Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A Problem for Gourmets

Saying for the Day: Some things should be priced out of range.

I have some bad news for you gourmet eaters out there in blog land.
The price of hormiga culona ("big-butt queen ants") has gone through the roof.
It seems there was a hard winter in Colombia and an increase in the aggressive lizards and birds that eat them.
This is the ant that produces the best chocolate-dipped ant on the planet.
It is tasty, crispy, and filled with protein.
This lack of ants is pushing the price of choice chocolate-dipped ants out of reach of the common person.
Watch out, however, the scam artists have entered the picture ( don’t they always) and are selling plain old American small-butt ants dipped in chocolate as if they were the real thing.
Anyone who has had the original will know there is something wrong at the first bite. American ants tend to be soggy and lack that real ant flavor .
These imitations can be found on many places on the internet so don’t be fooled.
If you want the real thing you are going to have to pay good money for it.
Make sure the add contains the words “genuine hormiga culona ants only”.
Life can be tough for gourmets.
On the other hand the supply of Australian Tarantulas is at an all time high pushing the prices down. As all gourmets know you can’t beat a deep fried Australian Tarantula for taste. Cover it with chocolate and you have a real winner. As the supply of ants decreases look for the sales of Tarantulas to increase. Isn’t that good news.

The rest of us that just eat hamburger are not touched by this problem.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where the train still runs and nobody runs for Mayor-Last night’s school board meeting may go down in the records as the loudest Board Meeting ever. The school gym was filled to the walls with upset school district people. Every single one wanted the school team name changed. One has to give the Chairman credit he tried to keep some kind of order. Before the meeting started there were a couple of fights among the participants. They take their sports seriously in Pigeon Falls. Of course there were not just Pigeon Falls people there. Since this is a combined High School there were people from Crippled Creek and Dirty River as well. Finally the chairman handed out slips of paper and asked people to write down the name they wanted. The secretary collected the sheets.
There were 27 who wanted “The Dragons“, 26 who wanted “Wolves“ , 15 who wanted “Bears“, six who wanted “Pirates“, and fifteen other names got smaller votes. The Board then tabled any action on this issue until the next meeting and named a committee to study the problem . The committee was required to have a report ready by next month. So it looks like the Team continues to be the “New Potatoes” for at least another month. It may be just as well . What will they do with all those uniforms with the new potato symbol on them?
Eino is now certain that the man who tried to break in to his garage was the same man who helped clear out the Hermit House. So why doesn’t he just come and talk to Eino about it? Why try to steal it when it theory it belongs to them. He contacted Homeland Security and they said that they were still looking into. It is a government agency and you know how fast they do things.
Tommy, the undertaker’s kid, got into an argument on the main street with Mrs. Trunble last night. He was wearing his White Rabbit for Mayor sweater and she was carrying her trusty Demon slayer. Their argument gathered a small crowd of onlookers . It’s a good job the White Rabbit didn’t show up then as Tommy might have jumped in front of Mrs. Trumble’s gun to keep her from shooting.
****

Today's link- Weird Cake-Treats from A Bipolar Mind- Remember to put the words Dr. John in your comments to get those unemployable JCPOINTS. CheckHERE for your totals.
Betty took the prizes from Monday and the blog print out for Dawn to the Post Office and then went to Tops. I spent a lot of time on the phone with my sister Dawn. She wanted to know what my brother died of. I remembered it being an intestinal problem. She called five times. She went to the hospital in Marquette but the record from 1948 weren't on the computer yet. She got the death certificate and it said heart failure ( cost her $10.) But I am sure he was operated on and his heart may have failed during the surgery. Its strange how we lived in the same house and have different memories of how things were. well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

23 Comments:

Blogger Louisiana said...

that is absolutely not my taste..oh my stomach!

when i first read hormigas culonas, my eyes opened huge i bet...i best stick to my m & m's..
************
i can't believe how long it will take for the name issue. it seems all levels of government, including school stuff. Yikes!
it is funny how Tommy has a bad rep but he is the only one, even being a kid who has stood up to Mrs. Trouble. that goes to show you, courage and common sense have nothing to do with age.
************
here is wishing you both a good day. i hope Betty is not too tired. hugs and love to both. i'm delighted that you both enjoyed those signs. take care and read you tomorrow.

5:23 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Have to admit reading about the ants kind of cut my appetite. I should refer to that post when I decide to get serious about dieting!

I am surprised no one suggested the White Rabbits for the team name. Unless it was one of those that got very few votes.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Sunflower Optimism said...

My son has come back from a week at Boy Scout camp telling me how he ate ants on a dare. I guess they were the plain old American small-butt ants. He doesn't like chocolate. He's in college now, so I guess those lesser ants didn't hurt him too much.

I like Wolves. Maybe they can do fundraisers to help endangered wolves, or "adopt" an endangered wolf.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

Is this for real Dr John do American's really eat ants. We once had hedgehog flavoured crisps in the U.K. though not flavoured with real hedgehogs, i think! they didn't retail for long

6:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

wow! that board meeting sounds dangerous!! I always liked bulldogs as a team name..my high school team was named that and the sight of those dogs on the coats was a sight to behold-it still brings tears to my eyes ----yrs later!!

7:32 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I love chocolates but EWWW! What's this?
Thanks for passing by. My photo I found by surfing the internet.
Thanks for letting me know I won. So that means I get that cute bear?

8:10 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Good link today...

I am soooooo glad I am not a gourmet eater....I lost my appetite just readiing about the ants....blecka!

8:22 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

I couldnt care less if the price of ant and tarantulas went though the roof, i doubt I could eat one if I was starving...same goes for frog legs and all the rest of that kind of stuff....give me a a good old cow!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It would take a whole lot of chocolate....

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmm chocolate covered ants ... it is a perfect desert compliment after the tempura battered grasshopper appetizer , beetle soup and worm spaghetti dinner w/ froglegs meatballs ;-)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

I sent you an e-mail question just so you know in case you do not check it often.

11:22 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

After moving south and finding these "fire ants" and the pain they inflict.... I haven't looked at an ant the same way since.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Cherlee's said...

ewwwwwwww choc ants!! LOL Not for the weak stomach like myself!

1:40 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

ahhhh, I don't feel sooo good! My tummy hurts after this post!
Ewwwwwwwwwww!

I make yummy chocolats! They R
'THE BEST', but I don't ever remember anything like these!
HOWEVER~
If anyone so desires any of the mention'd chocolats--drop me an e-mail and I'll get on it!
...except, they will B American Ants! hahahaaaaa......
;]

2:26 PM  
Blogger Bella said...

Oh my gosh!!!! That is just so, so.....ewwwwwwwwww.

I'm gagging!

2:29 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I don't think I could ever bring myself to eat an insect. I would have to be VERY hungry. I mostly just eat chicken. I prefer white meat. I like to find it on sale and buy a lot of it at one time.

I hope you are having a nice, ant- free week.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm really low on groceries right now, and thought I was really hungry.

Until I read this blog post.

Now, I just feel kind of antsy . . .

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not much of a chocolate eater, and I've sworn off meat, so chocolate covered ants of any size or variety don't tempt or disgust me at all. One man's delicacy is another man's garbage.

5:02 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I have eaten alligator, emu, chocolate covered ants and fried grasshopper. I believe I have done all that is necessary to prove I am adventerous. Someone else may have my share of the fried trantula.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Yucky! The turantuala thing really got me. ew.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

That's really sad that so much was "against" you guys with the camp, but at least something good came of it- you did enjoy the travel trailer :0) As for your brother, I am sorry for your loss- I know it was years ago, but it's something you never get over.

3:45 PM  
Blogger Kiley said...

Hi Dr. John,

Well, thanks so much for putting me as a blog link for the day, I appreciate it...though I WAS initially stunned by the increase in comments yesterday!!!

Peace out, dear, I'm gonna link you up on my blog!!!

Blessings,
ariK, Ph.D.

7:51 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

I guess some people will eat anything if you dip it in chocolate.........kind of like here in the south, you can make anything worth eating if you fry it, or as my cousin used to say, if it isn't edible you can make it edible by putting catsup on it, I wonder how big butt ant's taste in catsup?

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home