Tuesday, October 10, 2006

The end of a hero

Saying for the Day: A hero is sometimes treated like garbage by the people he helped.

This is another tale from the parsonage .
When Peter learned to crawl he had a big stuffed dog that he just loved.
He would crawl to it and drag it around.
It made him happy.

I have included two pictures with this entry .

One is of a happy little Peter and the other of a sad little Peter.

As I said the dog made him happy.
One day when we had a nice fire in the fire place something popped out onto the dog and burned a hole in its side.
Peter was laying on it at the time but it was between him and the fire place which had no screen.
It saved him from being burned because his parents weren’t sharp enough to protect him.

The hole , however, caused the dog (even though we tried to patch it) to begin falling apart.
We had to throw it away.
Thus the picture of sad Peter who missed his dog.

We got him a big stuffed snake to replace it and that’s the third picture.

With parents like us my kids were lucky to survive.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where Liar’s win prizes.– Old Billy Twain who claims to be a descendant of Mark Twain was the next story teller. Here is his story.
Two years ago a traveling magician came to Pigeon Falls. He set up a huge tent and charged $5.00 a ticket to see his show. Well he was a very poor magician and people started shouting they wanted their money back. What they didn’t know was they he may have been a poor magician but he was a very good hypnotist. For his last trick he set up this brightly lit revolving ball and hypnotized everybody in the tent.
He then gave them a set of commands that would cause them to see things whenever they were in certain circumstances and heard certain words. What they saw was a large , white rabbit wearing a sweater and at other times a flying dragon. They each would seem real. They would see them do things in keeping with the event. Our magician then told them to remember him as a great magician and brought them out of the trance. People talked about how good he as for weeks. He had every intention of coming back and removing the suggestion he had implanted but he got killed in a terrible accident. Thus the good people of Pigeon Falls began to see a big White Rabbit on a regular basis and a dragon every once in a while. Now I want to assure you this is not a story I made up. This is the truth. More than that I know the words that will cause the rabbit and the dragon to appear. If you see me privately I might even tell them to you.
Again the committee is holding off the announcement of the scores until all have finished.
*****
No new link today- I am reposting the fourth and fifth days links because of the confusion. If you have already done them ignore it. If you don't want to do them ignore them. If you don't have the slightest idea what this is all about because you are new to this blog check out some of them .
In any case here are the leads day four list day five list.
Please remember to put Dr. John in the comment to get JCPOINTS.
Check your JCPOINTS HERE through Monday -Marathon not included.
The server that houses the lists was down for a bit. Everything should work now. If your list doesn't work then hit the refresh button.
It has been an interesting day so far. First the server containg the marathon lists went down. That didn't last too long but it was bothersome. Then mys sister called. Then we packed the prizes and Betty took them to the Post Office. We also packed up some sewing supplies for Cindy and got those out. Then I worked on counting the marathon hits. Now I am dizzy. I will finish the counting tomorrow once I close all the lists. Never again a week long marathon. Never again. Next time a one day mini-marathon on the first Wednesday of November.
Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

20 Comments:

Blogger Tina Dray said...

Lovely family tale Dr John

5:16 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Dr John
Day five links still not working?

5:21 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Those pictures remind me of my 2nd grandson especially the one where he is crying. My grandson cries like he owns the whole world. He's going on 2 months only.

5:21 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Great story----the photos are precious!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Wow. seeing the picture of Peter with the snake is a lot like the one I posted today of my son with the pumpkin

Are yous sure the fire did not burn a hole in his head? Just kidding.......

6:28 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

Ahhhh it makes me sad that Peters dog got a hole burned in it, but Im glad he wasnt burned. I love the baby pic where he is crying. Its so cute!

6:50 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

A repeat marathon? Let me just say --- llama llama llama llama llama llama duck!

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think your kids are lucky, period.

Mr. Twain has my vote for best story so far, but I hope it's a lie. I want to keep believing in dragons and white rabbits that wear sweaters.

7:19 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Love the pictures and the story, it's wonderful :)

8:56 AM  
Blogger High Power Rocketry said...

I thought it was a real dog at first, with a hole in it.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

What a nice story! I had allergies as a kid, no stuffed animals. My parents tried to fake me out with these plastic animals, I wasn't buying it.

10:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Loved the story of the stuffed animal. I remember when my mother tried to toss out my old nearly worn out stuffed dog. I was about 10, I think. I rescued it from the garbage can. I still have it nearly 50 yars later.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool dog...or was it hot dog...?

11:47 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

what a beautiful baby shot..how can anyone not love babies...Peter was such a sweet baby, ahh!

as you know we in this home, understand way too well how horrible it is to loose a favorite stuffie..i'm so sorry about the doggie catching fire and so happy he was able to go on to love the snake just as much as he did.

i think if all the kids in the world would be lucky enough to have you and Betty as their parents, the world as we know it, wouldn't exist..it would be a gentler, much more caring and loving world. don't you feel bad at all about the little ooops with the dog and fire. we all have made whoppers of mistakes, yours doesn't even qualify as one at all. remember back them, everyone was less careful about things than now..like putting candles in the Christmas tree as an example..it was just the way things were done back when..
************
i think Billy's lie is good. but i'm hoping that the dragon and rabbit are real. sorry Billy.
********************
Sandy has just been moved to the hospice. i spoke to her on saturday for the last time. everyday there is a huge drop. her sis and her husband are with her 24/7. that is whom i communicate with. Sandy said her goodbyes a couple of wks ago to her one daughter, and the other back even more. they both were to come back when she went into hospice but Sandy has decided now for a couple of days that she doesn't want them here to see her like this and to say good-bye again, she said it was way to hard on all of them..i don't understand any of it but really it is not my place. i do hope, however, that the kids are alright with all of this and they don't have any regrets..regrets are too heavy and too painful to carry. Sandy is now sleeping most of the time..still not in pain except that her bones are way to heavy on her and painful from not moving. she will be given meds in the hospice..=just wanted to share it with you.

take care and know i will be back tomorrow, God willing.

12:11 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Oh you poor thing..you sound exhausted.Hope you dont stay dizzy for too long.
Love the story,and you are fantastic parents:)
Take care

5:44 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

How precious! Loved the pics and sweet tale- and you know, I'm gonna have to come see that white rabbit sometime :0)

6:04 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Will Pigeon Falls get the snow they are predicting for the UP? Can you believe it, drifting snow in mid October!

6:41 PM  
Blogger B.R.L said...

Hey I finished a list but I know you are waiting for me. I did a Dr john's marathon

6:52 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

A Mini Marathon sounds great. You could keep up with it easier or simply the day after draw a three blogs out of the hat. Then the visitors to these blogs the day before get 50 bonus JC Points.

This way you don't have to go around counting them all up. Since your link list will keep growing from here on out. Just draw three out of the hat and go see who visited those three the day before. It will be purely a game based on effort and luck.

Call it the "Mini Marathon Linna Lotto"

7:19 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, I've had a great time in the marathon. I am sorry it was so hard on you.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home