Thursday, October 19, 2006

Uncle Donald and the deer


Saying for the day: Shooting the bullets is a better way to kill a deer than throwing them at them.

This is a picture of my uncle Donald and my father (Donald is the tall one).
He was my mother’s brother and a good friend of my father.
They often went hunting together.
As soon as deer season started they would set a time to go hunting.
On that day off they went to Muck’s Swamp.
Now I doubt that was the official name but its what everybody called it.
I still remember the first time they went deer hunting together.
It was my uncle Donald’s first time hunting deer and he was very excited.
Now Uncle Donald was a World War II veteran and new a lot about guns .
He really wanted to get his first deer.
It was the middle of the afternoon and a big buck strode out onto the road about thirty feet from where my uncle stood.
My uncle had a brand new repeating rifle ,with a pump-action .
The action is operated by a moveable fore-end that goes backwards and forwards to eject, extract, and chamber a round of ammunition.
He took aim at the deer and then in his excitement he repeatedly pumped the gun ejecting all the bullets.
Instead of pulling the trigger he pulled the pump mechanism.
My dad never let him forget the day he tried to kill a deer by throwing bullets at it.
The next year he got his deer but the story lived on.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town where the trains still run and where little old ladies fight dragons– Eino is not talking about his plan to catch the White Rabbit. There have been a number of secret meetings at his newly repaired garage. Now I guess we wait for the White Rabbit to show up.
Neither the White Rabbit nor the dragon have been seen since the big pumpkin festival. Mrs. Trumble is telling everybody they are afraid she is going to get them so they are in hiding. She also told Nancy that Tommy can stop at her house as often as he wants but she won’t stop going after the dragon or the White Rabbit.
Tommy went in to Nancy’s after school and had a glass of pop and a saffron bun. He told Nancy that Mrs. Trumble is the most stubborn person he has ever met. She won’t listen to reason. He has tried to explain to her the danger of running around with that shotgun but she just laughs. She does make good cookies though, he had to admit.
The next big festival is not until November 14 which is a Monday and the day before deer season. There is a big street dance planned and a big meal at the Masonic building . All of this for the deer hunters who will fill the town as they get ready to bag their buck. Deer season starts the next day. If the dragon and the White Rabbit wait until then it could be pretty cold. One would suspect they might show at some lesser gathering like a wedding or a party of some kind. Though the White Rabbit has been known just to show up for the passengers on the train.
Nancy says there is still nobody willing to run for Mayor or council and time is running out.
*****

Today's link- Accidental Housekeeper- Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comment to get those sober JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your total.
Well if you want proof that Dr. John is getting old. Last night when I closed up the blog before my breathing treatment I hit the save as draft instead of the publish button. So some of you never got to see yesterday's post. Not that was a tragedy or anything. It was just mundane facts about my life but it cut off the link and denied our linkee a comment or two. I wish I could promise that it will never happen again but alas at my age who knows.
This was one of those days that starts out great and then goes downhill. The real estate agent called and had to rewrite part of the offer because we were now using money from a loan on my house instead of the sale of my house as downpayment. She faxed us the new copy and we faxed it signed back to her. She also called the place where we are getting the big loan and made them nervous so they called us twice. Now I think everything is in order again. Things would be so much better if we could get this house sold.
Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

13 Comments:

Blogger Tina Dray said...

Great story again lovely to hear about your family history.

4:06 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

Another festival? Pigeon Falls sure does party alot.

4:21 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

I think I will move to Pigeon Falls. Sounds like there is alot happening.

Great family story. I just love your writing style. Keep up the lovely musings.

Blessed be...

6:17 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

oh another wonderful picture of your family. how nice it is to meet them. i have never been hunting and i'm pretty sure i will never try it (i do like shooting practice, that i would like to give a go). my friend's dad would go get most of their winter meats that way..i once saw a rabbit hanging from the door know and i almost fainted, lol..
I can imagine how much fun the family had teasing your uncle Donald (love that name btw)..it is always fun to have a good story..
**********
Mrs. Trouble is stubborn, how sweet of Tommy to try to get her to see reason..
I love that another festival is on it's way. That brings the community together and they are so much fun. A town that parties together stays together.
Good luck to Eino..but i hope the rabbit doesn't get hurt or scared.
*****************
It was a mistake Dr. John, what happened with the post..nothing to do with age. I'm glad all is in order again though..now you won't have to read my million messages all over the place. oh and i left my message in yesterday's post..ahh, that is better..lol..
you are not an addiction sir but a loving part of my day and without it, i'm loss..I pray that you will be around for as long as i'm so that i don't ever have to go without you.


And, I love you. You make an awesome layout and tell great stories that keep me comforter daily. thank you.

hugs to you and Betty..

6:19 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Don't worry about it.. I click "save as draft" all the time on accident.. then I wonder why my posts aren't showing up.. then.. my posts are a little late on the updates because of that.. then.. i hang my head in shame..

7:42 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I do that also because I just hit enter (which clicks the first button "draft") vs. mouse pointing and clicking on Post.

It is surely not a sign that you are getting old. Stress, maybe. After all some crazy bloggy visitor had to go and tag you this last weekend and threw off your equalibrium.

8:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great family story and the picture is priceless.

8:38 AM  
Blogger LZ Blogger said...

I agree with the "SAYING OF THE DAY!" ~ jb///

8:38 AM  
Blogger Catch said...

great family story Dr John....and heaven knows we all have some of them! lol

10:09 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

I loved that story! throwing bullets at a deer.LOL..
he saved the poor things life so that was nice.
I think you do extremely well with your blog Dr John..I cant even insert a link!!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Personally, I wish everyone would just throw the bullets at the deer instead of shooting them. But then we'd soon be taken over by deer. I guess I should keep my opinions to myself, I certainly don't want to shoot Bambi's mother though. Great story Dr. John!

3:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the story and throwing bullets is always the best way. :p haha
It seems the White Rabbit and dragon may be in need of protection. Do you think they should wear orange jackets in case they are mistaken for deer? Of course Mrs Trumble and Eino will have to be informed that some of the deer hunters will be in disguise.

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good story, as always, Dr. John! I really enoy these pictures of your family history!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home