Thursday, October 05, 2006

My Aunt and Uncle


Saying for the Day:Always get a second opinion unless the first one works.

This is a picture of my Aunt Doris and Uncle Dick Mattson.
Betty and I stayed at their camp the night we were married.

When my Aunt was 67 she became very forgetful.
My Uncle Dick became concerned and took her to the doctor who told him she was becoming senile.
As the days went by her memory got worse.
My Uncle argued with the Doctor saying that she was too young to be senile.

Finally he took her to a clinic in Duluth.
There they discovered she had a brain tumor.
She was operated on and the tumor was removed.

Note if she had been younger the tumor would have been discovered when the symptoms first appeared.Doctors often treat old people differentlt from young ones to the detrement
of the old.

Her mental facilities returned to normal.
While in the hospital she had two doctors.
Her physical condition deteriorated quickly.
One of her doctors told my Uncle that she would probably die.
The other took him aside and said that he should take her home and she would recover.
He did and she did.

I remember this because, from my own experience and theirs, I have learned that you can not always trust what the doctor tells you and sometimes you should get a second and even a third opinion.

@@@@
The News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard where the trains still run and little old ladies hunt rabbits– Well the White Rabbit hasn’t been seen since the pumpkin incident but the liar’s club contest goes on. Ronald Smythe finally got to tell his story without any exploding pumpkins. Here is the story:
Some years ago the government built a top secret installation not far from Pigeon Falls. Here they did some research into gene splicing and cloning. They were trying to produce a super fast , super strong soldier. Something however, went very wrong and they got instead a large sized, talking rabbit. The rabbit was of no use to them and they didn’t want Washington to know of its existence . So they decided to kill it and simply mark the project off as having failed. One of the workers felt that this would be wrong and he helped the rabbit escape. The Rabbit went into the woods and made its way to the town.
However, when people saw it, they were scared and so he hid in the woods. When people weren’t home he would steal food and he took from many gardens. The people at the agency did not want him caught and talking to the press but they couldn’t admit to his existence . Thus they could not send somebody to openly hunt him. Instead they hired and old lady to spread stories of the rabbit being a demon to keep people from talking to him. They even showed her how to shoot and gave her a shotgun. The rabbit , who is quiet intelligent, knew what was going on and decided to talk to me on my farm. He explained what was happening and asked for my help. My problem is that nobody believes me. Yesterday we were planning on introducing him during this presentation but just as he appeared the agency lady shot at him sending him back to the woods. The next time he appears give him an opportunity to share with you.
Again the judges are saving their comments until after the last story.
****

Todays Link– Link List Two – Remember to put Dr. John in the comments. Check Here for your JCPOINTS excluding the ongoing Marathon. Betty went to the dentist today and discovered she has an infection in her jaw and it wasn't even hurting. She also sent out Monday's prizes. We did a little shopping in the afternoon. Then I finished counting yesterday's blog marathon. There are five people who did all 17 blogs. a total of 18 different people are taking part as of the first day. Now I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

13 Comments:

Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Absolutely! Second and third opinions are crucial as is trusting what the eyes of love see and know. The best advice I ever got from a doctor was from the first pediatrician we had. He said to me, "You know this child better than anyone else. You are able to look at him and know when he is sick or something is not right. And your job is to get in my face until I believe you."

4:42 AM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your Aunt Doris. How is she doing now? I don't remember reading about you mentioning on how she is now.

6:03 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Doctors who do not listen was one of my ten things I really dislike (I would use hate, but it s such a strong word).

8:11 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

i completely agree with your post. having dealt with so many docs, i can count a million different opinions. i'm glad that your dear aunty was healed. i know how much love she still had to share.
i love the picture. i can see your decorations (bell) and your wedding cake. how lovely to share in such a beautiful day!
************
i'm glad he got to tell his story. a good one but i am not convince it will help Eino get closer to the truth.
********************
the second phase of the marathon is now finish. i did it and i must say it is much easier to get it done in parts. thank you.
hope you are well. hugs to you and Betty. take care and we will read you tomorrow.

8:34 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23369688-details/Scientists+to+create+'frankenbunny'+in+big+research+leap/article.do

Truth is stranger than fiction.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

The Drs are great at giving up on the elderly and just blaming everything on senility. And of course she recuperated better in her own home...they all do.Im glad this story had a happy ending.

10:24 AM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

For my first marathon, I don't think I'm doing too badly... Not as bad as if it were an ACTUAL marathon with running!

I think the "D" and "J" keys are starting to wear a bit on my keyboard, though...

11:26 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

They don't call it "practicing" medicine for no reason, I can't imagine burdening one doctor only with finding a way to correct my father-in-laws ill health. We always take him for at least two opinions. Nice story with a happy ending Dr. John!

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally agree with that. Thank goodness he did!

1:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, miss one day and you miss a marathon day and all the excitement in Pigeon Falls. Time to catch up.

3:09 PM  
Blogger MommaistheBoss said...

Hey Dr John,
I appreciate all the blog travellers you send my way. Their comments always make me smile.
My daughter is a cancer survivor. First the docs told me she wouldn't live. Then, they told me the leg may have to be removed. Then, they told me she would probably never walk. She is nearly tree now. She doesn't walk. She RUNS everywhere!
I do owe credit to the wonderful doctors who did treat her.

5:41 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

It's amazing what some Doctors will tell you. I can't count how many times they told me my father would die within one yr. He survived about 15 yrs!

Sorry I haven't been able to come here everyday. I am opening a business here, and it is taking all of my free time, and then some. I will come as often as I can though.

:)

5:49 PM  
Blogger Neoma said...

This is very true.......this is happening right now to my husband and his toe. he had one dr treating him for the last three weeks, and it just kept getting worse. This morning he went and saw a new Dr.......he asked my husband why he was taking the antibiotics that he was taking, my husband said, "because it is what the Dr. gave me." I asked the Dr. "isn't this what he should be taking, and the Dr. said, Not unless he has menigitis.....He changed his medicine, and the treatment and today the toe is beginning to look better........sometimes it takes more than one dr.

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home