Sunday, April 15, 2007

Too Much Stuff

Saying for the Day:The pers0n with lots of stuff when he dies is just as dead as a person who dies with nothing.

Junk and stuff! In 44 years of married life we have accumulated a horrible amount of stuff and junk. When we went to seminary everything we owned fit in the car and it was a car not a van. When we left seminary everything we owned fit in a very small trailer. When we moved from our first parish to Crystal Falls everything we owned fit in a small truck, a “Baumann Egg Truck”. Yesterday it took two u-haul trucks, a big and a small, to take what was left of our stuff after all that Peter had taken with his van and stored in his garage.
There is no question but that we are accumulators. In the great big house in which we lived it didn’t look like that much. It was spread out and some was stored in closets we never went in. But here in the trucks we could see that we owned far too much. It might not even fit in our new small house.
It’s not that we didn’t try. We had three garage sales. We gave chairs and clothes to St. Vincent De. Paul. WE tried to get rid of stuff. We were just much better at taking and keeping than we were at getting rid of or letting go.
So here we are with a half a truck house and two trucks of stuff to put in it. I hope the basement will take it all.
I promise that I will begin to formulate a plan to get rid of most of this stuff.I’m just not sure when that will be.

@@@@ New from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, poltergeists do what they do, and life goes on as usual.-Yesterday will go down in Pigeon Falls history as the day of the second great battle. It was about noon when the dragon was first seen flying down the main street toward Nancy’s. It was carrying something that looked like a ray gun from the movies. Suddenly it was stopped, as before, in midair. The poltergeist had come to do battle. The dragon raised his claw and fired the gun. There were sparks like electricity and then there was the most horrible howl you have ever heard and suddenly the dragon lurched ahead and almost flew into Nancy’s shop. At the last moment it turned and flew up and down the street as if to say the town is mine. It was at this point Mrs. Trumble came out of the town hall carrying what looked like dragon slayer, her shotgun. The dragon seeing her took off across the top of the Masonic building and out into the woods. This round goes to the dragon or perhaps Mrs. Trumble.
It seems Mrs. Trumble had a wooden copy of her shotgun because there is a town ordinance forbidding the carrying of guns inside the town limits. So she really couldn’t have done much more than shake it at the dragon.
There were a lot of tourists who saw the battle. Sales went up at both Wink’s and Kivi&Maki’s . TommyUK said that if he only knew when these battles were going to take place he would sell popcorn. TommyTW said they are lucky that the battles haven’t harmed the town.
Petrovitch says he thinks there is a dribblet about an old lady with a stick fighting giants of the air but he can’t remember which one.
Is the poltergeist destroyed? Will the dragon return. Will Mrs. Trumble get the rule changed so she can bring her real shotgun? Will Petrovich ever fin the right dribblets. Would TommyUK really sell pop corn? And of course is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s son?
*****

Today's Link- Returns tomorrow I hope.
I got up and dressed for church this morning and then I realized I w3as too weak. That ride yesterday took everything out of me. Betty and Pennie went and I went back to bed. In the afternoon people came from the church and helped unload the trucks . I am so thankful. But I stayed in bed. I got up to eat and went back to bed though I feel stronger now. I hope to be near normal in the morning. I just had no energy for blogging. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a packrat, too, Dr. John. Every time we've moved the truck has been another size bigger. Maybe you could sign up for that show Clean Sweep? They make you get rid of stuff, but oh, the trauma.

Go Dragon! Zap that spook!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Don't forget to mention the week I spent with you....you got rid of a lot of stuff then!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Hey...I figured out how to leave comments again!!!!! Just in time for "Leave a comment Monday!"

7:06 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I really should leave comments for all the ones I missed but, I do not want to be too annoying...

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am getting ready to move to Hawaii. Considering the expense, everything not vital must go. I think I'll just pack my momentos and walk out of the house -- leave it all as is. The next person can just walk in, sit down and turn on the TV. Well, the cable will be disconnected.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

LOL So Mrs Trumble had a fake wooden gun. She actually thought that the fake gun would work better as a dragon slayer than her real dragon slayer. Too funny.

My friend says that it is incredible what people will buy on ebay. Maybe you ought to post some of your things on there.

7:26 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

lol Dr John -
And they both have one thing in common

10:29 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Whatever one accumulates, must be left behind
Whatever one gathers, one can only hold onto until ... then we all must let go
(no ifs and buts allowed)

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It can be really hard to get rif of stuff, even when you try. But I find that when I do I feel like I have accomplished something, an dless clutter brained. I guess there is something to feng shui afterall.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I am looking at a move possibly within the next month. There will be a few trips to the landfill with a lot of stuff. I am a sentimental cuss who can't part with the family nick-nacks and will have to keep them. With the things I bought here I figure I can sell and start over. Maybe I'll be like Quilldancer and leave as is, though the phone and cable will be turned off.

A Blessed day is wished for you and Betty.

10:56 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I know what you mean about accumulating so much stuff. When we bought this place our kids had started leaving home (a big old 7 bedroom farmhouse built in the mid 1800's). So, since more of them would be leaving home over the next few years, we opted for a smaller house and smaller mortgage to go with it. We went from that 7 bedroom house to this 3 bedroom one. Talk about learning what you need and what you don't in a hurry- we did some major downsizing. They say if you haven't used it in 6 months- get rid of it. But then, there are some things you just can't part with.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I had to read this post to my husband........he smiled. Here's the deal, from now on, we have to get rid of something before we can get anything new? Wonder if that will work. My husband saves everything.....the tops off the toothpaste, the containers that nuts come in, he even likes to keep the nice little jugs that my laundry detergent comes in. AND I do a lot of laundry. After awhile, I toss them out.......but we still have way to much junk.....so this post made me laugh outloud........you are not alone.......by no means. I bet half of your readers can relate, big time to this post.....

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sometimes I actually wish I would do more accumulating. I have a theory, if I haven't used it in 6 months to a year and it has no sentimental value to our family, it has to find a new home. We generally make 2-4 trips to Goodwill Industries per year, with a bag or a box or two of things we don't need anymore.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Alpha Dude said...

I hate throwing anything away. I never know when I might need it.

It still amazes me that with two closets full of clothes, my wife still "can't find anything to wear!"

8:35 PM  
Blogger .Tom Kapanka said...

Dr. John,
I am fascinated by your blog. It is truly unique. Next time you're t Patterns of Ink, would you be so kind as to tell us how your blog got started, etc. I think my readers would love to hear it. Any of your readers are welcome to join in the discussion at "Why Bloggers Blog: Part One"

10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home