Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A Phone Call

Saying for the Day: First impressions aren't always correct.

Back to life in our first parsonage.
One afternoon after we had been in the parish for about a month and a half the phone rang.

I was watching a football game so it must have been Sunday afternoon.
I had me feet up and was feeling pretty good.
We had put out our first newsletter that week and I thought the whole process had gone well.
In fact life in the parish seemed pretty wonderful.

That’s when the phone rang.
A very angry lady began to swear at me as loudly as she could.
I had to hold the phone away from my ear.
In between calling me names she charged that I was working with the school superintendent to get her family.
Now I had only met the school superintendent once and I certainly was not plotting with him against her.
She slowed down enough for me to ask why she thought I was out to get her.
She read to me the birthday list from the newsletter which included her daughter’s birthday.
That reference convinced her I was out to get her.
I told her I hadn’t intended to offend her but she called me a liar and hung up.
Well that ruined my day.
Later I discovered that she had a history of mental problems but nobody had bothered to warn me.

She really wasn’t a bad lady. In fact we became friends of sorts. Her daughter was part of the debate team I coached the following year for the local high school.
Despite the problems at home the girl was a good student and a great debater.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my garage where the trains may not run much longer and the end may be coming soon. – Tommy and the council met last night. Tommy announced that this was not the time for the town to be run by kids and that they had talked seven adults into taking their place. They had figured out how to do this. First one of the council members resigned. Then the remaining members picked someone to take his or her place until the next election. Eino agreed to take Billy’s place and Billy was the first one to resign. The five remaining then selected Eino and Tommy swore him in. Then the next resigned and the five , which now included Eino, selected the person to replace him. The process continued until all six of the council members were now adults. The only surprise in the selections was that one of the new council people was Nancy.
Then came Tommy’s turn to resign and to let them know who was willing to be Mayor. Tommy offered his resignation and announced that the next Mayor would be Mrs. Trumble. You could have heard a pin drop. But the six new council members elected or selected her to be the Mayor until the next general election. Somebody asked Tommy how he could allow Mrs. Trumble to be Mayor. He answered “ She was willing and nobody else was”.
Then Tommy announced he was going back to being a boy .
*****

Today's Link-Every Little Thing- Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comments to get those sort of funny JCPOINTS,Check your points HERE. Remember those points could win you a Pic A Prize.
Had a good day today. We almost finished the study. I think by Friday we will be done. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

23 Comments:

Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Yes - there is always one in every parish. No one warns you and you step on the mine and are VERY surprised! I always remind myself that Christ did not intend the church to be made up only of well people - "It's the sick who need a doctor . . ." The Church should be about people getting well.

4:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like Tommy may have a career in politics when he grows up.

4:46 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

Another lovely story Dr John it sounds like you handled the situation very well!

5:59 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

Tried to post a comment on the link but it wouldn't except it

6:10 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Can I pick a grownup to be me, and go back to being a girl?

6:24 AM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Yep, Tina, link ate my comment too - will have to check back. Very funny entry - especially since my son is a volunteer firefighter and is looking to get his EMS certification! Will have to pas on to him.

Sorry about the mom with "issues" - tough to get blindsided like that. But what a sigh of relief when you find out the truth and say "Oh thank goodness, it WASN'T me!"

I like Tommy - smart young man - very creative.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Way to drop a bomb, Tommy! Maybe running the town will keep Mrs. Trumble so busy she doesn't have time to hunt rabbits and dragons.

6:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't seem to leave a comment on today's link, either.

7:05 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

You always have the most interesting stories!

7:22 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

A phone call like that would ruin my day, too even if it was from a crazy person.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mrs. Trumble as Mayor is a good choice. She's single minded and determined, if anyone can get Pidgeon Falls on track she can.
I hate phone calls like that, I get them from time to time from some article I've written for the paper. Bums me out for days.

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come on Dr John! We all know you were really out to get her!LOL!

Sounds like she is a few cans short of a 6 pack. Or maybe she had one too many 6 packs! LOL! Same difference I guess!

10:01 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

Dr. John ~ I guess that is why they call it "A CALLING!" ~ jb///

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh dear, what a welcome to your new parish but then when you can handle the worst after that it's easy. :p
Mrs. Trumble Mayor? Oh poor White Rabbit!

1:38 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

WOw that is really sad. My dealt with his share of crazies when he was pastoring as well. One woman in our church thought she was his wife. Creepy.

3:27 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh how kind of you to not judge her and not hold it against her. too many would have done that. i'm sorry she went off on you like that but is she was ill, she was not in total control of her actions. i'm glad that her daughter was able to succeed with all that she was having to deal with.
***********
i kinda like the idea of the kids running the town. Tommy with his innocence and his new ideas did much good and bought on welcome changes. the kids were smart on how they got the grown ups to take over the jobs. quick and smart thinking on their part. i can't imagine her as the mayor. i hope the rabbit and dragon are safe.
*********************
hope you and Betty are well. hugs to you both. much love.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Jan said...

I think Tommy is one smart kid!

Hope you are feeling well.

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So really, why were you plotting against her with the school superintendent, ha,ha..

4:21 PM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

I am glad to hear you and this lady made friends - sort of.

Hopefully Pigeon Falls will be able to find some that are willing to rule. Maybe with Mrs Trumble at the helm, things will work out for the good.

Blessings for a good day

4:24 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I enjoyed reading that. You are such a good storyteller.

I am sure it wasn't easy to be that woman. Life is hard enough even without mental problems. I'm glad her daughter was able to turn out well.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Funny how nobody ever warns us about certain people like this. I've ran into quite a few in my years and it can be fun - but ohhhh watch out if there is ever the slightest misunderstanding.

Tommy should declare the town to have fun, stop working, build snowmen and take the entire month of December off to celebrate Christmas while they can. In case they can't.

I sure hope nobody has to do any banking, shopping or doctors visits while the town is closed for a holiday.

6:21 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I haven't had a chance to visit many of my blog buddies lately because we have had one Pacific storm after the other roll in and the power has been on and off. It's on ....today.

Thank you for suggesting Sue's blog. She's a wonderful artist.

I always feel very sorry for people who have a mental illness, because it seems to be the one illness for which people have very little empathy.

Pigeon Falls can't close.

Cheers,
Josie

7:51 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I had a gf who's Mother had mental problems...it was very sad. She would also make phone calls...and drive her car wildly through town. It was very embarassing for my friend, but we were young and she didnt understand. She would be fine for months and then she would go off...the whole situation was just very sad for all concerned.

3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home