Friday, October 06, 2006

A Better Telephone Company


Saying for the Day:Bigger is better.

There used to be a regional telephone company called SBC .
It merged and became a bigger SBC.
Then it and some other regional companies got together and became A T & T reborn.

Now we have this huge, wonderful, company that can do so much more for us than the little company ever could.
Isn’t that wonderful.

Of course when we had the little company our internet never went out.
If we had a problem we talked to somebody who we could understand ( as much as you can ever understand a technical person).

But it wasn’t big and it wasn’t wonderful.

Now with the big AT&T we have lost a full day on internet in two separate outages (we’ll have to pay the full charge though).
When I called the service department I got some lady in India whose English was hard to understand.
She had no idea what was wrong.
I tried to explain that I thought the problem was with AT&T but she was sure my line was good and my computer was bad.
She gave me the prepared script on what I should try.
I had already done all those things.
After much begging she put her supervisor on.
The supervisor , who spoke with the same accent said she would run a connectivity test.
She said the test showed that the line was good.
I asked if she was sure.
She said that she had a notice there was a problem in the Appleton area.
I’m not in the Appleton area.
Then she read further and discovered the entire UP was down.

Now with the old small company the service person would have been in the company office.
They would have been informed when the trouble began and been ready for the calls.

But the bigger and better company can’t operate like that.
The lady in India said that the net would be back up at 3:30 in the afternoon.
It came back after midnight.
I called the operator at 5:00 and asked if she could tell me when the internet service would be restored.

She said no.

That wasn’t her department.
Then she said she would transfer me to repairs.
A voice came on which said repairs can’t be reached at this time.

I am so glad we have this bigger and better phone company.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard where the train still runs and old ladies hunt rabbits-The problem with the Liar’s club contest is that these people tell such good stories with such sincerity that some people believe them. Since Smythe told his story people have been hiking around the local woods hoping to find the government installation that the rabbit came from. Some of the farmers said that people stopped and were peering into their barns. One guy even asked Bill Maki if this was the place. Bill said it was but to get to the laboratory you had to push the cow stall to the side and go down the stairs but he couldn’t let them do that. A number of tourists snuck in and tried to move the stall only to be kicked by Bossy who didn’t want her stall moved. Bill only laughed. Some of the other farmers put up signs saying “ Visitors Not Welcome Dangerous Bull loose in barn”. That seemed to work.
Everybody is waiting to see if the dragon will show up at the Pumpkin Festival. Mrs. Trumble says that she got the rabbit and now she is going to get the dragon. One of the farmers that built a catapult says that he has special anti-dragon pumpkins and if it shows up he’s going to get a dragon. One doesn’t know if one should cheer for the pumpkin throwers, Mrs. Trumble, or the dragon. Nancy says she’s for the dragon but don’t tell Mrs. Trumble because she drinks lots of coffee at Nancy’s.
The White Rabbit contest has been extended into next week so that everybody that wants to tell a story can.
*****

Today’s link-Marathon List Three– Remember to leave the words Dr. John in your comments to get those lovable JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your JCPOINT totals excluding the fourth Marathon points. I have finished tallying the visits for the second day. There were seven people who visited all 17 blogs. There were 26 peopel who visited all together. Betty went up to the insurance office and now is packing the car for our trip. My sister Dawn called to see if we got the loan but it is too early to tell that.

22 Comments:

Blogger Tina Dray said...

this blog marathon sure is hard work but i'll keep trying!

4:14 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

You have my sympathies re the phone company, we still have a little one, which is better most of the time, but because they have a monopoly, we have no choice over internet provider etc.
I notice wifey's been on, I hope she's done the housework!

4:29 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

For awhile there, we were having the cable guy come out once a week for two months.

Did you read that frankenbunny link I sent yesterday?

4:40 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Ugh, same problem here. Time Warner, which was a little company on Main Street, became TIME WARNER. Everything is now all my fault.
I'm worried about the rabbit.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

isnt it rediculous....they say everything is better, more efficient and all that. I think everything is a mess. Theres no persanl touches anymore.. these people could care less if our phone is out for 3 weeks!it is very aggravating.

5:26 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

You are scaring me. I also had SBC and now I have AT&T. So far I haven't had any outages, but if I do I may end up going to cable. It would run a lot faster. Right now I am only running at 300 KBS. Which is good, but not really enough to do video streaming.

Hope you have a nice, outage free weekend.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't make comments on such areas as phone and internet companies. The last time I started to think about this issue I ended up having to up my medications. Not really-but it sure is the most aggravating thing we have to deal with in modern day living. Along with your rabbit problem, of course.

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I have the EXACT same problem with them! I'm loosing my mind! If I call them, not only am I on the phone with their computer for what feels like HOURS, but then when a human finally gets on the line--
I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THEM EITHER!!!

Oh, Thank G-d they did all that merging! :o

I luv the halloween Bear-Adorable!
;]

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you just "love" bigger and better? We just got a letter from our cable company telling us that as of today they are switching over to the other large cable company in the area....to better serve my needs. Hmmmm. I didn't know I had any needs in need of being served. And I just bet this is going to cost me.

Go, Dragon, Go! Personally, I think it would be awesome if he showed up while the pumpkins are flying and incinerated them in the air. What a show that would be.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Dr. John, I recently had a miserable experience with my cell phone company. Good customer service is my #1 want - why don't they understand this?

Also, I don't have time to do the marathon justice; especially with junior coming home from college for a week and hubby taking a few days off. No time to explore the various blogs and I don't really want to rush in sign in and run out.

I've checked out a few and you really have some great blogs picked out for us. I appreciate the time you have taken to find them all. After the marathon, would you consider listing them all somewhere, so I, for one, can explore a couple a day? Many thanks!

7:59 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Hey doc!

I used to work for a telecommunications company. It was considered more of a ‘baby bell’. (A local phone company.) Then they decided to go with internet…then DSL lines…and then they merged with a major company who bought them out. We were excited, because this meant our stocks went up, and we were getting ‘bigger’ with more knowledge and training. Well, once they took over, they opened up more branches…which means, they hired people right out of school and paid them less…..which meant….our hard earned checks got smaller, or we could “resign”.

They started opening up call centers around the globe. People would call me for technical support or just plain ole customer service, and say, “I just got off with someone who didn’t know a lick of English!!! Where the hell am I calling now and WHY do you have a New York accent?” I tried explaining to the guy who lived down in Mississippi that we have call centers all over now, that he had to understand we can all help him. (In actuality it was more frustrating.) He could barely understand ME talk!

Anyway, the bigger the company doesn’t necessarily mean ‘better’. I found out the hard way…and soon got laid off from the job due to cut backs and other call centers paying less for LESS quality reps.

Baby bells. Much better!

*Steps off stage and heads out*

8:50 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Amen to "bigger as better" - for whom? Certainly not the consumers!

9:05 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I guess all the jobs in the US, well computer tech jobs are now in India. That is where they sent my husbands HEwlett Packard tech support job. The only problem is, they can't understand us, and we can't understand them. But I guess the big companies aren't really concerned about support that much.

10:36 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

bigger is not better..companies that are out to make as much money as they can and don't care about their customers suck.
i'm sorry that they don't give you even credit for when their service is down..at least here, Shaw does that. to be honest Shaw is a pretty descent company..
*********
i can just imagine the fun everyone is having with the hunt..lol. better they find it than Mrs. Trouble.
*****************
i'm sorry to read that Betty has a jaw infection. glad she wasn't in pain and is now being treated for it. pls let her know i send her hugs and kisses and hopes that it all settles soon. hope you are well too. i have done today's portion of the marathon..3 days down and ready for tomorrows. take care.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

There are few things in this world more maddening than Tech Support... Both for the customer AND the tech!

(I've had the misfortune of playing both roles...)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Thanks for putting me on the blog marathon, Dr. John! If I'd have known I was having company, I'd have put more tea on!

11:58 AM  
Blogger Jackie's Garden said...

I loved your 'bigger is better' rant! How true. I TRY to have patience when I'm talking to customer service in India...I know they are just trying to earn a living too, but soooooo frustrating to not be understood, or to be able to understand. Thanks for the chuckle!

4:49 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Comcast Internet isn't much better. You do get a local English speaking person - but they are just as clueless. Hang in there.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

Preach on! I'm telling you, I now work for Sprint. I deal with cell phones only, but it's enough. We're way too big, and it's just insane the way things are with the service. I truly feel for ya!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I love my cable and my Cox technician is right here in town. If they can't help me over the phone in just three short weeks they can have someone at the house ....

8:45 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

pant, pant, pant Dr. John sent me. splat

11:05 PM  
Blogger Puss-in-Boots said...

Hi Dr John, I've come over from Pea's.

I can totally emphathise with you about being re-routed to Delhi or Mumbai or wherever when you ring a help or complaint line. I have lost a lot of hair (through tearing it out) over trying to get some sense out of whoever I have the misfortune to talk to. Aaaarrrrgh!!

Anyway, read about your marathon and Liars' Club, with great hilarity. My mind isn't agile enough to think quickly like that, but I'm sure it only takes practice. I'll practice on the bank manager and see what I can come up with! Hehe

Cheers

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home