Saturday, October 14, 2006

Respect or lack of it.

Saying for the Day- In the end respect is earned.

There was a comment yesterday from Stacy that said “I miss the days of when you showed the President respect just because he was the president.”
I agree with her that the President should be given respect.

Name calling is out of place for the one that holds that office.
One can call attention to what you consider to be his mistakes without the vitriol.

The problem is there never was a day in the history of this country that we didn’t insult the President.
It was one of those things that came with free speech.
We could do it and so we did.
If you had done that to the kings of old they would have had your head.
But here in America the President was and is fair game.

If you think this is something new go back and read what they said about Lincoln while he was President.
In fact some of the things they called him make it look like the press is being nice to President Bush.
Or look at old video tapes of college students calling Lyndon Johnson a murderer and asking how many boys he had killed today.

The President is important to us and we tend to love him if he is doing what we think is right and hate him if he isn’t.
It probably shouldn’t be that way but it is.
In the end a President earns the respect that is given in history .

In the present every President will have those who think he walks on water and those who think he is full of hot air.
One group will cry to respect him and the other lead the insults.

In a perfect world it would not be so.
But this is not a perfect world.

As for me I try to respect everyone.
Those that agree with me and those who don’t .
I try never to resort to name calling.
I try to do the best I can.
Long ago I learned that God loves the good and the bad.
God even wants to save them all.

Who am I to insult the people God loves.


@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-the little town in my backyard where the trains still run and coffee is $.75 a cup– Well the storm really blew in to Pigeon falls and the town gas station collapsed. Between the wind and the snow something gave way. And just as fast the snow has melted and is gone.
Nancy says people are upset by how long its taking to get the main street plowed. The town really needs a new plow but doesn’t have the money for one. When people complain Nancy tells them that they should run for town council and fix things. Then they decide things aren’t so bad. Last year at this time they were blaming everything on the mayor but now nobody dares. At least people are acting a bit kinder. When you begin to understand the nature of the job it is harder to lay blame.
Eino heard back from the lab this morning that the stone man is made out of almost microscopic marble chips held together with anew kind of glue. He said that a machine had been developed that works like an ink jet printer but is driven by a laser beam and makes three dimension models. The beam sweeps the object sends the information to a computer and the “printer” layer by layer builds the object. But the only machines he knows of are too small to make the hermit statue . This leaves Eino with more questions. If this is the way the statue was created who built the bigger machine ? Why did they build it. Why put a hermit statue in Pigeon falls? He is going to keep looking for answers.
*****

Link for the Day: Sister Raya-remember to put the words Dr. John in the comments to get those dreamy JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your totals.
Well the snow came back and really messed up my garden railroad town. Eino's garage collapsed. Two houses lost their roofs. I'll put some Pigeon Falls pictures in tomorrows Pigeon Falls report.
Betty got up late today . Her sister from Evansvile and her husband came to visit. It was very interesting to hear of the treatment she got for the brain tumor. She certainly seems fine. We decided to go to church tomorrow. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

12 Comments:

Blogger jafabrit said...

People have to earn respect and there are some that haven't earned mine.I am not into the vitriolic insults though. Just destroys the credibility of those hurling them and doesn't contribute to articulating the whys and solutions, etc. Enjoyed your post, something to ponder on.

6:24 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Respect does have to be earned. But you are right Dr. John, it's probably best to reserve the really vile insults for God to issue.

Sculpture making aliens have paid a visit to Pidgeon Falls perhaps.

7:28 AM  
Blogger starbender said...

I luv George! I think the President is doing a good job, we are still here, we still work, and we still eat! ...and as long as soooo many people around the world and in my country want him out of office... I will push harder 2 keep him in. It just makes sense, If the TERRORISTS want George Bush Out----I will continue voting for him! Think about it, that just tells me George is DOING HIS JOB!
:)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Name calling and insults say more about the transmitter than the receiver. If I cannot make my point clear without stooping to pettiness and nastiness, perhaps I do not have a point.

9:10 AM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Respect is something everyone is owed. It is not a gift given to someone that we have concluded they deserve. Whatever anyones opinion of anyones is, respect should be given. Like, love, friendship is something that is up to us to give or not...Respect is something we each owe one another because we are all the same in God's eyes and He is the judge, not us.
*****************
I ended up in a mall yesterday, ended is the appropiate word and i went to the restaurant in one of the stores, i had a meal..when the bill came i happen to glance at it and i freaked out...my pop was billed at $2.19, for sure it was a mistake i figure..so i check the menu and for sure that was the price..and so it was for coffee...can you believe that great deal that Nancy's place has going: $.75 for coffee..my goodness, i hope she doesn't raise her prices for she will get more business coming in like that in the long run and make her money after all. If the town doesn't pull together and work towards a common goal, then complaining about all things wrong won't make a difference. whether they have a mayor or not they best start looking at other options..they are running out of time..Nancy is busy with her place but she would certainly get things done in office and she has the personality for it..Poor Eino..poor Eino..i shake my head..everywhere more questions and he is working so hard...
*****************
I hope the news from the people coming back for the house is good news..I hope you and Betty will be having a great wknd and that you are both feeling well. Thank you for all that you do for all of us. Much love and hugs to both.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I agree, history will be the true judge.

11:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dr. John!!

I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciated your sending so many to my blog recently. I wasn't around so those who hadn't posted before were okay'd just the other day. In case you wish to check that out.

Thank you so much!
Have a great day!
:)

1:59 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

In this crazy world today...no one respects anyone anymore....people are not always nice...they blame it on all kind of reasons....but what it boils down to is they were not raised to respect people or things.

3:57 PM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

well even if a don't respect a person I respect their right to be treated as i would like to be treated (common courtesy and social politeness)

Or as the old saying goes. Treat others as you wish to be treated yourself.

5:25 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I try not to insult peeps, but if I do I try to say what God would say about them. Usually they get chalked up to being a Noodle-head or something along those lines.

I think God called me a noodlehead a few times in my life as well as a few presidents.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

I do agree, that respect is something that is earned, not given- but I know I should be nicer many times, and not say the things I do. I mean, it's no secret, I didn't vote for Bush either time, and I'm not a fan, but I should be nicer.

A hermit sculpture, hmmmmmmmm....

6:39 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Well Dr. John, sorry to do this to you but you've been Bloggy Tagged.

Stop by my blog and check out Gimme Five and Gimme Five! (Big Grin!)

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home