Thursday, November 16, 2006

One more ride wih Grampa John




The saying for the day: Sometimes two experts are the problem not the solution.

I wanted to share a little more about my grandfather John.
He and my Grandfather James along with my dad built the house I grew up in.
The family story is that after the foundation was laid Grampa James came and laid out the house .
In the afternoon Grampa John came and tore out everything James had done and did it his way.
Between the two of them (both expert carpenters) we got a house where the only room for the steps to the upstairs (my room and Dawn’s room) was so limited that they could only build very steep stairs.
I hated those stairs.

As Grampa John got older his vision got poorer .
My parents used to have either my sister or me to ride back to town with him.
Our job was to watch for cars coming from the side before he pulled out onto the main road.
If one was coming we had to say in Finnish “no cars coming” which was something like “ei guttodohlo” but I tried using a Finnish translator and I know that isn’t right but it sounded like that.
It made my sister Dawn very nervous.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my garage where the trains still run and dragons fly free– If there was anyone in Pigeon Falls that possessed the least
bit of couth they wouldn’t be found at a hunting camp. No , the people who go to hunting camps sit around enjoying stories that are not in any way significant. There are no phones allowed at hunting camp not even the cordless kind. They would have to come to town and get the sheriff from the jail (if we had a sheriff or a jail) if anything went wrong. And something could go wrong. One could slip and fall on the squishy stuff that falls on the ground when you gut a deer. One of the hunters fell like that in 1989 and missed a trip to Hawaii. He was stuck in his studio apartment not too silently contemplating his broken leg. There he had a sort of peace but wished he was on the beach watching a pretty girl in a bikini. He still filled his belly with enough beer to keep the local liquor store in business. Some day he promises he will go diving in Hawaii. If his hunting practices had been any good it never would have happened. But he forgets all that at Serra’s hunting camp. Lots of good stories at the Pigeon Falls camps.
Nancy says she gets to hear some of those stories when the season is over and they stop in for a cup of coffee and a saffron bun . She could write a book .
Tommy didn’t go hunting . He says he doesn’t like to kill things. He would rather take pictures of deer than shoot at them. Mrs. Trumble on the other hand has a deer licensee and intends to get a buck or a dragon.
******

Today's Link:Blah,Blah, Blog: -Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get those almost presidential JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your total.
The day hasn't started well. My original link had a period in the wrong place. That is now fixed.
I am racing against the movers because once they come I have no internet connection. That means I may not blog again until tomorrow night when I get to my son's. The new house won't have a connection until next week. It is chaos here as we help Pennie move her stuff and she has too much stuff. I like Cindra Jo's contest but have no time so I worked the words into today's Pigeon Falls just for fun. Well , now I need my morning brreathing teatment.
GBYA

24 Comments:

Blogger kristi said...

With 2 perfectionist carpenters building a house its a wonder that they ever got it done.
Though growing up in a house that your grandfathers built had to be neat!

4:49 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

morning dr. John, the link of the day is not available is says..

5:00 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Your post reminded me of my grandfather - who thought he could do anything and tried everything at least once. My grandparents house had electric outlets in the oddest places, doors that were hung backwards and a toilet whose flushing system remained a mystery to the plumber! God bless those who worked with their hands and did their best. The family motto my grandfather handed down to me was, "Make. Do. Mend." And he practiced what he preached!

5:10 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

My dad's cousin helped with our family home. As they were putting in the foundation, he thought it would stick out of the ground too high and not look good. So they dropped it a foot. Needless to say, the water table was too high also. Every spring and heavy rain there was water in the basement.

5:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is nothing like having two strong willed people working together, ha,ha..
Glad I grew up in a family where no one had any real talents..

5:50 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

ah the stubborn so and so's LOL!

I can't seem to follow your link of the day. Isit working or is the problem my end.

5:53 AM  
Blogger Katie McKenna said...

awww Cindra's game!

Some of my family comes from MI . I enjoyed readng about yours.

Thank you.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Jan said...

I had no problem with the link of day, went right there to read a funny political joke, thanks Doc.

Hopefully the move will go as painlessly as possible. You will be greatly missed however long or short abscence from us is.

Love y' and betty!

6:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That reminds me of riding with my grandmother. She could see, she was just a horrible driver. I was always a nervous wreck with her.

Hope all goes smoothly with the move.

7:26 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

This explains your fondness for ranch homes and why you have never purchased a two story.....

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two experts on a job never works. As a retired carpenter, I've had too many chances to deal with someone who always seemed to think he had a better way. Architects are notorious for interfering. They generaly have little actual building experience and have only theory to draw on. Real life experience on the job teaches you quickly what works and what doesn't. And homeowners who hire you to do a remodeling job always seem to want to second guess the process. I learned to nod my head, mumble something about doing it their way, and then proceeded to do the job right--my way.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

My friend had a house with very steep stairs leading up to her and her brother's room. They might as well have put in a fireman's pole.

These days, closet sized elevators are all the rage in some of the old refurbished homes being remodeled here in Savannah. The fire and building codes allow it.

Best wishes for a smooth move and week Dr. John.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John,
Thanks so much for linking to my humble weblog. At first I'm thinkin'...who in the heck is Dr. John? But, through my sly and cunning, was able to figure out how you found me. Looks like you've got quite the following + one more. Maybe I can coax both of the people that come to my site to stop by as well! Thanks again.

11:33 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Dr John,
nice of you to give the rest of us a chance at Cindra Jo's word game.

We really don't stand a chance against the way you weave the words into the tales at Pigeon Falls. lol!

But we also miss you and all those who come over to vote at the competition. So here's an invite to all - and even though the entries are supposed to be anonymous ...
here's a clue vote for entry Q

11:40 AM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Well, I enjoy carpentry, but I've built little things - never a house! I would be so proud to live in a house built by the hands of someone I knew and loved. But those stairs would have driven me nuts - we once went to a restaurant with really steep steps down to the rest rooms. I had to hold on for dear life and it hurt my knees to go up and down.

Dr. John, I was looking on your site to find Tony's new link and was shocked to also find one for me. I had no idea. I'm humbled and thankful.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Cherlee's said...

Your grandfathers are to funny! I must say you were lucky to have both of them in your life.

2:45 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Ive seen a lot of older houses with those steep steps....do you suppose they all had a Grandfather and uncle that disagreed? lol.

I can understand why Dawn got nervous riding with Grandpa!

2:55 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

hahaaa, luv the carpenter fight. Amazing the house was ever built.

Oh how can U miss a trip to Hawaii. I would go even if I was on my death bed.

' ]

3:27 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

I hate stairs, period. They scare me, although I have to walk up them day in and day out, but if I had to walk up THOSE narrow stairs, I don't think I could've done it!

4:31 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, I love your entry into Cindra Jo's contest and if I could I would vote for you.

5:11 PM  
Blogger plinna said...

I hated those stairs. I fell a couple times on them and carried many things up and down them. I do have very fond memories of the house. I also remember hunting on the back 40 and getting lost and finding a new ways out of the woods. I loved playing football with Pat and the cousins. The sauna was cool(hot).

6:31 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i love your family stories. your granfathers were hillarious..i can just see how it all happen, you tell it so well.

i love the pics..everyone is so adorable.

i have much trouble with stairs. they have to be wide and not too high from each other, or else it gets hard for me to do them..
when i met Joe, he lived in a basement suite and the stairs were short and steep..it was hard let me tell you...
********************
i think you did a wonderful joy with incorporating the words in the story. you are very good at this...i wish you will have the time to join in next round for i think you win no problem...
*****************************
how kind of you to try to blog as much as you have under the circumstances. thank you. i hope all is going as smooth as possible. we will miss you and i hope you and Betty enjoy this new beginning..take care pls and enjoy. we will all be here waiting and happy to have you back. hugs and much love to all of you.

7:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How lucky to have not just one granfather but two! Excellent use of Cindra's words, that was funny!

3:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the shout out on the contest...I love it when you incorporate the words! Sorry I'm late getting here, but my computer has been giving me fits.

Hey, do you think I could get Tommy's phone number? I kinda like him. Oh, nevermind. I'm married to one just like him...and his name is Tommy too!

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home