Sunday, October 08, 2006

The last step in Grieving


Saying for the Day: It will be good but not the same .

This is the last Sunday that we will be listing the steps on grieving as described by Pastor Granger Westberg. These steps are:
1. Shock
2. Emotion
3. Depression
4. Physical pain
5. Fear or panic
6. Guilt
7. Anger
8. We function poorly
9. The breaking in of hope
10. The start of the new life
The good news is that the process comes to an end.
We finally pass from the old life to the new.
We learn to live the way things are now and to find joy in them.

This is not to say that things will be as they were before.
They won’t.
We won’t be the same as we were before

But things can be and will be good again.

The memories that hurt as the process began now more and more will bring us joy.
The new life will take on its own dimensions.
For the Christian the God that went through the
process with us. The God that upholds us, will be there to fill the new life with joy and peace.

This does not mean there is no joy after grief for the non Christian only that God adds to the new life of the Christian.
This I can say from my experience.
I can not tell you what is true outside of my experience but I suspect that people of other religions are also able to lean on their God during grief.

So if your grieving believe you will get through.

There will come a time again of joy and laughter.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where the trains still run and dragons fly.-Yesterday was the stuff legends are written out of. The catapults were set up in front of the bandstand on main street. The street was blocked off so that the pumpkins could be fired down the street. The first practice pumpkins had been launched with impressive results when suddenly flying up the end of the street came the dragon, flames spewing from his mouth. Harold Wren fired a pumpkin from his catapult right at the dragon. The dragon moved up then reached down and grabbed the pumpkin. Mrs. Trumble raised her shotgun but before she could fire the dragon let the pumpkin fall and it caught the end of Mrs. Trumble’s shotgun knocking it out of her hands and bursting on the sidewalk. There she stood covered with pumpkin pieces . The dragon turned and flew down the street. The men catapulted pumpkins at it but they were not very good shots and it disappeared around the church and out to the woods. The dragon was a better shot than the pumpkin throwers.
Fast forward to the evening street dance in front of the bandstand where the “Dragon Slayers with Teacups “ were playing. Suddenly both the White Rabbit and the dragon showed up. The dragon was carrying a pumpkin and heading right fore Mrs. Trumble who had pointed her shotgun at the White Rabbit. Suddenly she looked up and saw the dragon. She quickly raised the gun and just as the dragon left go of the pumpkin she fired. It hit the pumpkin dead on covering the fancerrs below eith pumpkin pieces. The dragon turned , the rabbit turned, and by the time Mrs. Trumble got her shotgun reloaded they were gone.
*****

Links for the Day: Fourth Marathon Fifth Link List-Remember to put the words Dr. John in your comments to get those roundish JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your totals , the fourth marathon not included. The fourth list will close at noon.
We had a great day with Pennie today. She was welcomed into the church she joined down there. It seems like a very nice church. As an added suprise my son Patrick and his sons showed up along with Curtis. He passed up tickets to a Packer game to be there for his sister. Do I have great kids or what? Well we are back in Crystal Falls .Read the comments and discovered the blog links wern't working . I have corrected the problem . If they still don't work hit the refesh button.Sorry. If I had been home I would have caught it. I will open the list again on Tuesday so everyone has a chance.I need a breathing teatment.
GBYA

21 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

good morning to you. hope you had a wonderful saturday, it sure sounds you like did.
it's hard to think of moving on at times but yes, laughter and joy can returned encircled with all the wonderful memories of the past.
************
i absolutely love today's story. whoo-hooo, forgive me for enjoying Mrs. Trouble troubles as much as i am but she has gotten away with so much and finally, she got a bit of her own medicine..;p

applause to the rabbit and dragon for working as a team and looking after each other..
**********************
i just try the new links for today and they weren't working...will check in the next bit to see if they are up. hope Betty's jaw is much better. love, hugs all around.

3:29 AM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

Hi Dr John, the message of Christ is quite simple: everything changes in the impermanent temporal world of matter.

Even Christ himself 'passed' thru life. And no he has not been sitting bored out of his skull on his throne for two thousand years.

He is in that place where there is no time, no suffering, no hatred, no anger, no pain, no sadness, no sorrow no decay, and no more death.

Just like humans with the Internet can be anywhere (in any home) on earth almost at the speed of light, Christ can be anywhere and everywhere. But he leaves us the message and gets on with his life.

God, Christ and angels seldom interfere in the world of humans. Demons on the other hand try to influence and rule the world of humans, but the beast is always subject to The Master. Earthly beast can overpower or maul earthly masters, but they cannot overpower The Light & The Heavenly Master. Only The Master overcomes death, and offers eternal life.

Have a Mighty Fine Day!

3:55 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I really am very sorry I wasn't able to do Marathon list #3. Blogger wasn't so good and I wasn't feeling very well too. Will try to catch up with four and five.

4:43 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I really indeed very sorry. I tried but couldn't open the Blog Marathon list four. Even the Marathon list five too. I think I'll have to pass this one. Maybe next time.
Thanks.

4:50 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

tYea for the dragon! Dragon for Mayor.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Hmmm... the teaming up the Rabbit and Dragon does not bode well for the town of Pidgeon Falls. I was glad to hear the rabbit survived his last encounter with Mrs. Trumble.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I finally felt better yesteerday about Maya....I know she was just a dog but I still miss her.

7:14 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Applause! Wonderful 10 week series Doc.

7:31 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

For those who need the links for List 5....

Dust on a Dusty Road
Under the Microscope
Mediations from the Messy Middle of Things
Just Me and My Creations
To Touch a Unicorn

Diary of a SAHM
Lost to Tommorrow
Shelli's Sentiments
Mouse Trails
The Geopolar Mother Experience

Little Orleans
Delineation Me
Quantum Leaps
One Foot on a Banana Peel
This S#%t Drives Me Crazy

Sunflower Optimism
Let's Move to the Moon

7:47 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Wow. This was exactly what I needed to hear today. I'm going through a rough patch right now, and the grief that I'm going through at the time I know is temporary with the Lord's help. Sometimes it just feels a bit longer...but with faith comes hope.

Thanks for this post!

7:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I got a comment on my blog about getting involved in the marathon. Been making my rounds since the first day. Along the way I did notice you were supposed to check in somehow, but everytime I got around to doing so-either my grandson needed something-like food-or the phone rang--or someone was at the door. dont worry I am right in the midst of it--and having a ball!

9:58 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Yes - it will be good, but different. Six years after my husband's death, I still grieve and miss him terribly, but I am far enough away now from the acute pain to recognize the grace of how his love continues to live in on me and in our children. The life I have is good -thanks be to God - but it there will always be a yearning in my for the life I had with Chris.
P.S. - Couldn't open the list either!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I so enjoyed your sessions on grief Dr John ... I looked forward to them every week, I wish I had had this when we were grieving for my Father, this would have helped. Thank You so much.

12:05 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I cant get any links on the list for marathon 5 to open!

12:10 PM  
Blogger to touch a unicorn said...

I have enjoyed reading the Ten Steps dr. john, wise and comforting words; wish hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Amazing story and what a great duo "Dragon & the White Rabbit", indeed, stuff of legends. Hail to the Duo!

Thanks for adding me to the Marathon Run dr. john. :)
Sandy

12:17 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

thank you to Margaret who posted the links.

and thank you to you for what you have done for us in the last few sundays. i need to go back to number 1 and read, and read again.

i'm done list 5...another one done.

12:26 PM  
Blogger QUASAR9 said...

" The best inheritance a parent can give to his children is a few minutes of his time each day." May your Saturday be filled with Joy!

Magical! Friday's Child
Hope your weekend was mighty fine too

12:45 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Close at noon on what day? I am confused.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Noon today? But I just got home from chuch.

1:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Life does indeed go on...and eventually we are ready to go on with it. Thanks for running a good series, Dr. J.

Man, I wish I had been in Pigeon Falls yesterday.

5:30 PM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

I got Day 5 done a little late... I think I may have napped along with the hare, and had to try to catch the tortoise as a result!

I've now typed the words "Dr. John" so many times that I'm starting to see dragons and flying pumpkins...

9:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home