Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Saying for the day: Always look a gift dog in the rump.

Soon after we arrived we decided we need a dog ( I decided we needed a dog).
Since my boyhood dog was a Springer Spaniel I wanted my kids to grow up with one as well.
Now a pure bred Springer with papers was not cheap and it seemed like an impossible dream.
Then we saw an advertisement in the paper where somebody wanted to give away a pure bred Springer.
So we went to the home and sure enough we got the dog for free.
We were so happy.
Duchess that was the dogs name was house broken.
She was gentle and kind.
She was the perfect dog.
Well almost perfect.
Soon we discovered why the previous owner gave her away.
She was always in heet.
The yard filled with male dogs the day after she arrived and they kept coming.
Soon we had our first litter of puppies.
Now the parsonage had more dogs than we ever wanted.
I think we found homes for all of them.
Now of course we would have her spayed.
But then we didn’t think of it and nobody suggested it .
My dad rescued us by taking her to the farm where she died birthing puppies.
I learned that you can’t repeat your childhood.


@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls-The little town in my backyard where the trains still run and nobody runs for office.-Eino still can’t use the garage but the work on it is progressing. Mrs. Trumble has given up on the snowmobile idea. She says they are too expensive. Besides , last winter, the White Rabbit didn’t show up once.
Nancy says that she still hasn’t found anyone willing to run for Mayor. Lots of people saying that it’s a real shame but none willing to put in the effort and take the heat. She thinks that may be the reason we often get such poor leadership. The people who would lead us well don’t want to go through the fire of political office.
The Other Angel Catholic Church is putting in an elevator so the old people can get downstairs with ease. It’s being done at the order of the Bishop and a lot of local people are unhappy. Its sad that sometimes we have to be told to do what is right. The people who are unhappy wanted to put in air conditioning instead.
Mr. And Mrs. Bill Maki were going to go to Hawaii for their anniversary in two weeks but now that there has been that earthquake they are not sure the trip is still on. Even little Pigeon falls is touched by things happening far awy from it. They have been saving up for this trip for five years and were really looking forward to it. Her sister was coming or maybe is coming to take care of the kids. It was to be their first real vacation without the kids in eight years. Bill even arranged for somebody to take care of the farm. The cows would be milked every day and all the animals fed. A farmer can’t just up and go , you know. Maybe they could go to Disney World instead.
*****

Today's link- Some Things are Better Left Unsaid- Remember to leave the words Dr. John in the comments to get those very boney JCPOINTS. C heck HERE for your points.
Well I have looked at all twenty comments for yesterday and I appreciate all of them but I need to chose . So I have picked two. The first is by a lady who day after day leaves the kindest, sweetest coments not only on my blog but on every blog she visits. That , of course, is Chana. Sometime ago she said she didn't want blog explosion credits so I will give her 50 JCPOINTS instead. The second winner is Cuppojoe. The Dr. John song made my day. I think it will be sung at the Fly Inn whenever Dr. Fortress ( Dr John Fortress) comes in for a glass ( milk of course).
Cuppojoe gets fifty blog explosion credits.
In the morning we got the blogger cups out to England, Canada, and the Phillipines. We will finish four more tomorrow and get them out. Then we have to wait for four more cups to come in. Betty and I worked in the garage all afternoon and are almost ready to begin bringing in the buikdings from the layout. The bank called and we get the loan tomorrow. Well I need a breathing treatment.
GBYA

19 Comments:

Blogger Janets Planet said...

My dad had to shoot one of our dogs when I was young. I think it was cause she had started running with a pack out in the woods.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if he did that in this day and age.

4:41 AM  
Blogger Tina Dray said...

sweet story Dr John would love a dog but Bazza says No!

4:46 AM  
Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Don't get me started on dogs. The ones I remember from childhood were wonderful companions. Our current dog does nothing but eat things she is not supposed to (batteries, steak knives, fountain pens, etc.) and then gets sick on what she eats. No - you CAN'T repeat your childhood and being the adult who has to clean up is no fun!

4:55 AM  
Blogger jafabrit said...

I guess it depends on the dog, the breed and luck. I have to say my little yorkie is as sweet and as wonderful companion as the one I had when I was a kid.

oh I love dogs.

5:17 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

We had a litter of Great Danes -- and one was in heat. One day we went outside to find a small tiny teacup poodle (male) mating with my female Great Dane. What a mismatch!

5:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey John! Thanks for spotlighting me!

6:27 AM  
Blogger ArtsyTartsyViray said...

Dogs.. I have never had my own.. but once Justyn and I get married.. whenever that may be.. that's the first thing I'm going to get!

Sigh.. I would love some blog explosion credits.. hint.. hint..

Haha.. Just kidding..

BTW.. I got a lil Halloween towel thingy.. cute.. and thanks!

7:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've always had at least one dog under foot. Currently we have two, but don't tell them they're dogs. They'd be crushed! They believe they are people and as such should have all the same benefits of family membership. In fact, the poodle ranks himself higher than my husband and plants himself at my side, grumbling whenever hubby comes near.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Jerry Bowley said...

Well, thanks a ton for the credits and you're most welcome for the little ditty...

Now, any chance I could wrangle some extra JC points out of you for actually having spared you the torture of me singing the song myself?

;)

9:58 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

My father always insisted on male pets because of this very reason. Then when I grew up and married I bought a female Basset Hound (spayed of course) My parents babysat her while I went out of town and fell in love with her. Now they have a female dog.

Since I now have a male and female bassets. We had one set of pups but that was it - the litter after sold paid for their spay/neuter and a few other odds and ends.

But Holy Moly, I now have Kittens again! Our neighbors cat keeps having her kittens under our front porch. Yet, our neighbor won't take responsibility for the kitties. I offered to have her cat spayed but they said no. This is the 3rd litter!!

Unfortunately, the three kitties are cute as a button.

11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our bitch was spayed but I wish we had let her have a litter of pups now, but we had brother and sister so we had to act quickly. I had a dog when I was a child and so when our son was seven we decided to have dogs again.

Well done Chana and cuppojoe!

2:47 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

The rollercoaster of emotions is on.
She is in heaven, with Our Lord and Saviour and i'm so happy and then i feel i feel the pain and i ache..

Thank you for the wonderful JC points. I leave the comments that come out of my heart and head. I don't really see them as kind or nice but i'm grateful that you see them as good.

I thank you once again for the steps on grieving. I shall refer to them very much.

I agree with you, we can't repeat our childhood but we can certainly rejoice in it's memories and have them as a foundation for new ones.

I'm glad that an elevator will be built for the parish. Many will make use of it and it would make the church more accessible, which is a great thing.

I thank you for your daily posts. I read it seconds after you posted it and it felt familiar and comforting. It took me awhile to comment but its due to the fuzz in my head right now.

I shall be back tomorrow God willing. Love to you both.

2:57 PM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

I grew up with worlds most well behaved dogs. It never dawned on me that my mother actually TRAINED them, I just thought that was how dogs were. My guy is a heathen. He comes when called only if he wants to, begs when we're eating, jumps on all the furniture, doesn't walk nicely on his leash - and I wouldn't trade him for a truck full of gold.

3:46 PM  
Blogger FRIDAY'S CHILD said...

Have you ever thought of making it a business? Dog business makes a lot of money.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Yay on the loan. Yay on Cuppojoe and Chana winning. Chana has to be the nicest person on the net. And Joe is a riot. Thank you, Dr. John for introducingg me to them both.

8:01 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

I cant believe that no-one would have told you to have her spayed! Thats too bad..I love dogs and mine has been accused of biting a cyclist last week..turns out it was another big brown dog from up the road! I knew it wasnt mine

9:55 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Quite a few years ago I had a cocker spaniel and I bred her. My Minister had 2 small children..they needed a dog, so I promised my Minister and his wife a puppy of their choice, free. So when the puppies came they came and picked out their puppy. Of course it had to stay with me till it was old enough to leave its Mother, so my Minister and his wife would stop un from time to time to see the puppy and play with it. One day the minister and I were sitting on the floor and 4 puppys were running all around us. One of those little stinkers came out of my bedroom with something in its mouth....an article of clothing.... it was my underpanties!!!!! I was soooo embarassed! They were clean underwear, the puppy had gotten them out of my bedroom. My Minister and I laughed so hard over it!!!

11:48 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Dr. John is wed and no wed post on the blog..I just wanted to tell you i was here first thing and read it but i left to leaving a message until now. i'm sorry. i don't want you to think for a second i forgotten..you mean the world to me.

i did read the 5 things you would never give up...i thank you for the one about the you know what..i cried when i read that..tears of joy and of honor..

God bless you for your friendship and all your love to all of us. you are a wonderful human being.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Dr. John, is all well? I have never before arrived and found no post from you. I don't know what to think. Do I call out the National Guard? Or should I just wait patiently?

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home