Friday, February 02, 2007

Why such a rush?

Saying for the Day-New is not always better!

This is the second day of Vista.
Yesterday, already, people rushed out to buy new computers with the system on it.
Others went and bought the system to load on their computer.
My question is why.
Why do people have to be first?
When the new game systems come out people spend way over the price to be one of the first to have them.
I understand one of the new Play Station3’s went for $20,000 on E-Bay.
Why?
When it comes to new electronic things I like to wait to purchase.
There are two reasons for that.
The first is that new systems often have flaws.
You have to let them fly for a bit to get the flaws out.
The customers will scream as they find what’s wrong.
The manufacturers will fix the problems.
In a year or so you will have a fairly decent system.
The second is price.
If you wait you can almost always get it for less.
At the very least you wont have to pay $20,000 on E-Bay.
If you wait long enough it will be old and you get a real price break.
I can get a Play Station 2 for $99.
Some day I will get Vista or a computer with Vista on it.
But I am in no hurry.
I can still coax some life out of the computer I have.
When I change it won’t be just because its new but because it has features I want.
While I am waiting I will visit my son who bought a computer with Vista on it yesterday.

@@@@ News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, strange things happen, and basketball is King.– Tonight the New Potatoes play Republic. In the history of the school they have never beaten Republic. But now they think they can. Banners are showing up in town. “Go Team” “ Mash Um” “ New over the Old”. The attendance at the last game was up and tonight its expected to be a full gym. After all the things that have happened the town needs a good thing for a change.
Eino and Tommy are still arguing theories. Tommy, the undertaker’s kid, says that if the government was just pretending it wouldn’t have pretended to move the town. It would have concentrated on stories about things like the hermit statue. The entire town had to be the experiment gone wrong, badly wrong. It took five days to fix it. The building was an accident , too. But they are better now at correcting mistakes. They were probably trying to teleport somebody into the town when it was accidentally moved . The same thing with the Masonic Building. Eino still thinks the whole thing is a propaganda ploy by the government.
The Liar’s Club is getting ready for its first internet story telling contest. They have decided that the stories must be about dragons or Big White Rabbits. They can be about where they came from. The powers they have. Or anything about a dragon or big White Rabbit that makes a good story. By next week they should have all the details down.
*****

Link for Today-Studio McCann- Another Artist to open our vistas . Please leave Dr. John in the comment and open my vista.
Just a note the operating system Vista has a capitol V. Well I got so much spam and of such low quality I was forced to put the spam blocker back on. I figured one or two pieces a day was a small price to pay for easy commenting on my blog. But the spam today went over five pieces. I feel a bit better today but i did take a nap in the afternoon. In the evening we went to an art show and I will blog about that at another time. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liar's club stories are good. Yay!

6:10 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Keeping up with the Jones. =O(

We've had Vista already because Jon is affliated with the MS Student Software Program. They released it to people here first to discover any quirks, flaws, etc.

Jon seems to like it a lot. It uses more memory - focused on looks, pretty'ness and video features. All depends on what you do I suppose.

6:16 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Like you, I'll wait. I'm cheap and I would rather save money than be the "first kid on the block" with the newest...I have a son in law who is a techogeek. He thinks he knows everything about everything and must have everything as soon as it comes out. Even if they can't afford it.

I wonder how many patches Vista will have in the next 6 months.

7:18 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I still like my Win 2000 Professional. It does what I want my computer to do. I have another computer with Win XP Pro. I not even interested in Vista.

Like you I can wait for something. I don't have to be the first out the door to buy it.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vista? I am so techno-challenged.

I thought of another name for the peewee teams....Tater Tots.

8:13 AM  
Blogger DarthImmortal said...

I have been running Vista for over two months now. The reason I had to be first is because I am an IT professional in charge of a large institution. I had to get it to make sure everything works with our current network and servers. There were some minor issues but overall I am very happy with it. I am also using the new version of Office (2007).

A couple of observations regarding Vista are that many people will have troubles with the new features, especially with Word 2007. Also, many applications will have to be purchased again (if no upgrades are available for free) because they will not be able to run without kernel access, which has been eliminated much to the chagrin of many developers. You will also need more RAM and a faster CPU to run Vista, so check the compatibility list before upgrading to make sure your old PC can handle it.

11:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallo! ;)
heh... what disturbed comments!
what do you suppose about it?

11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What's Vista?

12:16 PM  
Blogger Alastair said...

I bought a new computer and apparently a vista upgrade comes with it, so the dvd will be arriving in the post soon. This is not a 'got to have it' thing, but i will let you know if it works out...

3:17 PM  
Blogger Shawn McCann said...

Hello Dr. John. I wanted to thank you for including my site as your blog of the day. It was a pleasant surprise to have some of your readers come over and leave feedback. Great article as well about the Vista issue and "having to have it right away". Fortunately I slept well the other night knowing that my Mac was everything I needed and the Vista upgrade was nowhere in my thoughts. I just hope that for those who stood in line, it was worth it.

6:15 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

All of this is just to make Bill Gates more wealthy than he is already.

I tried to buy a Nintendo Wii for the munchkins at Christmastime. I couldn't get one because everyone was buying them to resell on EBay. Bah Humbug. Now I hear that it has flaws, so maybe I'm the lucky one.

I'll wait until Vista has all the bugs out.

Cheers,
Josie

8:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John -- don't take this wrong, but did you ever think of joining the Liar's Club?

8:48 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i'm so glad that you are feeling better. hope that you keep on getting well right away.

many hugs to you all. sweet dreams.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home