Thursday, November 02, 2006

Ellis Island

Saying for the day: Everyone should visit Ellis Island at least once.

My Grandfather John Linna arrived from Finland at New York on March 5, 1898.
He came over on the Lucania .

Pictured here.

From New York he went to Hancock, Michigan to live with a brother.




My Grandfather James Lanyon arrived from England on April 21 ,1906.
He came over on the Caronia.

Pictured here.

From there he went to Hornick Falls to the home of a cousin.

My grandmother Lydia Linna and two her children arrived from Harma Finland on May 22, 1904.
They came over on the Saint Louis.
She was on her way to Ishpeming, Michigan where my grandfather had already established a home.

Until last Monday I had none of this information but then I discovered http://www.ellisisland.org/
This is an amazing free website.
You type in the name of a relative who came through Ellis Island and it will search out the information for you.
It does a great job .
It even lets you see the manifest of the boat they came on where their name and other information is recorded.
The best part about it all is its free.(and works better than Blogger)

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run and dragons fly free– Eino is still upset but he says next time he will catch the dragon. Mrs. Trumble says that’s nonsense because only Dragon Slayer and silver bullets with Holy Water can impact the dragon.
Mrs. Trumble was upset because her neighbor had his driveway blacktopped and they parked heavy equipment in front of hers. “Wonder if I had a call about the White Rabbit and had to get out in a hurry?” she said. She called the Mayor and complained. The Mayor said she would look into it. Of course by Friday they will be done and gone so nothing will come of the complaint.
Tuesday is the election and nobody has yet said they are willing to be Mayor. Tommy says he would vote for the White Rabbit if he was old enough to vote. The rabbit’s slogan could be “ A carrot in every pot”.
By Williams went bird hunting yesterday with his dog Oscar. It’s called Oscar because it was born during the Academy Awards presentation. Bud says a good bird dog is hard to find and Oscar is one of the best.If there was an Academy Award for a great hunting dog then Oscar would get the Oscar.
******

Today's Link- Is it Raining- Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get those slightly wet JCPOINTS. Check your total HERE. Our next prize drawing is tomorrow and it could be you (then again it probably will be somebody else.)
I spent the morning in the ChurcH office teaching the secretary how to do the church's web page. She will take over when we move. While I did that Betty ran a variety of errands. In the afternoon I did some more work on the last web page I will have anything to do with. Then we began taking pictures of the living room train layout since soon we will pack it up to move it.
Pastor Bonnie from Iron River stopped in, to bring us some boxes, and we had a great talk. She seems like my kind of pastor. Its too bad I am leaving and won't have a chance to hear her preach. The last thing we did was add some new prizes to the pick a prize page. Now I need a breathing treatment.

19 Comments:

Blogger Tina Dray said...

What a great web site to find and free to!
lovely to find out more of your families history!

4:13 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

How exciting to discover more of your family's history. It is always important to know where we came from - and anything that is free and works should be celebrated!

4:23 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Has Eino thought about what he would do if he actually caught the dragon? Think he best take some dragon training courses first.

5:01 AM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

This is very cool, Dr. John. I would love to know my family history. My great-grandparents were refugees from what is now Turkey. They barely escaped with their lives, let alone any family documents or possessions. My dad came to this country in 1950, after Ellis Island closed.

I wish I had the foresight to ask my older uncles more about family history and the persecutions when I was much younger and they were still alive. You are so lucky to be able to add all this to your family history!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

That was interesting. I can only trace my father's family history 3 generations to Ellis Island. All that I know is my great grandfather was a shipmate on an Irish ship and moved in when docking here. We doubt if he was even from Ireland.

On my Mother's side, however we came right over from Kent, England and plopped up in Boston on a ship named the Handmaiden and were some of the first settlers. Two Brothers came over. One settled, started a family and did the right thing. The other... well let us just say he was a bit of prodigal son. He had to sell his children to richer families in the area to afford his habits.

Guess which brother I came from? It sure made tracing the family tree a bit difficult.

6:30 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

tha is so cool and to actually see the ships they arrived on makes it even more special.

6:37 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

Thanks for the information on an interesting site. I will have to check it out & see if any of my folks got here through Ellis Island.

Have a wonderful day.

Blessed be...

6:45 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think my grandfather on my mother's side came in there. He ran away from Germany when he was about 14. He lied about his age and joined the Marines. They didnt figure it out for a few years. He spent 44 years with them retiring as a captain.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

How very interesting to have a trail back through your heritage. On my father's side, we were already here (Cherokee) and mother's people did not pass information down before they died.

9:20 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Thats a good site.
Its always nice to trace our ancestors..one of my cousins has done our family tree...way back.
Breathe easy Dr John

11:12 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

hello. my great-grandmother's parents came from France. she married a native from Nicaragua. this was my mom's side..i know a love of their history but very little from my dad's side. i think our history is not just our foundation but a source of joy. i'm so glad you have yours and pics to go with it. i loved reading this about your ancestors. i'm sure they look down at you with pride and joy. thank you to them for making it all happen and now we enjoy you.
*********
Oscar is a great name. i loved it from Sesame Street. i hope the dragon and rabbit had many more tricks up their sleeve so they don't get caught.
**************
thank you for all your prayers. i feel them protecting me and guarding me. every minute i feel better and more able to handle things. i can't believe you care so much for me you postponed the marathon. i know it must have sent your post organization into a mess, i'm sorry for that and for ever grateful. God bless you both. much love.

12:41 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Ahh a finn
Yep they get about
I've met on virgin caribbean beaches
I've met them on the top of a mountain in the Andes
I've met them in the deserts of Africa.
These finns are like the Irish, scousers, and aussies, there may be few, but you find them here, you find them there you find them everywhere ...

PS - Wanna buy any stocks? lol!

1:34 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

What a great website! I'm gonna have to check it out!

PS; On November 11th, Vote White Rabbit!

4:18 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

wow, I will have to check that out!!anything works better than blogger!

4:30 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

That is awesome that you were able to get a little family history for free.

If I was in Pigeon Falls, I'd vote for the rabbit. I like the kid's spirit and sometimes listening to kids is the best advice you can give yourself. Kids are smart. ;)

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John and Betty, It was a pleasure to visit with you this evening. Your house is lovely and will make another family a fine home. The trains are stupendous and you have been very creative with them.

By the way, I spell my name, Bonny. My favorite joke is at Easter, as the Easter Bonny wishes her congregation Happy Easter.

It is beginning to snow. Up, I live in the U.P.

Easter Bonny
Perhaps it would be good to vote for the rabbit... a carrot in every pot...sounds really good to me.

8:06 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

My husband's parents both came over from Lithuania through Ellis island, the only problem, when they came, the people at Ellis couldn't pronounce the last name, so they just changed it so that they could. We now do not really know the proper spelling.......the way we spell it is NOT the way it was originally spelling or prounounced.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

My family was here before Ellis Island became an immigration port.

11:45 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

That's a great info. Can maybe try it too.

3:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home