Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tale from the Parsoange

Saying for the day: Every Christmas tree is beautiful.

This is a picture of a Christmas tree in our first parsonage..
At the time we thought it was wonderful.
I went out to the woods and cut it myself.
It was Peter’s first Christmas.
You can see the big stuffed dog he loved at the front of the picture.
I have a movie of this tree which is truly unique .
We shot the tree, we shot pictures of a very pregnant Betty, and then by mistake we put the film back in the camera and shot pictures of baby Patrick crawling on a neutral rug.
The end movie shows Patrick crawling up the stomach of his mother who is pregnant with Patrick and then it shows Patrick crawling up this tree.
We couldn’t have made such a movie if we had tried but by accident there it was.
When we find the box I packed the movies in we will have it made into a DVD and share it with you.
This was a special time and the picture brings back such memories.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run and will keep running if Mrs. Trumble has anything to say about it– Some of the gloom is lifting. People have decided to believe in the future and have put out there outside Christmas decorations. The town has a decoration on every light pole which gives one a good feeling. Last Lutheran has its traditional manager scene which is lit at night. The youth group is planning a live nativity event the week before Christmas. All the members will play parts. They are even bringing in a couple sheep and a cow.( only in a small town). Last year somebody stole the baby Jesus but it turned up in the Catholic Church. The priest suggested that it just wanted to go home.
All around Pigeon Falls houses are decorated. Even the Schmidts who are going to Hawaii put their decorations out. You can almost see hope for the future growing.
Mayor Trumble is doing all that she can to save the railroad. She has lined up the second investor, she is working with the state, and she has some other ideas as to how to help. The question is will it all come together by December 15. Will the town be saved or will all the hope and decorating be for nothing?
Only time will tell.
*****
Today's Link-GoGo on a page- Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get those very presentable JCPOINTS.
We found the drawing slips and did yewsterday's drawing.

And the winner is

not a relative ( thank goodness)

A little drum roll please.

The winner is ....


The Old Fart

Congratulations Old Fart. Please go to the Pic a Prize page and pick a prize. Leave the number in the comments. The Old Fart had 140 chances to be drawn. The top person had over 2000 so he is lucky indeed. ( Unless of course you consider the prizes).

Tomorrow . the first Wednesday of the month, there will be a very short mini marathon all centered in Christmas.
Well today I lost two hours being lost. Betty decided to take a short cut to Pennie's old house. She got us very lost. When we finally got there they took junk to the dump while I stayed at the house, no television and no internet. Coming home Betty unloaded Pennie's junk. I ordered Christmas gifts on the phone and on the internet. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

21 Comments:

Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Looking forward to the CD! How funny that must have been to discover the superimposed movies. I love the tree - my favorite kind - absolutely dripping with tinsel!

That Mrs. Trumble has really stepped up to the plate, huh? Good for her! Tommy was one heck of a shrewd mayor ;-)

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday, but I also thought Lori's comment was the best! Yay Lori!

6:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really liked todays link..

6:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the tree. I'll be lost this year since at this point we have no room to put up a tree. I just keep telling myself "the tree is not the reason"

Mrs. Trumbel is something else, isn't she?

7:32 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

The countdown in Pigeon Falls is totally keeping me on the edge of my seat!

By the way.. I loved the tree.. especially knowing that you cut it yourself.. now thats love!!!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

The movie sounds like something out of a horror flick.....but I can't wait to see it!

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love a Christmas tree dripping with tinsel too. But I do not like to clean up afterwards. Decorating the tree is my husband's job.

8:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the tree is pretty. I'd still have old fashioned tinsel like that if my dogs wouldn't eat it. Looking forward to your rather interesting home movies.

8:15 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I don't think I couldn't have come up with that image LOL! Very weird dr.john :)

Oh LOVE the tinsel.

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I cant wait to see that movie! It must be hilarious!

10:10 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

What a wonderful story, It brought back memories of the family packing in the car and heading to the James River Spring or Joe Stephens in the Brierly Brook to fetch home the tree.

It sounds like Mayor Trumble is bringing order back to Pigeon Falls must be a Christmas Miracle.

I am honored my name was picked today, I would like Prize 3 the Collectable Wooden Car. Thankyou for picking my name.

Blessings to both you and Betty

10:39 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

That's a great tree! I grew up with one of those silver aluminum trees, the light was a big spotlight that had a rotating plastic colored disc with pie sections in red, green, blue, and yellow. I loved that tree, my parents grew to hate that tree. Right now our tree is a little 3ft table topper tree that can hold only so many tiny ornaments. So I hang lots of our ornaments on the walls!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
I think Mrs. Trumble has found her calling!

10:57 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Going out to chop down your own tree is the best. We don't have many of those options down here in Georgia - but the artificial is doing wonders. =O)

I've never superimposed video film before but I have with 35mm. My Wedding photos actually came out very interesting.

11:35 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

I love it when you share with us your history, your memories, your pictures. I think the tree is lovely. I remember how my kids when they were little loved the red bows i put on it. they would point and called them butterflies, :).

those memories of our kids young, the trees, are just precious. and i'm so happy to think that we be able to see that video. can't wait.
***********
I'm glad the town is feeling better. That everyone is into the spirit of the season and that the town is all decorated. i love the imaginery that your words described. it sounds beautiful.
May everyone keep up with hope.
****************
Dr. John i actually got the pics from Joe yesterday. would you pls give me your email address so i can send them to you. or is it the same one still? pls let me know. i want you to see those 5 faces with the layout and tree.

btw, thank you again, the snow glove is just so cute and we love it. hugs all around. take care.

11:42 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

we have some old movies like that too..they bring such great memories. I hope you find yours so we can see it.Christmas was a magical time, unlike today with all the computer games and electronics...girls got babydolls, boys got cars and trucks.I remember one year when we were little my brothers and I got cowboy boots. A couple days later we went into the bathroom and was filling our boots up with water out of the toilet....guess we wanted to see if they were waterproof! lol

12:27 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Every Xmas tree is beautiful

ok so we don't even have one tenth of the world homes with xmas trees

and less than half the homes in the US have one - but they bring magic and xmas xheer into the homes, and before any environmentalists spoil the fun, xmas trees are farmed ...

and recycled in the new year!

A happy seasonal greeting to you and all your family Dr John - and you really really do hail from the magic land of Xmas trees. lol!

1:56 PM  
Blogger GoGo said...

As wee children, my brother sister and I would soak the tree with tincle. It was so much fun, even if the chore afterwords was to clean the entire house of its free roaming reminents.

Thanks for making me a link.

Intrigued.

4:28 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

That's a beautiful tree. It reminds me of the trees we had when I was growing up. My dad always went out and chopped the tree down himself, and we had lots of tinsel and decorations that had been passed down in the family. The photograph could be right out of our living room.

I'm waiting with bated breath to see what happens in Pigeon Falls.

5:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear that going into the Neenah/Menasha area is like going into the Bermuda triangle. North becomes south, east becomes west and vice versa.

6:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

A lovely tree, Dr. John! I can't wait to see your "crawling Peter" movies. It sounds very surreal -- and you know how I love surreal!

9:09 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Your tree looks like the kind we always get. Very old fashioned. They hold all of our one-of-a-kind ornaments the best. You are right, every Christmas tree is beautiful. Can't wait to see your movies. We had all of our old home movies made into DVD's. They came out great and the grandkids love seeing the adults in their lives as children.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Turtle Guy said...

I support the Scouts by buying a tree every year... only... I've been thinking twice about buying what used to be a living thing. This year I'm contemplating a tree-in-a-pot. Not sure how that will go over with the resident feline though!

4:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home