Tuesday, September 12, 2006

First Parsonage Revisited

Saying for the Day: One needs to learn to be happy where you are.

Last week I started a Tuesday entry around the theme of tales from the parsonage.
I began by describing our first parsonage.
I want to expand that picture a bit today.

The parsonage came with a fireplace and a sauna so all was not bad.
It also had a nice enclosed study where we kept my books and Polly our parrot.
Betty was pregnant and having the laundry room off the kitchen was nice.

We were very happy there.
On a cold winter night we could snuggle up in front of a roaring fire and all was well with the world.

One other nice thing it had was a bulk gas tank at the end of the garage.
We got gas at a lower price than at the gas station as long as I got home and filled it up in my garage.
A number of times I ran out of gas trying to get home to the lower cost fuel.
To get the gas you had to back the car into the garage.
I am not a great driver and one of those attempts lead to my hitting the back wall and pushing the garage back on its cement block foundation, back but not quite off.

From this garage I served three congregations and drove fifty thousand miles a year.
It was good that gas didn’t cost $3.00 a gallon in those days.
I was happy to have the opportunity to serve God.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-the little town in my backyard where the trains still run and a big white Rabbit in a pink sweater still survives.– The White Rabbit is back. There have been numerous sightings since the street dance when Mrs. Trumble’s buckshot seemed to have gone right through it. Eino simply can’t figure out because he saw Mrs. Trumble shoot and he says she aimed right at the rabbit. But he has also examined the buckshot spread on the billboard and there is no break in it. It came from the gun and hit the board and was stopped by nothing. He keeps saying that he saw it but he doesn’t believe it. Mrs. Trumble is telling everybody it proves the White Rabbit is a demon and wasn’t hurt because she didn’t have her special Holy Bullets. Next time she says she will be ready.
Nancy says that people coming into her little place seem happy that the White Rabbit is back. Nobody understands how the Rabbit wasn’t hurt when Mrs. Trumble shot it but at the same time they are glad it wasn’t. Despite Mrs. Trumble very few are afraid of the smiling , waving , Rabbit. Mrs. Trumble says that they will be afraid when they see the fangs that she has seen. According to her the White Rabbit just pretends to be a nice bunny when it suits him.
Tommy, the undertaker’s kid, says that when he saw the White Rabbit swimming it didn’t have any fangs and it didn’t even know he was there.
The town is now gearing up for the pumpkin festival which will come the first Saturday in October. Locally grown pumpkins will be judged in term of size and roundness as well as color. Of course there will be another street dance and all the other things that go with a festival. If there is anything Pigeon Falls loves it’s a festival.
*****
The Link for Today: Just Me and My Creation..Remember to put Dr. John in the comment to get those hand carved JCpoints. Check your total HERE.
The great procrastinator finally got three of the Dr.'s degrees out today. I still need to hear from Catch, Margaret, and Chana as to what name they want on their certificate. You can send the name to me at linnajohn@sbcglobal.net . My sister who strongly dislikes President Bush stopped in today and took us out to lunch. She was so down on the President I was almost tempted to defend him but I didn't yield to the temptation. We did have a good talk and a journey down memory lane. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

16 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

I think someone needs to knit the White Rabbit a different colored sweater --- or another one for that matter. Going to start getting cold up there. Just leave it out on the street and see if he comes and gets it.

4:37 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

the parsonage sounds like a place in which you and Betty were happy and have fond memories of. how sweet that is. i like the picture of the two of you cuddling in front of the fire.
so glad you weren't hurt in that incident with the garage wall.
***********
i for one, am thrilled the rabbit is back. i can't wait to see how Eino solves this out. it truly has become a mystery.
look forward to the next festival.
**************
hope your day goes well. take care and we will read you tomorrow. hugs to Betty pls.

5:36 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

You're still serving Doc. =O)

7:14 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I thought Betty was the one who had trouble landing in the garage.....

8:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad the rabbit's back.

A pumpkin festival sounds like fun. Fall is my favorite time of year.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Christopher said...

Dude. That's intense. It makes me wish I was ordained already.
Peace,
Chris

9:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy bullets? LOL!

9:55 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

wow a sauna!!! it sounds like a very cozy place!!! I have trouble backing up too...lol

10:12 AM  
Blogger Roberta said...

Woow... thanks a lot for chosing my blog to be the link for today!

Have a nice day!

11:08 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

my mail just came and with it a lovely little package with a wonderful magical frog. he is so cute. he came in perfect state don't worry. Betty did an awesome job of packaging him. the card is lovely as well. i love the guarantee of magic abilities. i think it started doing some magic as it was a bit of a bad day and it's coming made me feel quite happy-thank you so much. i can't wait for the kids to come home and see yet another treat from the Fortress..i think the little ones do believe you live in one. pls pass on my thank yous to Betty too.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I think one of the greatest benefits of living in the north is having so many days that allow the use of a fireplace.

I am not exaggerating when I say that the first time I experienced a fireplace I was twenty two years old.

I love your posts about the old days.

2:12 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

haha, i was thinking about the white rabbit, and his fangs......and it reminded me of that old saying, It isn't the gun that kills people, it is the one holding the gun. The fangs aren't the problem, it is what he does with them. I have a dog with some really long white fangs, but as long as he keeps them in his mouth, we let him live also........and actually feed him. So I think someone should give the white rabbit some carrots. And give Mrs. Trumble a lie detector test, I think she might be fibbing anyway. I don't really trust her.......

And that having been said, it is raining, and I love rain, so I am going to go outside an play in the rain.....and get muddy.....

3:25 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

Dr. John, what did Betty say when you relocated the garage? haha

3:26 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

The parsonage sounds like a wonderful place of love.I can just imagine how you felt having your new pregnant wife cuddling you on the sofa while you served God.

3:29 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

The White Rabbit is back - I knew it.

I love your story about the parsonage. I love cozy places that intimate. It's so romantic.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I like your saying for the day "One needs to learn to be happy where you are." I agree 100%.

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home