Friday, February 09, 2007

Why ?

Saying for the Day:" After this Pine Valley will never be the same.

Because I went blogging last night I had trouble sleeping. I read a lot of good blogs. They weren’t the problem. I read funny blogs and cute blogs. I read blogs about every day problems. I read a blog about a romance of 5000 years ago complete with a picture. That was good. I read about a miracle that happened to a person who doesn’t believe in miracles and I smiled. But then I read the blog of a lady that I always considered to be a nice person, a bit opinionated , but nice. She decided to insult my faith. She doesn’t believe in the Virgin Birth. That in itself is okay. She is entitled to not believe. I respect that right. There are Christian theologians who don’t believe the story to be litteraly true. If she had said I just can’t believe this Virgin Birth story that would be okay. But she had to do what millions have done before her. She had to retell the story to her liking. She had to take and change Mary from the heroic figure who agrees to be the mother of Jesus knowing that people like my friend will demean her for it. A heroic figure who will stand at the foot of a cross and watch her son die. She has to take that poor w0oman and turn her into a bad little girl who had sex with some guy down the street, or her uncle, or a Roman soldier or whatever. Then this sni9veling pathetic little girl instead of owning up to her sin lies to Joseph and tells him of the visit of an Angel. She is so pathetic old Joe believes her and has a dream. My friend says that since Mary had to have sex with God that some guy out there was God. My friend ends her blog entry by saying that she supposes that some Christian will have to set her straight. As I expected the three comments she had to that point were not from Christians but from “ good for you lady” atheists. One of them even saying that all Christians were dumb and just needed to be educated.( I’ll match my grades at the secular university against his any time). I did not feel a need to straighten her out. I just felt demaned and hurt. Why do those who don’t believe have a need to attack us? I read a lot of blogs and there are a lot of proud atheists out there who don’t spend their time making fun of Christians. But there are some who must attack. They ridicule us and what we believe. I thought I had come to the point where I could just ignore the attacks . I think this one got to me because eI like the lady. She is feisty and a fighter. She seems to have a real concern for people. I don’t think she would tell a racial joke or go out of her way to hurt anybody. So why does she feel a need to smash our stories and dare us to starighten her out? I will continue to read her blog because I know this one blog is not the whole person. But as they say on the soaps “ After this Pine Valley will never be the same again.”

@@@@News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and the coffee at Nancy’s is alwys hot– It’s supposed to get up to 15 degrees today in Pigeon Falls. That’s almost a heat wave for this time of year. In the last few days Nancy has sold a lot of coffee and people wanted their saffron buns warm. Mrs. Marvel stopped in after her return from Disney World and gaveNancy a beautiful English Tea Pot with a dragon on each side. Nancy just loves it as do her tea drinking customers. Sahe loves it so much that she has choosen not to spread the latetest rumor about the marvels. It seems Mrs. Roomstead was in to the shop yesterday and told Nancy that she had a cousin in Florida. This cousin who lives in Orlando has a friend who lives in Kickme and belongs to Laughing Lutheran Church. Laughing Lutheran is without a head pastor but last Sunday a Pastor Marvel preached a trial sermon there. It seems he was from Pigeon Falls and since the cousin had comne from Pigeon Falls the friend askeed her if she knew anything about Pastor Marvel. She in turn called Mrs. Roomstead to see what information she could get. So Nancy knows the Marvel’s may be leaving but she doesn’t want to believe it.
The Marvels have been in Pigeon Falls for so long that people have trouble remembering who was here before them. They are a part of the community. There are all kinds of Marvel stories that people tell. He is liked by many and loved by some. A few will be glad when he is gone. It won’t be long before the entire community knows that he is considering leaving. Indeed they will hear as the story spreads that he is going to leave not that he might. Small town have there own communication sysytem which is fast but not always accurate.
The New Potatoes play tonight. They have now won four in a row. People in town are in shock. The gymn will be full. Where were all those people when the team was losing. Some , of course, were over at the bar fighting over the team name. Some had just given up on basketball. Now there is talk of going all the way downstate. Everybody loves a winner.

Today's Link-What the Blog Do We Know?- Cell Phone lovers this is for you- Leave a Dr. John in the comment-pretend its a text message.
This was another dull day in which I didn't do much other than watch televison and blog. It is still too cold to go out. Tomorrow Peter and family copmes to visit. Betty started another puzzle. We played canasta and Betty won, again. I will sleep well tonight. The person who had me so upset in my blog today sent me an E-mail and said she was sorry that she upset me. She explained the nature of that entry and that she had removed the blog entry in question. As I said I thought she was a kind and caring person and I was right. I hate to think of the number of times in my life I have upset people I cared about without meaning to. I guess if I hadn't seen so many attacks on the faith on the internet I would have ignored it. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, never thought that that is what pastors do when they are on vacation.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Sorry to hear you had a bad night, hopefully tonight you will be able to sleep better.

Blessings for a better day for you and Betty.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I think it is ironic that the non believers think we are dumb but the believers feel sorry for the non believers rather than thinking they are dumb. I am glad to be in the believer group because we are a much nicer bunch!

7:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I guess that's why they say never discuss politics or religion.Personally,I have tried to accept the differences people have. I don't understand why some have to insist they are right. Some say the Bible is literal, others say it has changed through eons of translation.

I always liked ancient history and sometimes felt like I was there. I cannot imagine how any mother could handle the pain that Mary had to endure.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That someone would accuse Mary of being a tramp saddens me too. I have a friend who always says "A thinking person couldn't possibly believe that!" when we talk about the miracles in the Bible. But she will be the first to use a Bible reference to prove a point. As if this book is a take out menu. I am a thinking person, and I know God can do anything. I also know that Mary's faith was tested and found sound.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People say dumb things on their blogs. Not me of course, but other people..
Maybe something happened in her life that made her upset and she just lashed out..

9:35 AM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

I understand how you feel - it was just disrespectful. I don't go around trashing atheists or other religions. I would expect the same common courtesy. No one can prove what happened, one way or another. I choose to believe one way, not another. It's called faith and that is what she is attacking. Here's hoping she reads your blog and maybe reconsiders her poor manners.

Don't let it get you down - remember "7 x 70."

10:11 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

Thanks for the mention in previous post Dr John!
The world at times can be such a sad place, its good to know i'm making someone laugh!!
Hope you sleep better tonight!

10:29 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I dont care what the non -believers say about us. I know in my heart what is right and wrong and I dont bash anyone for their beliefs but dont try to foist your non beliefs on me.

To say that about the Virgin Mary makes me sick. Its rubbish and I would not be able to leave a comment on her blog.

I would like to know what athiest do when one of their children get sick...or they lose a loved one. If they dont know the comfort of the Lord then it is their loss.

It just seems to me that they have to demean we Christians...maybe b/c they are not so sure they have chosen the right path? Just remember what they say Dr John...and empty bag makes the most noise.

We are strong in our beliefs, they cant shake us.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

It is difficult and unfortunate - but most of all a blessing that we shall indeed be prosecuted for His name's sake.

The denomination of faith that I practice doesn't offer prayers to Mother Mary. But by no means do we disrespect or dishonor her. The Bible says the Messiah will be born of a Virgin - way back in Isaiah and this was confirmed in the Gospels.

It is an honor to stand on the Word of God and the Bible. So don't feel so down nor loose sleep nor gnash your false teethies, Dr. John...

... praise Him!

12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Funny" isn't it, that in this era of tolerance, live and let live, that the one thing, the one religion not given that same measure of respect is Christianity. Could it be because the truth is a frightening prospect when you've rejected it?

2:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, as you know, the best way to defend an attack against our faith is to respond with love despite our pain. Well done, good and faithful servant.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

In reading your post today my anger got the better of me and my heart felt the sadness to have Virgin Mary once more be attacked and question. I love that one particular line that speaks about only one without any sin should throw the first stone..not one of us follows it but i wish we did and tried harder.
i'm a Catholic. i believe in The Holy Spirit, God and Jesus being the Trinity. i also believe in the Virgin Mother and pray to her and it was because of the miracle of my being able to bear all my kids that my girls are all middle named after her. I also thank her, for the Lady of Guadalupe was the One who saved me on January 8 when i almost died, yet again. Many miracles in my life, palpatable ones but not all believe me or agree and that is okay. I also believe in Saints and was taught we could pray to them as well for that is why they are there. I believe in the Pope as the chosen leader by God to lead me. My beliefs are mine and no one will take them away and i proudly share them as i share all my joys and curves in life. People don't have to agree, but i ask for respect. Respect in many ways is what we lack for each other. Respect for our own beliefs and our own thoughts, for our own values and morals. Too often we step into others life space and just think we can take over. I believe in the Bible and not in other religious holy books, but i hope i never dare to insult such books. Each their own. At the end the important part is that we try to be better and care and love one another regardless of where we pray or what beeds we use or whom we pray to.
I'm happy that she deleted the post, not because of anything for it insults Her and Her Son and She has been hurt enough.
*********************
It is good and nice of Nancy not to spread any rumors of the Pastor and wife. I'm so glad that the town is not in a deep freeze, so happy everyone is being a bit spoiled.
****************************
I hope you have a good night and that you and Betty are feeling well. Thank you for speaking up and defending our religions and the right of Our Lord's Mother. We cannot keep quiet in face of wrongs. Not two people have to agree on anything except to be good to each other.

Many hugs. Much love to the family. Keep warm.

11:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As my grandmother used to say..."If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anthing".

Not something I am great at, I admit, but I have got better over the years.

We all have to accept each other's differences, except when they are harmful to others.

3:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home