Thursday, September 14, 2006

I remember playing

Saying for the Day: The things you do today are the memories you have tomorrow.
The other day I got an E-mail from a friend named Ralph. In part it said
"Close your eyes...And go back.......Before the Internet or PC or the MAC……..Before Playstation, SEGA, Super Nintendo, even before Atari.......Before cell phones, CD's, DVD's, voicemail and e-mail........way back......way.....way.....way back.....

* I'm talkin' bout hide and seek at dusk
* Red light, Green light
* Red Rover....Red Rover.....
* Playing kickball & dodgeball until the first...no...second...no...third streetlight came on
* Ring around the Rosie
* London l Bridge
* Hot potato
* Hop Scotch
* Jump rope
* Duck....duck....GOOSE!!!
* YOU'RE IT!!"

Then my sister stopped in and we remembered playing a game with my mom and dad that had a can, a bat, and a ball. If the can got knocked down that was an out. We spent many evenings playing that game. The pictures are of some of the cousins we played with. The first picture has me, my sister Dawn, and my cousin Carol. The second has my cousin Edward, Me,My Cousin Ann, and Dawn.Then there were the neighborhood kids, Pogi, Stetson, Reveloe, and Pepin. So much fun all outdoors .

I am glad I grew up then.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where the trains still run and little old ladies are pretty smart– Fredrick Olson III left today for the war in Iraq. His parents, are staunch Republicans, but are opposed to the war. But they are still proud of him. They are so afraid they won’t see him again. Pigeon Falls has been lucky so far and hasn’t lost anybody in the war. It has three young men that are serving in the military.
Tom Johanson and Michael Bispola got in a fight over at the Fly Inn Tavern last night. Tom thinks we should pull out of Iraq and was saying so in no uncertain terms along with calling the President a few choice names. Michael took it for as long as he could and then hit him in the mouth and then they really went to it. They used to be such good friends. War has a way of dividing people.
Pigeon Falls is a strange town indeed. Not only do we have the White Rabbit and the dragon but last night a deer chased a dog down the main street. It was a pretty good sized dog too.
Nancy said something seems to get into people as the Fall weather cycle begins and whatever it is isn’t good. People are crabbier and tend to react quicker. Even the animals seem to be effected. She says it will pass and one has to hope we all survive until it does.
The White Rabbit was seen again last night . Mrs. Trumble wasn’t around to shoot it as she went shopping in Iron Mountain. The Rabbit seemed to have an even bigger smile than usual.
Eino is rethinking the entire thing based on suggestions from a couple of blogging friends that he shared the problem with.
****

Today's link: decamel.net
-Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get those back to school JCPOINTS. Check your points HERE.
Betty went to get her hair done this morning. I finished the certificates for Catch, Margaret, and Chana. Now I am caught up until Monday's drawing. In the afternoon Betty calked windows and I worked( played) with the outside layout. I put in some new track and redid some wiring. The trains on the Pigeon Falls end of the layout are now running very well. Two people stopped and enjoyed the train. A lady had stopped in the morning. Well I need a breathing teatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Eino has a blog?

4:33 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Hey...I am glad you grew up!

(Part of you did, there is stilll the kid that likes to play which is good).

5:14 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

If only we could go back to simpler times, then again - I should be careful what I wish for. Often I am sad, because our daughter won't be able to do many of the things we were able to do. It is such a dangerous world out there.

5:40 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Without reading your post, I agree 100% with your title.
Thanks for visiting.

5:46 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh i love those pictures. my, you have always been such a cutie.
when i was growing up in Nicaragua, i had the time playing with my buddies. when i lived with my parents in Managua, i would just get my bike out and ride it in our piece of the community. it was safe, all the kids did it. i never went far mind you but i could spend my days in our cul de sac playing Jacks or skipping rope or just running i loved to just run around. in Boaco, when i lived with my great-grandparents, it was even better.. i would just take off for hours, the town was small, everyone knew me, they all loved me and looked after me, i did it all..played until my body gave out and then started next morning..oh i have such wonderful memories of that...when i had my car accident and i realized i had lost much of my memories i prayed to God so bad that i could still remember Boaco...i do, i'm happy.

i wish my kids could have 1% of the freedom i did. it was so nice..
***************
Eino: i can't wait to hear what your thinking. oh, the suspence!
i'm sorry that people are fighting over anything. maybe what worked for Ruby can be used to help people's emotions again. he stop punching people too.
i hope peace comes to the hearts of us all. after all Christmas is coming.
********************
i hope you both have a great day. take care and read you tomorrow.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

I think the only thing you left off my list was building ramps and doing jumps with our bikes. It felt like we were flying like Evel Knievel! Still, I could never convince my brothers to lie down on the sidewalk to see if I could clear them...

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I played all those games...till the street lights came on. Actually, my dad's rule was that I had to be back in my own yard before they came on.

My daughter and the other kids in the neighborhood don't play those games, but most evenings there's a big baseball game or mud fight (it's been raining a lot lately). I'm glad she and my son got to experience a little of that.

8:07 AM  
Blogger Bella said...

Where's Eino's blog?????? I think you opened up a can of worms with that part of the sotry. ;)

I love listening to my grandmother's stories of growing up in Hawaii. Sometimes I wish I would have known those days. I loved the clothing of back then; the dresses were so proper and elegant.

12:20 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

your younger days sound a lot like mine-but we lived out in the country and didn't have streetlights. We used to play things like cowboys and indians or cops and robbers with the neighbor kids. We used to walk through the woods looking for "indian mounds", we built forts, rode our bikes all over the neighborhood, chased fireflies at night...my own kids got a small taste of what we had- their neighborhood kids used to gather in our yard and all the kids would play kick the can til way after dark. None of us mothers ever worried about them and they've all grown up to be good, responsible and well balanced young adults. Even a couple of those neighbor kids that I used to wonder about sometimes wound up turning out quite well.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Kick the can and pick up baseball games, the great equalizer in my childhood of state hopping. Those were good times

2:16 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

I am glad I grew up when I did to....those were special times....the pace was much slower, people were more relaxed and unafraid. How great it is to look back on those pictures! Can you imagine if we had videocams like they do now?

4:11 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Hope that your breathing is better today..
I miss the old days.I can remember when we used to build huts on vacant sections and play hide and seek.Life was good then.And friends made were friends for life.

5:59 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Do you remember "ollie ollie oxen free?" Just saying the words invokes warm, dusky summer evenings for me.

Gosh. What a great post.

Josie

6:33 PM  
Blogger Hops said...

Hey I played all those games and I'm only 21!

You're prematurely aging me!

8:37 AM  
Blogger zzyytt said...

yeezy shoes
goyard st louis tot
nike flyknit racer
polo ralph lauren
kevin durant shoes
hogan outlet
yeezy boost 350 v2
tory burch sandals
adidas shoes
jordan 11

7:40 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

louboutin shoes
balenciaga sneakers
hermes belts
nike huarache
hermes online
longchamp
coach outlet store
jordan shoes
nike react
adidas yeezy boost

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home