Thursday, February 01, 2007

On translating

I am interested in languages. So I am really glad that a service like “ Babel Fish “ exists.
You can take something in one language and translate it into another.

Saying for the days: Some things don't translate well.

I took this set of three sayings and had them translated into French.

Don't put a question mark where God put a period.
Don't wait for 6 strong men to take you to church.
Forbidden fruits create many jams.

Then I had the French translated back to English.
This is what I got.

Do not put a question mark where God spent one period.
Do not await 6 strong men to carry you to the church.
The prohibited fruits create many stuffings.

Next I had the original three translated into German and translated them back to English.
This is the result.

Places no query point, where God used one period.
Do not expect 6 strong men, in order to carry at the church.
The forbidden fruits create much full plug.

As you can see there was a little lost in the translation but the gist was there,


@@@@ News From Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, love is in the air and Eino is confused.– The New Potatoes won again last night. That’s two games in a row. They didn’t do that well before they became the New Potatoes. You can feel the pride growing in the town. People are so excited. They are working on a symbol ( a mascot if you will). The cheerleaders are really leading cheers. They have even created some new ones. The new cheers stress the “New” in “New Potatoes”. Two more boys have come out for the team. All they need now is for Petrovich to announce there is driblet that predicts the coming of a mighty unstoppable team.
Nancy is walking around in another world. She is so happy. Tommy, the writer, stops into the Coffee Shop at least twice a day. Sometimes they share a saffron bun. This, of course, has not stopped her from being the gossip center. She still listens to her customers and shares what she has heard. Sometimes she even embellishes a little. She was the one that let everybody know the McPhersons were thinking of getting divorced. He was sleeping in one bedroom and her in another. Nancy says she can’t understand how people can fall out of love.
Pastor Marvel called his secretary this morning to see how things were going. She told him, fine. Don’t call any more. Have a good time. He just can’t let go.
Tommy, the undertaker’s kid, and Eino are meeting tonight to try to decide how to check out their theories. Eino has been making a lot of calls but getting very little information. Tommy says if he is right and the government is too blame. They have to find the rift where the dragon and the White Rabbit came through and close it before some kind of horrible creature flies or waddles in. Of course it may have closed on its own.
Mrs. Trumble is having nothing to do with dimensional holes. As far as she is concerned they are demons and that is that. She seems to still be convinced the White Rabbit has fangs. The recent cow killings which were blamed on the new pack of wolves , as far as she is concerned were done by the White Rabbit. She still keeps her trusty Dragon Slayer in the truck.
****

Link for Today:Step into the Nexus- A little politics. A little sports. A little nyquil. Please put Dr. John in the comment.
Was a sick day. I felt rotten all day. My cough is bad. I didn't sleep well . I did a little blogging. I watched some television. I napped a lot. When Peter and family came to celebrate his birthday I felt too sick to go. Betty went and had a good time. I did play some mangula with Bree. She won almost every game.Now I am going to have a breathing treatment. Then some cough medicene.
GBYA

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Babel fish can be quite fun.

A carnivorous rabbit? Say it isnt so! Poor cows. When I was a kid, someone shot one of our cows in the barnyard late at night. She was pregnant at the time. Who would be so mean?

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If this New Potatoes thing keeps going they'll have to rename the peewee football team.....the Potato Chips. ;)

8:27 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Nothing like a lil update on Pigeon Falls to brighten my day.. I don't think I comment on that place enough..

I should start..

Have a great day..

10:27 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Alas, many have argued
what the language of heaven may be
Some shouted "English" it must be
others claim "hebrew" wait & see
But of course these are tongues of men, and men speak much
but each word has to be heard
for it to mean much to the herd

So Chinamen know what China knows
and Finns know of Valhalla's halls
and I see somewhere in Pigeon Falls
there are many songs & loud calls
for all to listen to where the bell tolls

11:31 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

That looks like fun. I am going to have to go play with that Babel fish. Hee hee

12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pass the cheese...........I HATE THE COLD WINTER, I HATE WINTER, I HATE WINTER, I HATE WINTER, I HATE THE COLD WINTER, I HATE THE COLD WINTER!!
Tomorrow is ground hog's day, I say we gangup and cook the groundhog for dinner!

Sorry, just in a bah hummbug on winter mood.

And stupid blogger want let me sign in and comment so had to do it this way. Ugh, not my day....gonna crawl back in bed with more cold medicine.

4:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John, I am sorry to hear you are ill. I hope you are feeling better soon.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I use my Babel fish and post a post in Italian over at our local Newspaper blog site. Some can read it and it is funny - but a good part of them over there can't and are really antsy over it. =O)

6:09 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

LOL! Talk about lost in translation. I use Babel Fish sometimes too but it doesn't always work out to what it should be.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Dr. John, I've never heard of Babel Fish. Thanks for sharing. I'm going to check it out.

I hope you will share the "New Potatoes" mascot with us when they have it :-)

Josie

7:55 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

Don't put a question mark where God put a period.
Don't wait for 6 strong men to take you to church.
Forbidden fruits create many jams.


Absolutely WONDERFUL advice. I'm telling you, I'm beginning to think you're psychic. You always have something posted that I REALLY need to hear!

9:17 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

How much your lungs must hurt. I'm so sorry you are ill. I know you must feel horrible for you couldn't go out and celebrate with the family. I do hope tonight you rest easier so that your body can fight back these silly bugs that surround us. I'm glad that it seems that Betty is not ill. I hope she stays like that. Kisses and hugs get well to you sir.

Happy Birthday to Peter. May he have many, many, many more and may he always have Our Lord's peace and guidance.

XOXO

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, John ... sorry to hear that you aren't feeling well. Hope that your cough passes quickly.
I know what you mean about the translations. Nothing ever comes out quite the way I mean it to.

12:00 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

I love words, and translating, so tried very hard to think of something clever and erudite - and preferably funny - to say in a comment on this, but failed.

Sorry to hear about the cough, my wife is likewise incapacitated and having to visit the doctor for various medicines...

3:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're feeling better today! Things are sure moving along in Pidgeon Falls, I'm glad Nancy is having some happiness.

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home