Saturday, September 09, 2006

Another Phone Game

Saying for the day: A game well played is a reason for pride.

Yesterday I had a call that was not a recording and I had a chance to play the telephone game.( The idea of the game is to get the salesperson to hang up without ever getting to his main presentation.
The call went like this.

Me..Hello
Salesperson.. Is this Mr. John Linna

Me.. Yes it is.
Sa. I am calling for General Motors Credit Card..

Me. General Motors isn’t that a big company.
Sa. Yes it is.

Me. I got my car from them.
Sa. Good . I’m calling for General Motors.

Me. You have the wrong number.
Sa. Aren’t you John Linna

Me. Yes but you want General Motors .
SA. No,no, No I am calling for General Motors.

Me. But this isn’t General Motors. I don’t even work for them.
Sa. You don’t understand I am calling for General Motors.

Me. That would be the local Chevrolet Garage.
Sa. What.

Me. Wait a minute my wife will get that number for you . Betty
Sa. No-

Me. Its okay., It’ll just take her a minute she has to find the book. Honey look under the paper on the shelf.
Sa. No , I don’t want the garage.

Me. Well look I don’t work for General Motors . Do I have the same name as a Vice President or something?
Sa. Let me try again. I am calling for General Motors not to talk to them.

Me. You are calling General Motors but you don’t want to talk to them. That doesn’t make any sense.
Sa. Have a nice day.
Dial tone…..
I win

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where the trains still run and sweet little old ladies carry shotguns.– Still no sightings of the White Rabbit or the Dragon.
Tonight the big street dance for the Potato Festival. Big Rudy offered to clean the potatoes for the big potato eating contest. What has goten into that guy? A local group “The Trusty Trumbles” will be playing. You might know them as the “Dragon Fires” but they changed their name in the light of recent events. Tonight there will be plenty of beer and lots of French fries . People are waiting for the White Rabbit to show up. Mrs. Trumble says she will be ready. Eino is trying to find some way to prevent her from coming with that shotgun but so far he has had no luck.
Mrs. Trumble seems upset by all the attention she is getting. She says she just wanted to serve the community and save it from the demons. She doesn’t want any praise.
Nancy says she wishes for the good old days wjen people talked about other things than Mrs. Trumble and the dragon. Isn’t anybody cheating on their spouse anymore. Isn’t anybody on the edge of divorce. Hasn’t Tommy done anything worth talking about. All she gets to hear is Trumble, Trumble, Trumble. She is afraid that when Vicki gets her song done people will come in singing it. She thinks the town is suffering a bad case of Trumbleitis . There is no real cure for that either.
*****

Link for Today: Dust on a Dusty Road.. Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comments- to get those very wise JCPOINTS.Check your totals HERE.
We don't care when Betty gets up since the contest is over. We are going to wait a bit before starting the next one. Can't take the stress of waiting for a winner. We are considering other uses for those piles of worthless JCPOINTS. Perhaps an auction.
Didn't do much today. My sister who doesn't like the President called. Her son's football team ( the team he coachs) won today. Sometime life is good. Betty and I went to church. Then we went grocery shopping. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

23 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

Mrs Trumble is writing her own song?

3:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that was just too, too funny! Abbot and Costello have nothing on you.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I love that telephone game you played- that was great! I'm going to have to give it a try the next time I get a sales call.
The auction idea for the JC points sounds like it would be a lot of fun.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Good one on the telephone game....and you say you never win anything.

6:53 AM  
Blogger Kev Brown said...

What a great conversation, so funny, I wish I had been listening in hahaha.

6:54 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Those telephone calls are always handed over to our 3 year old daughter. Especially if they ask to speak to the "lady of the house."

How does a JC Bingo sound?

6:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too funny I had a great laugh on this one . I going to Fun set Bulivard with Danny Fantom Fanatic or Smartys . He he ha ha I broock my funny bone laughing so hard .

7:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You win, indeed! This has to be mentioned in my blog today.

My first BIG laugh of the day!

7:06 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

That is one of the funniest things I have ever read! I am gonna have to show my husband because he loves stuff like that. Hee hee hee...

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LoL :P
Nice way to handle a Sales Person..
Just popped by from my own own blog (still in shock that anyone commented on my open post.. and that all the commenters came by way of your blog :P)
via cindy's blog..
If this thing continues my blog will perhaps get more than 10-20 regular readers soon :D Anyway...
Thanks for making my blog the blog of the day, and your blog looks funny so far..
I'll be back later in the day :D

7:29 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

A potato festival! I'm so jealous, we have a pottery festival - nothing good to eat there and NO BEER!

7:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOL!! The phone call with General Motors was a classic!!!

8:59 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

LOL! Dr. John, I wish I could think that fast! That poor salesperson -- shame on you! hehehehehehe

9:18 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, I didn't forget to mention you when I posted on today's featured blog. I did it out of courtesy since my answer was a tad bit testy (though not impolite). I don't expect any credits for today. I know you don't send us to blogs to lecture folks -- the teacher in me refused to be restrained today.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I am cracking up over your phone call.....that is so good Dr John!!!! Too funny! You did good!

An auction? will you be auctioning off any cars???? if you do I want a blue one. ( lol )

wishing you and Betty a super weekend!!!

9:41 AM  
Blogger Neurotic Mom said...

LOL that was just too funny, i really need to remember that the next time i get a sales call.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, Doc - stick the boot in with those telemarketers!

Sock 'em one for me! ;-)

10:44 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I love it! You could start a business answering phones for people. I'll transfer a few down to you. You would work better than the National Do Not Call list.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Neoma said...

haha............well, I don't think I could carry it off......I would start laughin. I just tell them, hey give me your number, and I will call you back at my own convenience, and they usually say, we don't give out our number. And I say, well neither did I.... click.

5:42 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Very naughty and funny of you to do this. Should try it too. That will drive unwanted callers away.
I see that your lists are in alphabetical order now. Isn't that easier? Thanks.
Thank you for your link today. It was a pleasure reading the post.

8:33 PM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

I love it!!

Hahah.. that phone convo is classic.. I should try that next time with telemarketers too..

I must learn from the master!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog too.. I appreciate the comments!

8:47 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

somebody has been very naughty and i'm taking about me...it's 5 am sunday morning and now i get to your post. oops, ouch, my, my me...yesterday we had the bday celebration for Joe's nephew. his first and then we moved the party to his brothers house to celebrate Joe's 2 brothers bday...we ended up leaving the house at 9ish and coming home at midnight..after much cake, a ton of laughs and yummy food..we went out to feast at a Greek restaurant..and we all joked about the garlic, breath like that...well, in the middle of the whole thing, what is going through my mind is the dragon...the dragon that you have flying around in the fortress heading, lol..and how if the dragon would have gotten to Mrs. Trouble, with garlic breath, maybe he would have one the draw, lol...oh my goodness, yeap you guys came along with me for the fun, even if you didn't know about it until now :) ..that is the best part of yesterday for me and believe me there was a few good things to choose from. the fun, the feeling of belonging, the acceptance, the joking that just keep me laughing on and on which is great but the fact that it's not 'real world' vs. 'computer world' ...not at all..i took you guys along and kept you with me through all of it..btw, you had a fun time..lol..i don't think i can put it into words really and that is too bad but it is a good thing anyways.

loved how you got the caller..i betcha that is not a story he will be telling with pride, :).

i hope you had a good day. i look forward to our wonderful present to arrive. the kids were so excited and wow that this even happend..they all are falling in love with you guys too..they think you are pretty special people..they are smart kids..

4:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Dr. John, what a wonderful funny post. Thank you so much for the smiles I wish I could play the telephone game just like you. :)

12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home