Aunt Ida, my Uncle Harold, and my Aunt Viola. My dad was also listed as a pharmacist on the store licensee though he seldom worked there.
The phone the number belonged to was black ( weren’t they all back then?)and sat in the far rear left corner on a glass counter. That was the only phone.
There were no control panels under the main counter so you could be directed top the phone in the pharmacy or the phone at the candy counter. There was no phone in the pharmacy or at the candy counter. This was it.
In fact old 644 was the only phone in the building. The family lived upstairs but decided not to have a phone up their. You couldn’t get them in the middle of the night. If a call came for somebody who was upstairs there was a buzzer and you could “ buzz them down”.
If I called 644 to talk to my parents to find out what to do with a foster baby that wouldn’t stop crying my Aunt Ida would say they were playing canasta wait until they come home.
Sometimes during the holiday when I filled in at the store as a clerk the phone would ring and I would answer it and it would be a Doctor. Not a secretary but a real doctor. I would say in a hushed tone “ It’s a doctor”. One of life’s special moments.
I have forgotten almost every phone number I have ever had and keep forgetting the one I have now but 644 will always stay with me.It was a special phone in a special time.

@@@@News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and people dream a common dream.– At two this morning the entire town of Pigeon Falls entered again into a common dream. Again each person was themselves in the dream.
It was an ordinary day in Oiseaux Morts :
The King’s Constable (Ein) had to stop a sword fight between two men who had a bit too much to drink. You could see they had been soldiers because they used their swords in the classical style. The first used the traditional “cat’ s tail swinging” as his opening move and the other countered with “little dog kicks dirt“ Then they both did a couple of”deer jumps over the fence“ .That’s when Eino did the classical “ hit em in the head with a stick” and wapped each of them with his walking stick. He then hauled them off to the stocks at the center of town.
As he was draging them he was passed by a hand made white sheet being pulled by Mrs. Maki’s dog. The kids just loved that. Mrs. Maki will have to find some way to keep that dog penned up when she washes.
He put our two drunks in the stocks next to the Anderson who were there because they had become a “ public nuisance”. Mrs. Anderson threw something and hit a neighbor and she screamed for Eino.
On the other side of the Ansersons are two farmers who got caught poaching the King’s deer. They’ll be in the stocks for a bit.
Down on the end of the street at the big Catholic Church Father Moe is finishing another dull sermon for Sunday Mass.
Just an ordinary day at Oiseaux Morts .
Every once in a while the dragon flys up and down the main street and all is well with the world.
****

Today's Link- Ranch Ramblings- Just a blog with some horsin around-Leave a Dr. John in the comment.
I had a wonderful day. From 9-12:00 I went to the train show. My soon rented me a scooter type thing to sit on and drive around it was great. The Train Show was better than last year . There were so many active layouts. My grandsons loved them. They would come running and tell me what they saw. I bought a street car. In the afternoon we went to Paete's house and Betty, Pennie, Lori, and I played canasta. Aside from the interuptions it was a good game. Betty and I won. I didn't come anywhere near a computer all day. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

7 Comments:

Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

It is surprising how we remember certain telephone numbers. Our Telephone number at home ended in 3867, the neighours were 3866. It was a party line way back then, when a call came in you had to be careful to listen to the ring tones. Ours was one long and two short. The neighbours were one long and one short.

Reading this post brought back a lot of memories. Thank you for sharing.

(PS)

If you visit my blog I posted something last night since your last visit I think you'll like to see.

Enjoy Dr John, it is nice to have a wonderful blogging friend like you.

5:56 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Ahhhhhhh, those were the days....

6:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still remember my Gram's phone number -- and she's been dead for more years then I dialed those 4 numbers! And can you believe it -- until I was 9 there were only 4 numbers. I must be older then I think!

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an interesting piece of history!

I never thought of it before, but in a small town, with so many people who know each other so well ... it might not be so strange to have a collective dream?

7:23 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I bet you have many good memories of the drug store. Now they have to have phones all over the place plus cell phones. Im sure things were much smoother back then, with all of our technology Im not sure we are any further ahead and we certainly lack the personal touch these days that memories are made of. Sad, huh?

7:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting and nostalgic post. I would like to hear more drug store stories.

Also nice to see you are feeling better.

8:12 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol Dr John,
One bird in hand
worth more than a thousand ...

It takes Two to Tango
and Three to Triangle
and Four to score more
Five to stay Alive
and six to make a mix
Seven to enter Heaven!

Have a nice Sabbath, Sunday
or seventh day!
Whatever your rest day may be.

2:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home