Thursday, October 12, 2006

In Gramp's Foot steps

Saying for the Day: A wise man knows from whence he came.

When Betty and I were in England my Great Aunt Dora took us to an old Methodist Church in the middle of a field.
It wasn‘t locked so went in and looked around.
Aunt Dora pointed out where my grandfather was sitting when he responded to an old fashioned altar call and gave his life to Christ.

I held in my hand my grandfather’s Bible which I had brought with me to England.

For a moment I could almost feel Grandpa standing there with us.

It was one of the very special moments of that trip.

Here I touched my religious roots.

I wanted to post some pictures of the church but all the pictures we took were slides and my scanner won’t handle slides.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– the little town in my backyard where the best Liars get awards– The Liar’s Club judges met last night and announced the winner of the White Rabbit story contest. They felt that there was no question who the better story teller had been. They picked Donna Bergall. She gets the Liar’s Club sweater that says “Ask me about the White Rabbit” on the front and on the back it says “ Have I got a story for You”. Donna says that if the White Rabbit stops in she’ll give him the sweater. She also received coupons for ten free cups of coffee at Nancy’s. Now Nancy can keep up on her stories.
It snowed in Pigeon Falls today. This is only October. What happened to global warming?
Mrs. Trumble hasn’t been to town since the pumpkin festival . People think she is plotting some new way to get the rabbit.
Nancy says with the festival over and the dragon excitement ending the town is back to worrying about the next Mayor. People should be turning in their petitions to run and not one has been received. If somebody doesn’t come forward soon there will be no names on the ballot. It seems everybody in town has been asked at least twice and turned it down. The same thing is true of the council. In November Pigeon Falls may have no local government. People are starting to worry but not enough to say “Here am I . Elect me!”
****

Today's link- Thoughts from Oklahoma- Remember to put Dr. John in the comment to get those flowery JCPOINTS. Check your totals HERE. Marathon totals now added in. The final results of the marathon can be seen HERE.
Well I finished up the marathon material and am now getting the blogger cups and certificates ready to mail. It will take a bit because i have to get four more cups. The people who looked at the house today are coming back tomorrow to take pictures so I guess there is a possible sale there. We will see! I read on my daughterinlaw's blog that she is having thanksgiving at her mother's. We hadn't even thought about it until yesterday when we discovered my younger sister had invited my older sister and her entire family ( 11 people) to Peter's house for Thanksgiving. She assumed that because we were all together there last year we would be again this year. Its good the older sister turned her down. Life takes very strange turns.
Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

20 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

No major hurricanes, snow in October. Yes, where is global warming?

4:39 AM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

Slides, you say? That shouldn't be a problem... You'll just have to invite all your loyal readers over for an evening of vacation slides and hot chocolate!

4:51 AM  
Blogger Lori's Minute said...

Again, a story I had not heard before.

5:00 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

There is something very special about seeing and touching the place your ancestors, grandparents lived and walked. It must have been indeed a very special moment in that church.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

A Town without a Mayor or politician just may be a good thing afterall. I don't think the Amish communities have mayors.

5:28 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Oh Dr.John, what a wonderful thing it was you both got to go the church. I'm sure your grandfather was there with you and that you sensed his presence. i can just picture you standing there with that treasured Bible..oh, thank you for sharing such a beautiful memory...thank goodness for Aunt Dora for taking you there.
**************
Hooray for Donna..she had the best story of them all..
I say rabbit for mayor...and dragon for assitant..
********************
my heart was touched by your post today.
i hope you and Betty are well. thank you for all the work of counting the marathon points. hugs all around and read you tomorrow God Willing.

7:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an awesome moment that must have been. I love connecting with family history.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Bare said...

What a beautiful story :0) Once again, I say, Elect The White Rabbit!

9:25 AM  
Blogger Oklahoma Girl said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! for making me your Blog of the Day. I am honored!! Many visitors to my site today. I hope they visit often.

Loved the story.

Have a beautifully blessed day.

Namaste`

9:25 AM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Wow Dr John, what a lovely memory. A piece of your history right before you. I can feel the presence of God in this room even after reading about your grandfather's experience. Wow.

10:01 AM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Lovely romantic post:)
I love to hear about where and how ppl give their lives to God.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

My Grandmother used to have these big old trunks (we called them "treasure chests") stored in the hay loft on their farm. They contained mementos from her family and she would tell me about their history. She also had an old roll top desk which had some really old letters in it. The letters were written by my ancestors and I was fascinated by them. Sitting at that desk and reading those letters was like being transported back to their time.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

that must have been a very impressionable moment for you Dr John, and Im sure Grandpa was looking and smiling!

2:56 PM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

How wonderful to exeperience such a deep connection to your grandfather and his faith. So how did the grandson of a methodist wind up a lutheran pastor!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

I didn't know how valuable family history was until I accidently connected with a 3rd or 4th cousin here online and learned he had our entire family tree from the 1400's -- I now have a copy, it's 2.5 inches thick -- there are pictures in there of men who look much like my father, but lived over 100 years ago. What really moved me was learning that an ancestor of mine was one of the first 7 colonists killed in the Revolutionary War.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

What a treasure to be able to connect with your roots. My history begins with my parents, they weren't good at passing on family history and died before we kids could bully it out of them.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to see those pictures, John. There are some very beautiful old churches over there, and just standing in them, and knowing that those who came before you worshipped in that very place, has to be a moving experience. I'm glad you had that opportunity.

10:08 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

When my mother was just 16 years old she did a watercolor painting of Salisbury Cathedral. The painting hung in my bedroom and I always used to imagine being in the cathedral. After my mom passed away I went to England and went into Salisbury Cathedral. I thought, "I'm inside my mother's painting."

10:24 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Good luck with the new house buyers. I just watched a show on TV where they followed three couples who bought each other homes. The new owners completely redecorated which is to be expected, but it was also sad. Things the former owner loved were distasteful to the new owner. To each his own but it is sad to think of someone taking down your favorite wallpaper.

3:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a moving moment for you. An empty church in the middle of a field, and unlocked too, what a lovely image.

Snow in October? Beautiful warm sunshine here in the UK today, worked sleeveless in the garden.

I say White Rabbit for Mayor, Dragon as Deputy Mayor!
Have a wonderful weekend.

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home