Thursday, November 23, 2006

My first job

Saying for the Day:Yesterday is a very special place.
Yesterday I read Gary’s blog and it reminded me of my first job.
I was ten years old and my Aunt Ida gave me the job of rolling the calendars they gave to customers during the Christmas season.
I worked in the back room of Linna’s Drug , the family drug store.
My Aunt Ida was the primary pharmacist and I watched as she filled prescriptions.
In those days some of the pills were made up in the store , not like today where the pharmacist counts pills.
It made me feel important to be part of all of that.

I rolled each calendar tight and put a little seal on it to keep it rolled.
After about one hundred calendars it wasn’t as much fun but I would keep at it.
My grandfather would come in, he lived upstairs, and tell them to let me have a break and get some pop.
It was always good to see him.
His favorite pop was black cherry and so it was my favorite as well.
My dad said that it was a pop that tastes like bed bugs smell but I didn’t care.
It was grampa’s pop so it had to be good.

The drug store at this time of year was full of Christmas junk.
Special displays were set up with bubble bath and things like that.
It looked great and smelled wonderful.
I loved that store and it was a great job.
I got paid a penny a calendar and spent it on penny candy.
You could get good candy for a penny in those days.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my garage where the trains still run and people are sure the end is coming.– Today is Thanksgiving and you won’t find a single Tofurkey in all of Pigeon Falls. Vegetarianism never caught on here though every once in a great while somebody gives it a try. This is a community of proud hunters of animals. In fact the truly discriminate family insists that the Tom Turkey be hunted and not purchased in a grocery store. Non of that humanly killed nonsense here. Even Dr. Kevorkian , the death doctor, could not envision people who begged for fresh killed game. They will accept beef from the store because cows don’t run wild. The horrible truth is that it is lots of work to prepare a fresh killed turkey. The dynamics included soaking the bird in hot water until you can remove the feathers, then you have to clean out the inside of the bird. The child of my neighbor got very sick watching the process. That image has been gnawing at him ever since so now he makes the kid stay inside and everything is copacetic . The hardcore hunter will never change.
On Thanksgiving morning there will be a big platter of scrambled eggs and ham with plenty of toast. Then as they sit down to the big meal the head of the family will remind them of all the things for which they are grateful which of course includes the fresh killed and cooked turkey.
*******
No LInk today: It is Thanksgiving. Go have another piece of pie, play with a grandkid, argue politics with a family member, watch foorball, or spend some time counting your blessings and giving thanks. But get off the computer for a day.
Thanks to Cindra Jo for eighteen of the words used in today's Pigeon Falls story.
It was a wonderful Thanksgiving day. The food was great . My grandkids (3 of them) were here. I lost $14.00 to the oldest one. Don't ask how. Thjey are staying until tomorrow. I think the move was worth it. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

KIds arent arriving til later in the afternoon. Turkey is still a little frozen. But all is good.
Happy Thanksgiving.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Dr. John, to you and yours!

5:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First jobs are the best.
Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family..

5:58 AM  
Blogger Nessa said...

Loved the story. It reminds me of the time my Father...(I think I'll save it for a post. Thanks for the inspiration.) I have off, whoo hoo and everyone is still sleeping so I've actually had time to catch up on people's blogs. I'll be back here over the weekend to read more about Pidgeon Falls.)

Happy Thanksgiving. Come see my attack hand turkey, Charlie.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Great memory Dr. John! Happy Thanksgiving to you, Betty and the whole Linna family.

I'm really enjoying today, this is the first year Katie is really enjoying the thanksgiving day parade on tv.

-Margie

(PS: I can take down the tub photo if you'd like. Just say the word and it's outta here.)

7:06 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

To a most wonderful family. Happy Thanksgiving Day to all of you. Enjoy your home and your first holiday there. God Bless and love to you all.






(will be back later to leave my usual daily comment)

8:36 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

A penny per calendar was good pay in those days!

10:36 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Oh that reminded me of my childhood.My Godmother had a grocery store.Every day after school,Id bike there and work out the back filling bags with flour or sugar from a huge sack..Id serve ppl in the shop while sneakily eating chocolate fish..They had a bread shop adjoining and my cousin and I worked there in the school holidays.It smelled wonderful.I was happy to work in the shop and loved all the customers.Thanks for the memory Dr John.
And Happy thanksgiving:) to you and Betty and your families

11:11 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Wishing you and Betty and your famaily a Happy Thankgiving Day.

Blessings to you all

11:41 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

My oldest son and daughter in law and grand daughter didn't come up this year. My parents both had to work today, so it was just the three of us.

I am grateful for another Pidgeon Falls episode. I am grateful for you and your's, and the many online friends you have brought my way. I am grateful for my family, my friends, but most of all this year, I am most grateful that my hubby is still alive.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i love imagining you work with your family. your story reminds me of my 'playing working' in my aunt's pharmacy. i have written about it before. i go in there and play pharmacist and sell (with my aunt's blessings) the products at much cheaper prices. i remember selling Vick's for .25 and to the ones i knew were poor, i give them what they were buying for free..i did this very often. her pharmacy was to the one wing/side of her parents, my great-grandparents home where i lived..she was quite well off and very charitable so my doing anything like that was to her delight...she is still a most wonderful aunt. i miss her. it was great to see her for the first time since i left Nicaragua in Miami. she is the one whose husband just died after i came back..
thank you for your memory, i think soon i will post my own...you are one post ahead, :)
*************
i don't think i could do the hunt and kill turkeys. i am more the supermarket ready bird type of girl...even better if i get it perfectly cooked and i'm not the one who cooked it, lol...
******************
i'm delighted to know that the family is sleeping over. that you guys had a delicious dinner. how funny that Bree beat you at Canasta..i'm guessing that is it anyways..lol..Sweet dreams and many hugs to all.

6:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Sounds like a wonderful time. And I did enjoy the stories today...thanks so much for including me. I do appreciate it. I got my cup, too! Thanks.

7:51 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I'm sorry for not dropping by on your birthday. I opened my blog only today and saw it just today. Anyway, hope my greeting isn't late for a good friend. Happy Birthday! If you drop by today, I have prepared something special for you.

9:09 PM  
Blogger fennymun said...

Dr John, wish Betty and you have a wonderful and enjoyable thanksgiving.

10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr John Happy Thanksgiving, to you and your family.Have lots of fun my friend.
Wish you well

10:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home