Tuesday, November 07, 2006

The Peace of God

Saying for the day: May God's Peace fill your life.

There are two roads to peace.

One road requires that we human beings put aside our differences, our old hatreds, our desire to force everybody to be like us, our greed, and all the other things that divide us.
Then we work for the good of all human beings.
At the end of that road there is no starvation, no poverty.
There is health care for everybody.
There is no killing and no war.
There is harmony and real peace.
That’s one road.

The other road is a road of revenge, getting even, and making things right.
On this road people either agree or we kill them.
Some of the people on this road will have most of the good things.
People will starve.
Sickness will run rampant.
There will be war after war.
Finally there will be peace.
It will be the peace of the graveyard.
There will be no humans to ruin the peace.

Which road will we humans go down?

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run and so does Mrs. Trumble– There was a large turnout to vote today. It looks like most of the people in Pigeon Falls will have voted by the end of the day. People are waiting to see if anybody got written in for Mayor and if so will they take the job. They have to wait until the votes are counted. All written ballots in Pigeon Falls, no machine voting.
Eino really doesn’t know what to think about the Hermit. The FBI says he is alive and well but won’t tell Eino where he lives or how to get a hold of him. If he Goggles the name he finds some guy in Sweden and he is sure that’s not the guy. The guy the FBI talked to said he was the Hermit but just got tired of Pigeon Falls and left. But nobody saw him go. He didn’t go by train and he didn’t have a car. Mystery upon mystery.
Nancy says she gave out a lot of free coffee today but she sold enough saffron buns to break even for the day. She is glad so many people voted and she hopes they get a Mayor.
Karen Single says she is so glad the election is over. Yesterday she got called nine times by recording machines to tell her to vote for certain candidates in various offices. They are getting as bad as Dish Network that calls every day with the same recorded message. Some day she is going to push the right number and pretend to be interested so she can waste as much of their time as they have of hers.
******

Todays Link:Mimi Writes- Please remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get those peace loving JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your totals. Today's link is to the blog that is responsible for the image that starts my blog today. I thought you might like to see what she says about peace.
Just a reminder to go and vote today. Please be sure to vote for the best candidates.
This morning I wrote a story for Cindra's latest contest but since it must be anonymous I can't tell you about it. I can't even give you a teeny, weenie, little hint. That when I know I am going to be against her relatives any one of whom might have an inside track. But I press on any way.
I do want to thank Cindra Jo for the beautiful ornaments which have arrived ( how else would I know they were beautiful?) They were my prize for the last contest I entered.
I spent the morning finishing up some things for the church secretary. In the afternoon Betty and I went to the bank and closed out an old account. Then to the courthouse where we voted. Then to the postoffice where we mailed the Friday and Monday prizes. Finally we went to the church and gave them the money from the closaed account for the furnace fund. Then we came home and I spent the afternoon working on the mini-marathon. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope we find a trail of Peace globes today, good summing up Dr. John.

Can't wait to hear about the election results in Pidgeon Falls!

4:28 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Your post made me remember a discussion I had about what God's kingdom would look with a group of 3 - 7 year olds (they were learning the Lord's Prayer). Their vision was that everyone would have twinkies to eat and people to love them - and there would be friendly dinosaurs who would give everyone rides. We gradually worked the conversation around to the fact that if we were going to help God's kingdom come on earth, some of us were going to have to give up the twinkies so that everyone could have bread.

4:30 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

I know which road I want to go down, unfortunately, I don't think it's the road the majority will choose. I guess the starting point would be to not vote for anyone who has previously sanctioned war, but again, sadly, I suspect you will eventually run out of people to vote for.

4:42 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Did anyone see the white rabbit come and vote? Thought he was the only one campaigning. Think he would come and vote for himself.

Will be glad when this day is over. We are in a battleground state and the commercials are endless as is the stuff we get in the mail.

5:11 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

The sad thing is that some people, even good people, convince themselves that they are going down the road for peace, even while supporting a war of choice or justifying torture (you know the end justifies the means mentality) or letting percieved fear take over.

I prefer the road to peace and while it may have little impact in a global sense, I hope it is part of a collective that keeps the evil road takers in check.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

Peace to you and your loved ones! c",)

5:33 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I box up and seal all my worries, strife and unrest and hand the entire kit and kaboodle up to the Lord in prayer. He is so much better at sorting all of this out that I could ever be.

Personally, I felt His peace in the midst of tragedy and impending death. I won't bore you with the story, but I will assure you that He is awesome. =O)

6:47 AM  
Blogger fennymun said...

Of course, I'll prefer to road to peace. May God's blessing be with you and Betty always.

7:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Peace of the Lord be with you, Dr. John..my post is up!

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Historically speaking, when two roads converge in the woods, mankind has not chosen the less traveled road of peace. It's been full-tilt down the interstate of war.

8:05 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I know it is not comment Monday but I did want to let you know I voted....I feel so patriotic....

8:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Very nice. If we could all learn to find peace. I think of one thing we need to learn if we are to really find Peace. As I recently heard a minister say, we must forgive others, not for them, but for us.

9:17 AM  
Blogger madd said...

stopped by to see your Globe..wonderful post, thank you for your thoughtful words...peace..m

9:38 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

good post Dr J. I am surely hoping I go down the road of peace and harmoney. Its something you have to work at everyday.

10:49 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

The road that you travel with Betty is one that reminds me much of my great-granparents and grandma. It is a wonderful road in which along the way, many of us have been lucky to meet up with you. Your words and that of Betty's are what all humans should strive for. With people who show us the way.
**********
Mrs. Trouble must be getting frustrated. But i'm glad that she hasn't gotten her way.
Eino, should just make the statue part of everyday life. Whether it is the 'real guy' or not. Having him out will either get somone out there mad enough to start acting for if it's a major secret or a hush, hush thing they will not want it out in the open. Or if it's not the real guy and it is just a statue (not my feeling) than he just, has a pal like Betsy.
Nancy was nice to encourage others with what she has.
I have never heard of those recordings. Karen, it pretty smart to have some fun with them back.
*****************
You and Betty are wonderful examples of peace. And because of the family you raised, now many more have been touched..Your spreading the Word, one person at a time. Thank you.
Take care. Much love.

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry I missed Leave A Comment Monday! I had two doctor appts, baby gym, kickboxing, and shopping to do. It was a crazy day! I feel horrible!

I wish that the good road would be taken to peace. But humans are not known for being peaceful. I think we will have a peaceful world one day. But I think that before that happens the world will unfortunately get worse.

11:48 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Awesome Dr John
Two roads indeed
one is easy and is life
the other one is all too easy to fall into, and not so easy to get out of

11:59 AM  
Blogger Bill ~ {The Old Fart} said...

Many travel down the first road. More seem to travel down the second road. We must pray for them that they find the proper road. Then this sphere we call Earth will be what the Lord wants it to be.

I wish you Peace today and everyday.

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John,
I have, as they say, skulked in the background lately, reading and pondering but not commenting
You have written lately about forgiveness. You also wrote me a comment on my blog some time ago about forgiving. I wanted to thank you for all of those very wise words.
In the past few days I have been able to let go of something that I have held for almost 2 years. And I can tell you the peace in my heart is such a blessing as I prepare for my surgery.
So, on the vein of forgiveness, I would choose peace for myself and my world wherever I can. Thank you again for the wise counsel.

1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John,
I have, as they say, skulked in the background lately, reading and pondering but not commenting
You have written lately about forgiveness. You also wrote me a comment on my blog some time ago about forgiving. I wanted to thank you for all of those very wise words.
In the past few days I have been able to let go of something that I have held for almost 2 years. And I can tell you the peace in my heart is such a blessing as I prepare for my surgery.
So, on the vein of forgiveness, I would choose peace for myself and my world wherever I can. Thank you again for the wise counsel.

1:08 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

There will never be world peace..never has been either.The countries at war now always have fought..its religion that divides ppl.
The only time there will ever be peace is when Christ returns to earth to reign for a thousand years.

1:09 PM  
Blogger Mimi Lenox said...

Thank you, Dr. John, for alerting so many to Dona Nobis Pacem in the Blogosphere today. Many many folks came my way via your wonderful blog. I love your globe and have been absolutely overwhelmed with this amazing response from the blogging community. Humbled and peaceful and proud. Peace to you and yours....Mimi Lenox

4:49 PM  
Blogger Sara's Varolo Village said...

This is a beautifully written and succinct post. I truly wish that idealism is the answer. The question is how do we get there when we can only change ourselves?

Sara

8:20 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, as one of Cindra's relatives I take offense. Cindra doesn't vote. We all submit anonymously, and everyone is free to vote. Still, you can rest assured I won't be offering anymore submissions. I find I do not care for having my ethics called into question.

Peace.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Vinny "Bond" Marini said...

Peace to you and yours and the rest of the world

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quilly-I hardly think that Dr. John was serious. He was playing. It didnt' make me think twice about it. But you know, what strikes a chord with you may be different than what strikes a chord with me, so I can only speak for myself...take care.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quilly, as your sister and Cindra's mother, I want to tell you that I sure was not offended, I think Dr. John was having some fun and teasing - (if it was a serious statement he sure would not be entering any contests over there) - so I'm sure he was not calling our ethics into question, sweetie.

This is the ONLY downside I ever see to 'communicating' on the web. We can put the 'words' down, but not the emotion behind them.
Sometimes you have to know someone in person, to know what their intent was, of their written word. I've noticed since so much of our family is blogging, when you or Cindra or Brooke or Caryl or Tom write on here...I can actually 'hear' your voice and whether or not you are amused or being sarcastic, or whatever. Others don't have that - as I don't have it for them.

It's peace day and I hope you are feeling peaceful now. Love you.

12:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Dr. John - Hi! Please forgive me! I didn't mean to take over your whole comment section. I always have a hard time shutting off this 'mouth' when I get going.

BTW - nice post!

12:08 PM  
Blogger TorAa said...

For me peace means respect for life - whatever race, colour, class and religion. But it is undoubtly very hard in a world with so many people claiming they have monopoly of thruth.

1:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good, i just added up tons of fresh emo backgrounds 4 my blog
http://www.emo-backgrounds.info

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home