Friday, October 20, 2006

Painting the Roof


Saying for the Day: Every artist uses the materials available.

In my garage are boxes of empty spray paint cans.
We used the paint to color mountains and buildings on the Pigeon Falls layout.
I thought that we held some kind of record for spray painting until I read this news article:

“Another painter, California graffiti artist Paco Rosic, set out to facilitate what he called his life's ambition in January when he and his family bought an abandoned warehouse in Waterloo, Iowa, so that he could re-create with spray paint a near replica (in half-size) of Michelangelo's fresco on the Sistine Chapel ceiling. The Los Angeles Times reported in September that he has used 2,000 cans so far and eventually will cover about 2,500 square feet of newly installed curved ceiling in the warehouse“. [Los Angeles Times, 9- 22-06]

Can you imagine using 2000 cans of spray paint.
I’d be afraid that right in the middle of an important piece of the work the can I ‘m using would run out.
Would the next can be the same?
How do you get subtle differences in shading?
Does he have somebody to run up the ladder to bring him cans or does he have a back pack.
I wish I could be there to watch him.
It seems like some television show should go there and film the process.
Some day he might be known as the Michelangelo of the spray can.
Then we wils see a recreation of his work on the history channel.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard where the trains still run and rabbits wear sweaters– No sign of the White Rabbit or the dragon so Eino hasn’t had the opportunity to put his new plan into effect. It is possible that it is so cold that both the dragon and rabbit are hibernating. Of course we know nothing of the hibernation habits of dragons and giant rabbits. Perhaps the dragon flies South for the Winter and takes the White Rabbit with him. If they hibernate or go South Eino is out of luck.
Eino is not having much luck with the stone man either. He can’t find out who the man was who said he was from Homeland Security. His efforts to get more information about the company that owns the hermit house have reached a dead end. Homeland Security itself keeps saying that they will get back to him.
Nancy says Donna Bergall was in for another free cup of coffee and entertained with one of her famous stories. She is so much fun to listen to that Nancy is thinking of giving her free cups of coffee when the cups Donna won in the contest run out.
The Liar’s club is thinking of putting out a little book with all the entries from the recent contest. It would be called chasing the White Rabbit-Almost True Stories.
*****

Todays Link- Ivory's Unfinshed Thoughts- Remember to put Dr. John in the comments to get those animal like JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your total points.
It is Pic a Prize Friday and Betty will draw when she gets up.
A friend sent this http://www.bluemountain.com/view.pd?i=149549234&m=4772&rr=z&source=bma999
Go there if you want a good scare. It is not for the weak hearted or children.We finally did the drawing and the winner is :


Kristin (Ginger's Mom)


Congratulations. Pic k a prize from the pic a prize list and leave the number in a comment.
I visited every one of the blogs on my link list today and left comments on most of them. In the afternoon our power went out for a half an hour. Then we worked in the garage and began bringing in the buildings from the layout. My son Peter and family will be here tomorrow.
I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

22 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Hasnt the White Rabbit heard of layering? That will keep him warm.

4:24 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

I am sitting here trying to figure out how you would paint anything detailed with spray paint. When I refinished a deacons bench with spray paint, it was all over my garage. Now - after my foray into the forsythia bush, you know that I am not all that handy, but still? Can you spray paint with finesse? Please find us the website where we can view this process!

4:43 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

All this use of spray cans doesn't sound to eco friendly to me.This guy must be responsible for at least a small hole in the ozone!

5:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Spray Paint!!! HMM! I see Pidgeon Falls is still up and runnin'

5:56 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I am just thinking about his lungs. I got xylene poisoning from just one can when I spray painted all my frames and I had the garage doors open and was wearing a mask. It was really scary.

dr.kate you would be AMAZED at what grafitti and mural artists can do with a can of spray paint.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

Spray painting is amazing. I saw it done several times in Mexico. Beautiful works of art.

Just stopping by to say Good Morning & wish you a blessed day.

Namaste`

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just now looked at my blog for the first time in weeks and I find this lovely bunch of messages from absolute strangers. Thanks for the link. I must try to update more often to give the lovely people something new to read from me.

Thanks so much, love your site.

BTW, I am the accidental housekeeper.
I just forgot my password.

6:41 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

He must have a strong and steady index finger. I had to spray paint a few dozen soda bottle bottoms for my lawn edging and used about four cans one afternoon. I couldn't type for days.

Yikes! The link scared me silly. My hair is standing straight up and all frizzy now and I have to leave the house like this.

7:00 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

they could at least put him in Peoples magazine so we could see what his ceiling looks like!

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't don't know about subtle shading, but every can of spray paint I've ever used spits and sputters and I end up with big splops and runs where I don't want them.

That Halloween card was very, very scary! I may have to sleep with the lights on.

7:37 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

I've scene some amazing graffitti art around here, done on the run with spray paint. I would also really like to see that ceiling. Someone call PBS!

11:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine breathing the fumes from all those spray cans. If the guy ever reproduces his children will certainly qualify for the carnival...

1:28 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

That was a good greeting card.
Id like to see the guy spray painting too and it should have been on tv.Wonder how the cans work when sprayed upside down??
Wonder what he does with the empties..

2:08 PM  
Blogger kristi said...

One time in Mexico we saw these "artists" who created these beautiful pictures out of pure spray paint. I mean they were like sunsets and beach scenes. At the end they lit it on fire to cure it. It was amazing. I am sure the person who used 5000 cans of spray paint will eventually have some sort of breathing problem

2:08 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

I had never heard of Paco Rosic but i'll google him and see what more i can learn. I hope someday someone does a story on his progress and we can see what see his creation.
**************
Nancy would be getting just as much if not more from giving Donna free coffee. I can only imagine how much fun it would have her telling stories. I hope that Eino is careful and kind when he finds the dragon and rabbit. More questions than answers is the way it seems to be with this mystery..good luck to Eino.
*******************
hope you are well. thank you for leaving me such a nice comment. i hope you and Betty have a wonderful wknd. hugs all around.

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That must be an amazing sight as you say dr.john it should be on tv so we can all see what he is doing. Michelangelo of the spray can... hmmm has a good ring to it!

Wouldn't dragon's central heating keep them both him and Rabbit warm over winter?
Happy weekend Betty & Dr. John.

6:27 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:46 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

...I'm with U doc! I would luv 2 watch the spray can man! There is some very cool graffiti out there, and he sounds like a promising candidate!

They spotted a UFO over here, funny, it looked ALOT like a dragon and a large White Rabbit!

; ]

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had seen the L.A. Times article about this guy. There are some amazing graffiti artists in this area. What's been encouraging to see here is that there are some who started out as young kids defacing property, and with the right direction from some caring adults, they have become incredibly talented artists whose stuff is now being done legitimately on various buildings and public monuments.

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been catching up on my web-surfing ... read your last few entries I'm sorry to hear that your loan went thru; Crystal Falls & Pigeon Falls (did you know that there is a Pigeon River in central WI?) will be missing some great citizens.
Tell Eino to not give up ... he's onto something!

I missed your rummage sale; are you going to have another? ... Are you going to publish the Pigeon Falls Chronicles ever as either a book or an on-line book? I put my Grandfather's memoirs online at:http://members.aol.com/benderslanding/rfmbk.htm

12:56 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Thanks Dr John. Can't wait for #8! By the way, I need to send you our new address...How do I find your email again?

5:51 AM  
Blogger Tea said...

Sure wish I could just close my eyes and hit the spray button to paint my walls and ceiling! Best not though...I get in enough mess with a brush.

tea
xo

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home