Friday, March 09, 2007

Odds and Ends

Saying for the day-A clean and neat sock drawer helps to fight addiction.

Well another Friday has rolled around. It is time to clear my desk and fill my blog with Odds and Ends.
First of all last week was one of those really good weeks that I could use a lot more of. In the midst of it all was this beautiful , patient, loving lady. More and more I have come to realize how special she is. Among other things she has put up with all my short comings for all these years. That puts her in the category of Saint . You ask my kids they will tell you. So, since she reads this blog I wanted to start today as I should every day by Saying “ Betty I love you.”

Now lets see what’s on the desk. First off , for those of you who think pastors only work on Sunday Alastair shares a day in the life of a pastor.

For those of you wondering why you can’t make a diet work Quilldancer has some things to think about.

If you have ever wanted to go to London, and who hasn’t, Bazza has some great pictures of the old and new London.

Finally if you look up into the night sky and wonder what your seeing Quasar9 has great explanations. If you can’t understand them that’s okay he also has great pictures which are worth the visit.

@@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run, boys talk to rocks, and the Liar’s Club is running an internet contest.– Nancy says that some of the people coming in for coffee are not happy about the Liar’s Club Internet contest. They had heard that the internet is a bad place. It is full of crooks and dirty pictures and stuff like that. Pigeon Falls is just a nice , ordinary town, and it doesn’t need that kind of stuff. Why invite them in. Next thing you know they will be stealing our identities . Then what ? What are you people thinking?
Buddy East , the Grand High Faluting Lie Master, for the year has been spending a lot of time explaining that the internet is just like the rest of the world. There are good people and bad people who use it. He thinks they have enough rules to protect Pigeon Falls from the bad ones. He is looking forward to some great dragons stories.
Kathryn Kellog , the college student, says that the town is a gold mine for Finenglish research. The museum has old letters and newspapers that have just wonderful examples. She is also spending time at the nursing home talking to the old timers. Every day you can see her walking down main street with her recorder her big notebook, and her document camera.
The next big tournament game is tonight and the town is ready. This is March madness at its very worst. Everybody is sure they are going down state. This as one of the signs reads “ Is a New Potato Year and the crop is comin in.” Isn’t it surprising how the team name which everybody hated just a couple of months ago is now a thing of pride.
Will the team win? If they lose will the town as a whole become depressed. Is Tommy UK still talking to his rock. Will Tommy TW meet Kathryn? Where is the dragon? And of course Is Tommy UK really the undertaker’s son?
*****

Today's Link-Worldman- Asks the question " How do I get people to visit my blog." When you visit could you please leave a Dr. John in the comment.
If you like to write you must have one dragon story in you. Scroll down and get the information on the Liar's Club Contest.
Pretty good day. The oxygen levels were fine. I felt good. I did some blogging . I watched my soaps . I started planning the new train layout. I did some more blogging. My sister called. Now I'll take a breathing treatmnent.
GBYA

15 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Is there some concern that Tommy TW has a straying eye with Kathryn in town?

PS. Betty definitely is a saint.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link, Dr. John -- my diet insight is mostly just common sense4 that isn't so common for most of us. :P

6:19 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Ahh, Betty is a wonderful woman and she loves you.

and i'm so touched by both of you..

your declaration and reminder of love here is so incredibly beautiful.

oh Dr. John, how sweet of you.

6:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful way to start your blog off today. Your and Betty's marriage is such an inspiration.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Hehehehe! Well, I don't know about you but sometimes that missing matching sock can drive a person to drink. =O)

Not me, but I do like starting simple, one goal at a time, one day at a time and one prayer at a time when something about me needs a little improving.

Sorry I missed your post yesterday. It was so sweet. The elderly couple that I take care of at their home have been together almost 60 years. Together they make a wonderful team.

And you know what, I saw the Mister GOOSE the Missus the other afternoon when he thought I wasn't looking!

They're STILL in love. =O)

8:39 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Stopping by to wish you and Betty a wonderful weekend. What a wonderful way to start you post today with your words of love for Betty. If you figure out how to keep your Sock Drawer neat and tidy let me know, I am forever finding mis matched socks.

A blessed day and weekend wished for you and Betty

9:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi we might come over Saturday tommrow TCOB

(The Crazy Object B)

9:56 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

Thanks for the link, again, Dr John. It's been a heckuva week here in the sticks in Cambridgeshire.

Like the links, I already go to Quasar9 and Quilly regularly as always a good read, enjoyed seeing London again, I lived there for 12 years or so and was Lay Chaplain for Imperial College and the Royal Collge of Music, Curate on the outskirts (Hampton, near Hampton Court Palace of Henry VIII and Cardinal Wolsey fame) and then Chaplain to Imperial College Medical School and minister to South Kensington. Nice to see some pictures around the town! There was also a good picture of St Paul's Cathedral where I was ordained.

Anyway, thanks for all of these bits, your blog is an oasis of thoughtfulness and calm in a crazy world... ;-)

3:45 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

You and Betty are both most fortunate....people live a whole lifetime and never find what you two have. God bless you both.

3:54 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That was nice of you to greet Betty. I think Betty will have a grand day today.

5:38 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Aw, Dr. John, that is so lovely. I'll bet you made Betty very happy when she read that.

Can I borrow that saying for the day "A clean and neat sock drawer helps to fight addition". Love it.

My sock drawer is neat and clean, except for the lonely, single socks languishing in there because the washer has eaten their mates.

Josie

6:33 PM  
Blogger Voegtli said...

Hello. I thank you very much for your link and comment about my "Blog Analyis" post. It is recomforting. I was pleased to get encouraging comments about it. Everybody refers to Dr. John in their comments. So, I came to visit you. I am from Switzerland but I have seen my country barely in the last 40 years. Because I am running around in the world. Right now, I am living in Africa, working under difficult conditions.I spend a lot of time blogging. I am overwhelmed by what I find on your blog. I will be back frequently. Have a nice day.
Peter

7:48 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I think a "blog pastor" can do quite a bit of good in this world.....you have brought a lot of people together in your blogging efforts.

A cheer for Betty........ :)

9:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, You and Betty have something special, so special, most people don't understand. It is nice of you to let people see into your world that way. I bet Betty let you win at Canasta tonight, huh? If you played, that is.

I love the link ups...great stuff, wish more people would do that. In fact, I may be taking a page out of your book and do a link each posting instead of each weekend. You have a wealth of great ideas.

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you are wise enough to know how special Betty is, you are not the only lucky one:)

4:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home