Thursday, October 26, 2006

Uncle Marvin


Saying for the Day: It's not what you know but who you know that counts.

This is a picture of my Great Aunt Bessie and Uncle Marvin Everett.
They lived in Toldeo, Ohio and were the nicest people you could ever meet.
Great Aunt Bessie was my grandmother’s sister.

Sometimes when I was visiting my grandmother their son Paul would visit and we would explore the cliffs behind Gram’s house together.
Paul always had a good story to tell.

My Great Uncle Marvin started as a deckhand on a Pittsburgh Steamship and worked his way up to Captain.
Once he was Captain my Great Aunt sailed with him in the summer.
He used his influence to get me a job on the boats that paid for most of my college.
He had the terrible task of coming to the boat in Duluth where we were laying up because of a strike and telling me that my Finnish Grandfather had died.
He arranged train tickets and sent me home.
How lucky I was that he was there.

Betty and I had an opportunity to visit them in their home in Toledo and they treated us like royalty.
They even served steaks which in those days was quite a treat.

I’m sure there is a special place in heaven for them both and that they still look in on me from time to time from up there.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my garage where the trains still run and winter is coming.– It has been very cold in Pigeon Falls the last few days. The pond at Crippled Creek has frozen over. People are wearing heavy coats. The furnaces have been turned back on and where people are burning wood you can see streams of white smoke. For a few days there was snow on the ground but it melted. It will be back soon, however. Jack is getting ready to move to Florida for the winter as he has the last few years. One hopes that he will find somebody to run the Sauna since this is the time of year you need it to take the chill out of the bones. Of course our old Finns used to take a Sauna and then roll in the snow. Then take another one. They said it cleaned the pores. It seems about as strange as those people who cut holes in the ice to go swimming.
The deer hunters are hoping for a light tracking snow and, of course, so is Mrs. Trumble. There needs to be a delicate balance. If the snow is too deep it is hard to move in the woods and the deer hears you coming. IF there is no snow tracking is much harder. What they are praying for is some light tracking snow. One wonders what kind of tracks a two and one half foot rabbit leaves. Well we will see.
Nancy says that people really want Mayor South to stay on but she is just now willing to put up with the abuse any longer. People can be so hard on their leaders. They blame them for everything that goes wrong. They call them insulting names. They don’t even try to understand the hard choices leaders have to make. Well Mayor South will have no more of it.
IN Pigeon Falls it is not a Republican or Democrat sort of thing. The people who run for the council or who used to run for council never claimed any party. They just ran for council or Mayor. The guy that ran against Mayor South in the last election has left the area or he might have run again.
Nancy has announced that she will give a year’s supple of coffee and saffron buns to anybody who will run for the office. That’s a free cup of coffee every day and a free saffron bun. But there have been no takers. You can’t even bribe them to take the office.Perhaps, Nancy will give up trying to find somebody and run , herself.
*****

Today's Link: The Ramblings of an Undisturbed Mind-Remember to keave the words Dr. John in the comment to get your not very tool like JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your points which couuld win you what is on the Pic a Prize list.
In the morning I visited and read every blog on my new link list. I felt like I'd done a marathon.
There are just too many good blogs and nice bloggers out there and I am so selfish I want to see all of them.
In the afternoon we received a package from the mortgage company. All the things they want. So Betty and I spent the afternoon finding all those forms. Along with that there were two calls to the comapany for explanations. I need to make one more call tomorrow . Then when we get the big forms copied we can send this all in. I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

23 Comments:

Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

Perhaps some of old Paul's storytelling abilities rubbe off on you along the way... That would certainly explain a few things!

4:57 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

This is very true. It really happens when you apply for a job. You may a Suma Cum Laude, transcript of records all A but if you don't know anybody there your chances against someone applying for a job with very good connections inside even with no skills, scholastic records poor, your chances are very nil.

5:09 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I think it can take a long time to get to the stage where memories of loved ones lost are comforting rather than painful.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

What a pair they sounded like. I love the pic. I love the style of the day. She looks awesome and so does he of course.

It is nice to have family who truly do care and are there to lend a hand. How nice of him to get you a job that job and for him to take care of you when your granpa died. How hard that must have been for him to tell you and for you to hear. I know you loved them all dearly.

Yes, i'm sure they both look down upon you both with pride of what you have both done with your lives and what a wonderful family you have raised.

May we all meet them in heaven one day..
****************
Oh, anyone, anyone for Mayor but Mrs. Trouble! Nancy definetely has the connections in town and knows what it takes to get this done..she make a good Mayor.
I hope the rabbit goes no where near the hunters..I hope he is in town, sipping a nice cup of chocolate with marshmallows in someone's home, hidding while they are in the hunt mood..
The dragon is safer, he can fly and he has fire as his buddy...
*****************
How nice of you to add so many new links. You have been working hard on the site for sure. It looks great.

OUr community is growing leaps and bounds. How great. A tribute to you, how loved you are and how much we enjoy coming here.
I'm so happy Joe is now part of it too..Now he doesn't just get to hear about it but is part of it..

Hoping Betty is warm today. May the two of you have a great day. Hugs all around.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

What wonderful relatives-you were truly blessed. Love the photo-old pics are my passion. I just love to muse about the people in them. Hallmark has a card line that features old photos on the front for many occassions. I can stand there for hours looking, reading, laughing. Hope just the right amount of snow falls in Pigeon Falls.

Blessed be...

6:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Your comments about my pictures made me laugh. Thank you. You are so right about labeling them. I have pictures of my parents' family and even my Dad in the South Pacific in WWII. Who are these people? Too bad more people don't take more interest in family. I still wish I had written down some of the stories from my grandmother and aunt.

Politics as usual? Bribery? So what else is new?

7:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Family history is so great. I love the sense of belonging to something bigger than yourself, of knowing where you come from, what went into making you who you are.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

It sounds like you have a very special family. You are very blessed to have so much love in one family.

8:08 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

This is true....for instance hubby and I knew a pastor who was willing to marry us whenever, wherever....also came in handy when it came time to baptize the kids.

8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr John.Hope you are keeping well my friend.They look good in the pic.Good posting.
Wish you well

9:24 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am surprised to know that Pidgeon Falls has no poltical parties--they are such an asset!

9:47 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

lovely family story again. Your aunt and uncle sound like real good people!

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh it's getting cold here too..and I never get used to the smell of burning wood...

hope you have been well...I may have some good news soon...it's very hard to keep it quiet...pray for me.

11:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. John! Thank you for picking me as your link today! So many wonderful comments! I'll have to come back here more often. Thank you again!

11:16 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

I used to live just outside Toledo, Tony Packos, did they take you there? How exciting to work on a ship... but I bet it was some kind of hard labor.

11:41 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

That was such a nice story about your family...

Made me feel all warm and cozy inside.. cuz I'm cold and lonely at work right now..

It was just the story I needed..

11:42 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

What a wonderful post Dr John. Everyone should have an Uncle and Aunt like that. You know that they love you from their heart. My Father was an only child, but my Mother has 2 brothers and 2 sisters, we have always been very close to them. We lost one of my Aunts 3 years ago. Her and I were very close, we worked in my Fathers office for 12 years together. Everytime the whole family gets together we miss her presence...she was so much fun and she would have gave you the shirt off her back. I am sure she looks in on all of us from time to time.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Nice tribute.

By the way, I like the old blackmailer's saying: It's not who you know, it's what you know about who you know. :)

1:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What lovely memories of your Aunt and Uncle Dr. John, such a close, caring family. And how romantic to work on a steamship.

Fascinated by the sauna and snow treatment, that must have been truly envigorating ~ but what of the neighbours?

Mrs. Trumble for Mayor? Never, no, never! Maybe Nancy could be persuaded?

1:25 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Another great family memory, Dr. John. You're so lucky to have so many memories and photos of your family.

Thanks for sharing them with us!

4:27 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I love wandering theough old memories. They don't even have to be my own! Thanks for sharing Dr. John.

6:22 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

What a sweet story. I'm sure they're watching over you from up above :0)

Snow, already- ugh! Winter really is getting here early, and the White Rabbit, he's not liking it! :0)

8:27 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

What a lovely tribute to your great aunt and uncle. I have fond memories of my aunts and uncles too. I should dig out the pictures.

Cheers,
Josie

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home