Monday, February 05, 2007

Nitty Gritty Version

Saying for the day– Sometimes Cinderella is left in the ashes.
Yesterday you read the fairytale version of Friday night now here is the modern tell it like it was version.
ON Friday I received an E-Mail invitation from "The Art Lady" , a person whose blog I had read but that I had never met. It was to an art exhibit at the Richeson School of Art & Gallery . I’m not much into art but here was a chance to meet a blogger other than my family. It might also offer me a chance to see some art by one of my favorite artists, Janvangogh. So I told Betty “Let’s go kid”. She pointed out that such exhibits are usually formal affairs and we had nothing to wear. She was right of course. My nearest suit coat was in Crystal Falls. My only formal wear was my clerics and I refuse to go as a priest. It was cold. So I put on an old woolen shirt which Betty said made me look like a Yooper Lumberjack. She put on her best suit. It is bright red and she looked like she was going fox hunting in England if they still do that sort of thing. Pennie wore what she had worn to work. Off we went. There was one additional problem. Pennie was on call and we could get beeped out at any moment. As in any adventure in which Pennie drives we got lost. We took the wrong turn on Kennedy and went for some distance before we knew it was wrong. Then we drove past the place. But finally Betty wrestled my walker out of the van and we went in. I hugged my coat closer and refused to remove it so nobody could see my lumberjack shirt.I saw a lady with a name tag explaining some fine detail on a painting. I figured that was “The Art Lady” and it was. I gave her the code word Janet and she said the proper response “ I love your blog”. She then showed me Janvangogh’s painting hanging all by itself in the bathroom. Not where I expected a painting of that quality to be hung. There were two more of Jan’s paintings in the exhibit. But Pennie was getting antsy afraid she would be beeped out. So we did a quick tour of the exhibit. Took a little time to talk to the artist who got the top prize and left. I wanted to go to a fancy steakhouse but Pennie said if we got beeped out there we could lose all that good food and still have to pay for it. So we went to Culver’s. Betty and I had hamburgers and Pennie had an ice cream concoction. Then we rushed home. Twenty minutes later Pennie was called to the hospital. It had been a great evening as such evenings go.
So which version did you prefer?
Remember today is " Leave A Comment Monday" so do your duty.
@@@ News from Pigeon Falls-the little town in my garage where the trains still run, dragons fly, and there are too many Tommys- Virginia Welton is on a crusade. After the snowmobile incidents with the wild man and the turkey she is running a “ Stay on the Trail “ campaign. She was going to call it “Stay on the Trail-Stupid” but her husband talked her out of it. She has posted flyers all over town. They have pictures of wrecked snowmobiles, turkey covered snowmobiles, and a snowmobile in a tree at the foot of a cliff. She is determined to save the snowmobilers from themselves . It’s a rough task. Half of the snowmobilers start off at the Fly Inn and are flying by the time they hit the trails. So one of her sayings is “ Ride now, drink later”.
Nancy is doing her part. She is sharing the worst snowmobile stories with any snowmobiler that comes in for coffee. That includes the one where the guy went under a barb wire fence and got his throat slit. One would think that after a couple of those stories one would give up snowmobileing and take up knitting.
Tommy, the writer , says he might work some of that material into his book “ Murder in a Small Town”. He might even throw in a high speed snowmobile chase. That would make a great movie.
Eino told Tommy, the undertaker’s kid, that he was going to have a friend with a plane take some aerial shots of the area. They can then look and see if there is anything that could be a secret government instillation. Now the question is “What does a secret government instillation look like? Wouldn’t that be a secret?
*****

Today's Link- Monkee- If you love cats here is ablog for you. If you hate cats it might be good for you too. In either case leave the words Dr. John in the comments.
I had a good sleep last night and the coughing is down some. I can't get Betty's computer up but am working at it. My new speach recognition software came from IBM and fifty per cent of the time it doesn't. I spent most of the afternoon playing with that. I then played canasta with betty and Pennie and I won. Finnaly I visted almost all of the links and left comments.
Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

22 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's northeast Wisconsin. Woolen shirts are formal wear!

Now that you know where it is, you should go back when you have time to look at it all.

6:19 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

I liked both stories. You have a good imagination. And unscripted trips are fun and exhilerating.

6:26 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

I'm not sure what a Yooper lumberjack it. I don't think we have those down in Houston.

6:44 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Both stories were good. It is the Spur of the Moment trips that can be the most fun.

7:40 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Never having met any of my blogger friends, I am delighted to read your account as proof positive that we are actually real people in corporal form - if not in blogdom at least in some other reality! Hope you have a chance to go back and spend time at the exhibit!

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked today's story (a lot closer to how it would have gone for me)...though yesterday's version with the gold and jewel encrusted walker got me thinking about a new "reality" show for one of the networks. They already "Pimp My Ride" and "Pimp My Truck." Why not Pimp My Walker? How about one with big stacks and running lights?

9:06 AM  
Blogger Alastair said...

I like the real world version - something about the fairytale didn't strike a chord - though I love your writing!!!

I like the idea of 'pimp my walker' too - my wife is an occupational therapist and I am sure she would love to do that!

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for the link.

I agree with most of the other commenters that I liked today's story a little better. It's funny though, I never really think about meeting the other bloggers. I wonder why it never seems to come up.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

Well, I must say, you have nothing to be ashamed of! It's doggone cold outside! You dress how you need to, to be warm. I'm glad you at least got to get out and check out the art, even if it was in the most unexpected of places ;0)

To answer your question, yes, I loved it :0)

4:23 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I guess I've missed something here. What is this Monday Comment thing? Is this in lieu of your Marathon? I don't think i've joined this yet but would be interested to. Let me know.

5:06 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Hey! I believed yesterday's story. Right down to your gold plated walker. I figured, new town - new city in the move - you went "hip" and got the bling going on. Maybe you finally hit the free lotto you've been playing all these years.

And today you confess?!! Oh me, oh my, good gracious!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in Nevada secret governement installations -- especially the one they claim doesn't really exist -- are surrounded by razor wire and have signs all around iwarning that trespassers will be shot on sight, if they don't die of radiation poisioning first.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

as beautiful as fantasy can be, i like real life better. for better and worse it is what we have and it either makes us happy or give us a lesson to learn...

i did enjoy the real version of your art night. i think it shows commitment and family members working together and enjoyment and imagination and pleasure..
*********
you know, Tommy has been quite the kid..in his young life he has accomplish much more than most grown ups..he is quite the kid..he will have much stories for his grandkids some day..
*************
i'm so delighted that you had a better night and that the coughing is a bit better. i sent you an email card and i'm not sure it got through but it was just a bit of mushy stuff...

glad you and Betty won the game. it is good to win once in a while..

sweet dreams to you. breath peacefully and much love to you and the family. hugs. keep on getting better.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I like both versions b/c I love the way you tell a story! You always make me smile and if I ever get to Michigan I want to hang out with you and Betty! Hugs! Glad your cough is better.

7:56 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I would love to go to the next art show....I am not inviting my self though...but I could provide a driver who is not on call!!!! We also love steak!!!

8:18 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

LOL I liked the first one because it sounded pimpin! hehehehehehe

Glad you got the chance to meet a fellow blogger. I would love to meet all my blogger friends!

8:48 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

chuckle, the wonderful part about blogging, no one has to give the REAL version. If they prefer fantasy land.

GOING anywhere in cold weather takes a lot of tenacity to me. I don't want to get any further than the inside of the front door. my husband, he stays awake at night to try and think of places that we can go each day. He even likes to shop........haha

1:18 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

chuckle, the wonderful part about blogging, no one has to give the REAL version. If they prefer fantasy land.

GOING anywhere in cold weather takes a lot of tenacity to me. I don't want to get any further than the inside of the front door. my husband, he stays awake at night to try and think of places that we can go each day. He even likes to shop........haha

1:21 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

chuckle, the wonderful part about blogging, no one has to give the REAL version. If they prefer fantasy land.

GOING anywhere in cold weather takes a lot of tenacity. I don't want to get any further than the inside of the front door. my husband, he stays awake at night to try and think of places that we can go each day. He even likes to shop........haha

1:22 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

chuckle, the wonderful part about blogging, no one has to give the REAL version. If they prefer fantasy land.

GOING anywhere in cold weather takes a lot of tenacity. I don't want to get any further than the inside of the front door. my husband, he stays awake at night to try and think of places that we can go each day. He even likes to shop........haha

1:23 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

both storries are good but this one sounds more like real life!
sounds like you had a good time inboth though

3:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked both stories dr. john but I like your sense of humour and this this one made me laugh. Sounds like you had a great time.

I think Ceasar would have been proud. veni, vidi, vici

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home