Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The parsonage battle

Saying for the Day: Never make threats you can't carry out.

I started this thread several weeks ago as stories from the parsonage.
What it has turned into is not so much stories from the parsonage as stories about parsonages.

After we had been in the parish about three months the parish board decided we needed a new parsonage.
I did not request one or complain about the one they had but they knew the condition it was in . The people in the Trout Creek Church were against the new parsonage because they wanted the parsonage to stay in Trout Creek and the new one was to be built in Ewen , behind the church.
But the Ewen Church paid the larger share of the parish bills so Trout Creek gave in.

At the same time there was a vote on school consolidation and an anonymous pamphlet was sent to every home the day before filled with half truths.
The consolidation lost.
I denounced the way in which the pamphlet was done in the parish newsletter .
It seems that some of those involved were member of the Ewen congregation.

They wanted our input on the new parsonage and I told them that since Betty was pregnant we would like the space they had marked off for a half a bath set up as a laundry room instead.
They seemed to agree to this but that night one of the people that had sent out the pamphlet went into the new building and pushed a hall closet into part of the space.
This did not leave enough room for a laundry room but only a half a bath.
There was no closet in the plans.

When I saw what they had done I made the strangest threat in the history of the parish.
I threatened not to move until there was an upstairs laundry room.
I would stay in the Trout Creek parsonage.
The people in Trout Creek had no objection.
The Ewen congregation would have an empty parsonage.

Two days later they discovered they could push into the garage and create a space for a washer and dryer across from the new closet.
It worked out fine and we moved in as soon as the building was finished.

I know of pastors who threatened to move if they didn’t get what they wanted but I’m the only one I know of that threatened not to move.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where the trains still run and little old ladies hunt rabbits.-The rabbit for Mayor sweaters are in at wink’s and Tommy bought one of the first ones. He is wearing it proudly. People are becoming a bit afraid that they might end up with a 2 1/2 foot rabbit as Mayor. Perhaps Mrs. Trumble will run some negative adds. Not that she wants to be Mayor but she certainly doesn’t want a demon to be in the office. Its enough to have demons in state and national offices without having the local mayor be one as well.
Nancy says some people have suggested Big Rudy for Mayor. He has reformed and doing so many good things. Big Rudy says he can’t because his wife doesn’t want him too. The poor guy only does what his wife tells him too.
Nancy says that everybody that has stopped in for coffee is planning on going to the school board meeting tonight. They all have ideas as to names for the school teams. Nobody seems to like “New Potatoes”. Nancy has heard “Wolves, Dragons, Green Dragons, Bears, Trojans, Knights, and Thorns” as possible names. She is glad she isn’t on the school board.
The White Rabbit continues to be seen in his new red ,white and blue sweater carrying his Mayor sign. He hasn’t started coming in to town and kissing babies yet. But he has been seen a lot. Mrs. Trumble seems to have given up trying to catch up with him. Nobody has seen her all day. Of course she could be hiding somewhere waiting to jump out and shoot the rabbit. That thought makes everybody nervous.
****

Link for the Day: Procrastination At It's Best- Remember to leave the words Dr. John in your comment to get those never ready JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your totals.
I spent part of the day working on a new top ten list for the church web site. Betty washed the litchen floor and brought the stuff to recycle up to the pick up place. I just checked in and my link for the day has changed material since I looked this morning. The new entry might be upsetting to some. This linking stuff has its problems. My sister Dawn called to see if we had sold the house. We , of course, have not. Don't ask me why ask the real estate agent. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

19 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

An upstairs laundry room. Now that would be nice.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Rabbit for mayor. Could happen.
http://www.nkyvillage.com/mayor_junior.htm

5:37 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Seems like the location of the laundry room has been an issue in your family a lot.

5:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can just picture this "chess game" you had to play.

All's well that ends well???

I'll be tuning in to see what the team's names will be ...

5:57 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Way to stand your ground Dr. John! I've lived many places and can vouch for the fact that I've never heard of someone refusing to move IN.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i'm sorry that some people yuckier side won back in the day. i'm glad that they respected and wanted you enough that they 'found' a way to make it work.
i know how hard it is to do stairs, numerous up and down, with a heavy basket when you are pregnant. it is also dangerous, falling is more of a danger, and the back, oh my!
***********
i vote for the rabbit. why not? he is friendly, likes to wave, shock/surprise and is entertaining.
i also vote to remove the gun permit from Mrs. Trouble. she has a good heart i'm sure but a slippery trigger finger.
Big Rudy is a nice guy. He surely has turned his life around, he would make a great mayor but i guess after so long that his family didn't have him around, she doesn't want him gone.
i like the dragons name for the team. seems fitting.
************************
you have a wonderful family. what a great thing to have Lori amongst the clan. i hope you all have a wonderful day. i hope Betty is not too tired, she works so hard always. my love and hugs all around. take care and read you tomorrow.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Upstairs or Downstairs, I just have to have a laundry area somewhere. I dredd laundramatts. =O)

6:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hard to believe anyone could be that underhanded. Way to stand your ground, Dr. J!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

I've seen the ugliness of church politics up close on a few occasions myself... Most notably the time I was serving as a Summer Intern Pastor and the congregation practically ran the pastor out of town, leaving me to fulfill his duties for the remainder of my time there! Talk about trial by fire! I survived, though... Glad to see you did as well!

I saw your link for the day... I'll try to get around to it at some point... ;)

7:53 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

Thanks for the visit Dr.John. a laundry room would be super some where to hang your smalls without them been seen and to be able to leave the ironing board out as a reminder it needs doing.

7:55 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

You have had a parsonage with an upstairs laundry room? I am switching denominations immediately!

12:17 PM  
Blogger Christopher said...

That's a unique threat. I'm glad it worked out.
Peace,
Chris

1:47 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

"Super Spuds" , "Dic'taters'", "Tater Heads", JV team could be called "Tater Tots" or "Chips" or if you are going for names that honor the white rabbit- " The Thumpers".
Or, to honor the dragon, "The Firebeathers" or perhaps the "The Flying Firebreathers"

3:35 PM  
Blogger David said...

A great post. As ever. Thanks for sharing.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

Who would do such a mean thing? To a pastor, no less! Aren't there "burn in hell forever" consequences for that sort of thing? I'm glad it worked out and you didn't have to make good on your threat to NOT move into a larger, brand new house.

Whoever dreamed up "New Potatoes" should be mashed (or diced.) Could they not think ahead more than 5 minutes, to see what was coming with a name like that? I don't have any alternate recommendation, since I'm new here, so don't know much of the town background yet - except for a white rabbit in mortal danger and a looming election with no one to run. Kat's enthusiasm about Dr. John is what sent me over :-)

Oh - and I did go to the "Link of the Day." I commented, but the topic was so horrific that I couldn't bring myself to mention Dr. John. Something light and fun like a contest just seemed too inappropriate in the face of this tragedy. So no points for me. Maybe tomorrow.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

What a tedious and spiteful person that was! Installing the closet only compounded the pettiness!

6:19 PM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I tried to post on rhe link but I do not think I got through....sorry!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

haha...good for you Dr John!!! I dont blame ya!!!

8:58 PM  
Blogger fennymun said...

Hi Dr John, I like the saying of the day: Never make threats you can't carry out. It reminds me not to "threaten" my kids if i can't carry out what I say.

10:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home