Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Religion isn't all bad

Saying for the Day: You have to be blind on purpose not to see the good that organised religion does.

As I read blogs I keep coming across blogs that are very anti-Christian .
They delight in lifting up every bad thing or stupid thing that christians or religious people do. According to these blogs the world would be a far better place if all religious people were removed from the planet since all bad things come from religion.
Without us there would be no wars, no poor, no pollution etc.

Now it certainly true that there are people who claim to follow Christ that are evil.
They are in the KKK and other hate groups.
It is not hard to find them and point a finger at them.

My problem is that these anti-Christian people pay no attention to the good that people do in the name of Jesus.
Last Sunday in the church I attend all of the front pews were covered with quilts the ladies made that are going to an agency that will distribute them to people who need them.
They will be given after natural disasters, and to people in need around the world.
The ladies who made them will never get any money or even a thank you.
But because of them and thousands like them the world will be a better place.

At the same service one of the church members got up and talked about a Crop walk for hunger.
Three people didn’t hesitate to volunteer to take part as walkers and others indicated they would be happy to sponsor the walk.
Last year it raised $4000 and $ 1000 of it went to a local food bank.

Every year my church raises thousands of dollars for World Hunger because these Christian people care.
Multiply that by thousands of Christian congregations and try to see the impact they are having in this world.

In addition I don’t think you can find a group fighting for human rights, to feed the poor, to end pollution that doesn’t contain pastor, priests and active church members.
That too has its impact.

Organized religion has its faults and its failures but it also has an impact for good.
One has to be blinded by hatred for religion not to see that.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where the trains still run and old ladies hunt rabbits out of season.-Mrs. Trumble got herself a small game license yesterday. A small game license entitles you to hunt rabbit, hare, squirrel, pheasant, ruffed grouse, woodcock, quail, woodchuck, crow, skunk, and coyote .Rabbit season starts on September 15 and runs until March 31. Mrs. Trumble says there is no limit in the law as to the size of the rabbit. Now she is legal.One always knew that she was a law abiding person.
Pigeon Falls has had an influx of workers that have come to work on the mountain project at Crippled Creek. These are not the type of men that drink tea and eat saffron buns so they won’t be hanging out at Nancy’s. But you can bet the Fly Inn Bar will be doing good business. On the other hand Big Rudy stops in at Nancy’s for a cup of tea almost every day. He says that since he quit drinking he has developed a real taste for tea and saffron buns. He and his wife sit down to tea every afternoon when he gets his chores done. He said he never knew what he was missing.
Pigeons don’t fly south for the winter but some of pigeon Fall’s pigeons have gone somewhere . The one’s that are left aren’t nearly as messy.
Eino hasn’t heard from Homeland security about the rock man. They promised to get back to him and he wishes they would hurry.
The White Rabbit continues to act as if it wasn’t rabbit season. He has been seen all over the area. Even some of the men working on the mountain saw it. At first they thought they had had too much to drink. You don’t see a 2 1/2 foot rabbit every day, you know. Particularly one that smiles and waves at you. Mrs. Trumble says she is going to catch up with it and then kaboom, no more rabbit.
We haven’t seen the dragon since Mrs. Trumble shot him. It is possible she really did get rid of him.
The school kids have now nicknamed Mrs. Trumble , “Terrible Trumble”. Eino thinks Tommy put them up to it.
*****

Today's Link-Meditations from the Messy Middle of Things-Remember to leave the name Dr. John in the comment to get 5 politically correct JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your total.
You may have noticed what looks like a dragon flying near the Fortress. It isn't a dragon . Its a UP mosquito.
Betty went to Tops. Then she painted some more outside windows. The police man that wants to buy our pool shell stopped in but he didn't have the money with him so he is coming back again later. I began printing out the August blogs to send to Dawn.
Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

17 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Churches are one of the few places where you can expect 100% of your giving to actually go to the cause.

4:14 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

A historian by early training, I certainly know of the evil things done in the name of faith, but you are absolutely right about the good organized religion does as well. The world will never know or accept the difference small acts of faithfulness makes - quilts for victims of natural disasters, the meals served in soup kitchens, the visitors who sit in the hospital with a sick child, etc. People of faith are allowed to claim the good as well as the bad. Thanks for your post.
Blessings,
Kate_

4:39 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

no organized group like a religion can be perfect or is, as they are ran by men and men is not perfect.

i don't think getting rid of any religion would make positive changes in this world. what we need is to change our hearts and minds to love one another and respect each other. much too often we forget how much we could accomplish just then.
***************
Tommy isn't the only one that thought that Mrs. Trumble or Trouble is that, trouble...whether she gets a license or not, she should still not be allowed to carry a shotgun and shoot it into a crowd. someone besides the rabbit and dragon could have gotten hurt.

i'm glad Dr. Fortress has brought in some help. they will certainly aid in making sure things get done in time. the rabbit must have had a great time with the worker...poor worker, he must have thought he definetely drank too much.

New Rudy is most certainly a changed man. Tea is a wonderful drink, but i bet you not always did many believe he prefer it over the alcoholic ones.

Where did the pigeon's go? did they kill so many that the rest where too scared to stay?
******************
Beautiful post today Dr. John. i think the world needs a bit more of alot of things and much less of some others. i am grateful to know you, and thank you for bringing into our homes love and friendship. you are changing the world. your way is love. we love you. hope your are well. take care and read you tomorrow.

5:50 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I agree that religion isn't all bad and that religious groups do indeed accomplish a lot of good in the world. But, it's the other side of the coin that gives outsiders a bad taste in their mouths. When the focus is on God and doing His work all is right. It's when the focus shifts to "I" and "me" or "us" that it goes wrong.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

I've been on both sides of the religious coin at different times of my life, and I'm still not sure what the answer is. Chana is right, though... It's Man that brings his imperfection into every endeavor.

I also agree with Rev Dr. Kate. It is said that it takes 10 compliments to erase just 1 insult, and I think that can aptly be applied to the rights and wrongs committed in the name of faith as well.

6:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. John!!
I am sorry I haven't stopped by lately. But, I must say the main reason I stopped by was not to read your blog...although I did and completely agree that Christians don't get the recognition they should...thankfully Christians do NOT do it or the recognition!!! I thank the Churches who help provide for the communities and pray for the KKK!!!
Anyway...my main reason of coming was to pass a link to you!!! This has really touched my heart. I thank God for letting me keep Alyssa everyday, some more than others...lol!! But, I have not been able to stop thinking about this baby named Emmie-Rose and her parents. I was hoping you could post the link and everyone can read their story and post their condolinces!!
Thanks!
Honey
Here it is: http://23weeks.blogspot.com
Also, my email is jaae654@yahoo.com

6:34 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

That thing about the quilts is such a good thing.. I'm planning on doing that for my church next year.. but with scarves and crocheted and knitted stuff.. like blankets and baby things..

The only reason that I'm waiting for next year is that I'm going to spend the rest of this year.. and half of next year.. crocheting as much as I can..

Then.. maybe mid-year.. invite the church to either donate yarn.. or make stuff themselves too..

Pray for me that I can actually get it organized enough.. i just never seem to have enough time on my hands!

7:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't hate organized religion, but I'd have to say that these days I'm very cautious about it. I've been a church leader, involved up to my eyeballs, so I am aware of the good. Having been badly hurt by the same congregation I served, I'm also painfully aware of the bad Christians are capable of. I'm guessing most people with no use for the church in any of its many forms have been burned by a church/church member or failed by the same when they were in need.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

It is very difficult Dr. John. Religion can feel obtrusive and convicting to many - and when people feel guilty they tend to get angry at that which made them feel so guilty. I like John 8:9 for this situation. The Lord or religion may make a statement but it is by "their own conscience" people are convicted. I could go on, but don't want to write a sermon. =O) You are right, there is good that can come from religion. I'm not Islamic - but I can see "good" come out and from within those who follow this religion. It is not all bad, violent or extreme.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

It so easy for people to set at home and critisize rather than attend and try to make things better. No Church is perfect, just like no person is perfect, but we try to be better. And I think thats all Jesus asks of us...to try.All I know is when I walk in my Church a warm, enveloping, and loving feeling comes over me..there are many people in my Church who are not perfect, me being one of them, but I think as long as we try to follow the 10 commandments and continue to love each other goodness will follow.

8:44 AM  
Blogger Ginamonster said...

Once upon a time, I was a bit of a basher. Or at least, in the best of times, a giggler.

Now that I (hope I) have grown a slighlty more worldly view, I can see how important the community of the Christian church is to the health of the world. While you don't have to be Christian to do good things, it seems as if that religion, and perhaps it is because there are so many of you, comes together a lot for the good of humanity. Even in small ways. I doubt the ladies in your church marked those quilts as only for Chrisitans, they gave freely out of the godness of thier hearts to those in need. And that, I believe is one of the true messages of Christ. To love your fellow man without restriction.

Church allows people to come together under the most important of causes and spend time together in a positive manner, something that is severely lacking in our whirlwind busy world.

The path to God is personal. It is unfair to mock someone for choosing a different path than you. You may not agree with them, but that doesn't make them wrong. I can only hope that I have grown beyond my need to criticise and that mine is not one of the blogs you mentioned. And if it is, I must be due for another attitude adjustment.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Whether religion or anything else wholesome and worthwhile, those that are bashing it are usually the ones that have never experienced it. That's what frustrates me.

2:19 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Fabulous post! I could not have said it more eloquently. Good for you! **standing ovation**

3:24 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

I could do with a quilt made by the lovely ladies:)
All religions have an element of negativity involved.And there are so many good kind ppl in all religions too.
I know kind Buddists,warm muslims and commited dedicated Christians.
Theres is love amongst all Gods ppl.

3:40 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

You are SO RIGHT. Sure, there are a lot of things wrong with the "Christian Church", but there are so many things that are right. As a whole, we do so many good things for ALL of God's people- regardless of whether or not they choose to know him. I pray for BBC, and all who are denying Christ nightly. I just think to myself, how miserable it must be to have so much hate in anger in your life. I'm truly thankful I know, and have Jesus in my life.

6:12 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I am a Catholic and I respect other religions. What they say against religion is their own belief. I believe that if people have strong faith in whatever religion they have, no evil word can destroy their own beliefs.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

There is none so blind as he who will not see.

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home