Thursday, September 28, 2006

Our camp

Saying for the Day:No matter what you do it's wrong.

Soon after Peter was born Betty went back to work as a teacher.
We decided to buy a camp.
Our own place to go on vacation.
A nice place on a lake. We found a place on Chaney lake near Wakefield , Michigan.
It was about sixty miles away from where we lived.
It had two separate buildings and nice lake frontage.
We bought the camp during a long dry summer.
We painted and repaired and I even got sun stroke putting on some roofing.
It was our hideaway.
There was no phone.
The parish couldn’t call and tell me that somebody died and I need to come right back.
It belonged to us.
The following spring we drove out to the camp just after the snow melted.
As we drove into the yard we discovered that something was very different.
We sank on the road until we were stuck.
It seems that after a wet winter you couldn’t drive in.
I had to hitchhike into town to get a tow truck to pull us out of the mud.
That wasn’t the only shock.
Somebody had come through on a snowmobile during the winter and shot out all the windows.
They also broke bottles so there was glass all over the beach.
That’s when we decided that we weren’t cut out to have a camp.
We sold it and bought a travel trailer.
The price lake front property is going for now,if we had held onto it we could have made a lot of money.
But we really enjoyed the travel trailer.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my backyard where the trains still run and where nobody wants to be Mayor– Nancy says that nobody is happy with the results of the School Board action on the school name. People don’t want to wait. They want it changed now. There is some talk about recalling the School Board and electing new people. That doesn’t seem likely when you can’t even find somebody to run for Mayor. One might be able to recall them but electing somebody else that’s another question.
Mrs. Moris celebrated her 80th birthday yesterday. They held the celebration over at Last Lutheran Church. All of her children and grandchildren came home. It was quite a party. The ladies from the church did the serving . They had a big cake and ice cream. Pastor Marvel said that he had figured out that in all the years she catered meals in the town she had served over ten thousand meals. Nor only that but as far as he could tell there was never a complaint about the food. He also said he couldn’t remember a Sunday when she was sitting in church, third row back on the left hand side. Her kids wanted to give her a trip to Las Vegas but she said there was no way they were getting her on a plane.
Dr. Fortress is till trying to move a piece of a mountain so the train can get through . The poor people who run the restaurant where the train used to stop now have no business except for the workers and some of them bring their lunch. This was the time of year that tourists took the upper route to see the beauty of the forest from above and the restaurant had lots of business. Life doesn’t always seem to treat us fairly.
*****

Today's Link: The Grubby Halo- Please remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get those fishy JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your total.
Neither Betty or I left the fortress today. I should go and get a hair cut. My sister called to tell me she got the blog print out and read it. She commented again on how we lived in different worlds growing up. She knew the name of the baby my mother was holding in the picture I posted. I started work on th enext Marathon which will start Wednesday. It will be different than the last three. It will run for seven days. You will need to comment on seventy blogs to complete it. There will be a different list of fifteen each day. So you can make the 70 without doing all seven days. We wills see how it works. I am also working on an auction where you can bid your usless JCPOINTs on usless objects. Apria called to tell me that they don't have the night breathing mask they promised me yesterday after all. I have come to depend on Apria to be confused and have found a place to buy it on my own if I have to. the only thing that is stopping me is I would need a letter from my doctor to the company since it is medical device. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

17 Comments:

Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

"Life doesn't seem to treat us fairly" - as your camp story proves! You are a more adventurous soul than I - I want my phone and internet connection when away from home!

4:39 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

What? No computer hook-up? THat is just not right.....(I am speaking for your son).

6:15 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

You must have seen Mr Blandings Builds His Dream House when you decided to sell the camp.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That would be very hard for me if there was no netHe!He!He!
Wish you well

6:47 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

the camp sounds lovely but not it's down side. i'm glad you were able to enjoy your travel trailer instead. they do have a few positives. a home on wheel is very convenient and the freedom it provides must be awesome.
Betty must have had the luckiest of students. her gentle, wise but down to earth ways, i'm sure made her the best of teachers.
******************
If everyone is so unhappy with the name of the team, i can see the uproar for they don't want to wait.
Happy bday to Mrs. Moris. sounds like the party was a hoot. i hope Dr. Fortress is able to finish all these construction soon for many reasons. one being the restaurant. i hope they don't go under.
*************************
i know what you mean about the same event being remember in different ways by different people. it happens in my life often. i wish you both a wonderful day. take care. love and hugs around. read you tomorrow God willing.

6:48 AM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

I don't know how, exactly, but I know that I will own a nice RV at some point in my life. To be able to just "hit the open road" has always been an attractive thought for me.

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for linking to me today!

7:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the beach, but think I would have gone with the travel trailer, too. You could get away to a new place each time and that way the congregation would never know where you were!

8:46 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Travel trailers are cool! New people to talk to every night.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

we also had a cabin when we all lived at home ( we still have it) My Father loved it because there was no phone and he couldnt get business calls, I hated it because there was no phone and I couldnt talk to my boyfriends! lol

2:06 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

What a lovely little camp it was:)
We used to have a place like that at the beach when we were kids and spent 12 weeks a yr there.
It cost my parents 2000 and was sold 40 yrs later for 1 mill..
we loved having no ph and only ate fish we caught and cooked.
I love the simple life.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

My Dad had some land in Maine and had the same thing happen but not only did the windows get shot out, the cabin got broken into and someone tore it all up inside. He sold his "getaway" too.
I see you visited today and started out on my Letchworth State Park virtual tour. Today's post is up and we have climbed to the top of the trail and are standing just above the Upper Falls. Tomorrow we hike back down and go to the Middle Falls.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, I have a CPAP machine and it changed my life. For a couple of years I was afraid to drive because I couldn't stay awake. I remember telling the Doctor, "I can't sleep, but that doesn't make sense because I can't stay awake, either." Then he to0ld me it made perfect sense and ordered a sleep test. I have severe apnea.

6:00 PM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

It's not so much that you weren’t cut out to have a camp as much as that some people have no respect for anything. The mud you could always work out - but to have someone wreck your home. Just plain mean.

I'm sorry you are having problems with your breathing. My MIL is on oxygen 24/7. It is a scary and difficult thing to deal with. Be well.

6:18 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

The trailer sounds wonderful! You know, looking back it is great to say "I did that" or "I bought that" than to have never have taken the chance. I'm finding that is the case more and more everyday.

Hey Doc, not to be nosy or nuttin' but I am sometimes. What's the breathing treatments for?

7:02 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

At least it happened when you and you family weren't there. So was the travel trailer a better trade?

7:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No phone can only be a good thing, and I could sure use an Internet break! I'd have to take my camera, though -- some modern conveniences, I'm not willing to do without!

*

Have you ever shopped for your medical equipment on eBay? I bought a brand new nebulizer there last summer for $30, and have saved a fortune over the last five years buying all my nebulizer supplies and accessories from eBay vendors. I have no medical insurance so, for me, this is the way to go. With insurance or Medicare, you can probably get better prices in the 'real world'.

Stay well, Doc!

2:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home