Sunday, October 22, 2006

Forgivness

Saying for the day: For the Christian Forgivness is not an option it is a command.

Forgiveness has been in the news a lot lately.
People were astonished at the ability of the Amish community to forgive.
Even national news people seemed to think it was fantastic.

So I thought this might be a time to write about forgiving.
This week from a Christian standpoint and next week why you should forgive even if you don’t believe in God.
Lets start with forgiveness and the Christian faith.

For the Christian forgiveness is not an option it’s a requirement.
It is not a choice it is the law.
God expects the Christian to forgive.
It shows forth in the teaching of Jesus and his example from the cross when He prayed for those who crucified him.
Jesus does not say that it would be nice if we forgave , He says forgive.
Even when he teaches his disciples to pray he incorporates their forgiving into that prayer.

He does not say it will be easy.
He does not say it will change anybody.
But he does say we are to do it.

This so bothered his disciples that they asked how many times does one have to forgive the same person .
His answer was as many times as they sin against you.

How is this possible.
First we know that God, in Christ, has forgiven us.
God has decided not hold our sin against us.
God has decided to love us as we are.

If God can do that for me than I ought to be able to forgive others.

This would be a good time to sit down and make a list of the people you haven’t forgiven and then pray for God’s help in forgiving them.

Then forgive them. You can do it if you try.

@@@@
News from Pigeon Falls– The little town in my backyard where the trains still run and nobody runs for Mayor-Last night the White Rabbit made an appearance at the end of main street. He did his usual waving and smiling and was wearing his red, white, and blue sweater. It was late at night and Mrs. Trumble had gone home but he was seen by some people coming out of the Fly-Inn bar. They were not in the best of condition to report on what they saw. One even said he thought he saw the rabbit fly. But they were sure they saw him. Eino had gone home as well.
The deadline to get a petition in for the election has passed. If Pigeon Falls is to elect a council and a Mayor it will be on a write in vote. The non-campaign is in full swing. Eino has a sign on his door that says “ If elected I will not serve.” There was talk of writing him in. Mrs. Trumble has said the same thing on a number of occasions. Every time a name is mentioned that person rushes to make it known they won’t serve. Just because people get angry at the Mayor and tend to blame Mayor and Council for high taxes or no services. People have decided they don’t need that kind of stress.
Nancy is wondering if there is someplace where you can hire a temp Mayor and Council. Probably not, since they have to be voted in and be residents of the community.
****

Today's Link: Turnipville.com - Remember to put the words Dr. John in your comment to get those nostalgic, well crafted JCPOINTS. Check HERE for your totals. Tomorrow we have another Pic a Prize drawing.
This morning I closed up yesterdays blog. I set aside an hour last night to visit blogs and then to close mine only to discover that blogger was down. I couldn't even get to my blog to get to the link list. If it wasn't free. If it wasn't free. If it wasn't free.
Well blogger did it again. last night when I came to write this part of my blog blogger was down.
So I am writing it on Monday morning. We went to church yesterday and then grocery shopping. In teh afternoon Betty brought Christmas stuff down from the upstairs storage cove.( Can you have an upstairs cove?) I watched the Packers win and the Vikings ( I think they won but I fell asleep). Then I had my fight with blogger. Well now I need a morning breathing treatment.
GBYA

17 Comments:

Blogger The Rev. Dr. Kate said...

Forgiveness is the commandment, but I think it is the hardest of all of them. And, like grief, there are stages to forgiveness. It has a process and takes time. I think we begin by acknownledging that Christ died for ALL of us and that everyone is entitled to God's love, mercy and forgiveness. When we name that to ourselves, I think it becomes easier to let go over time of the anger and hurt in our own hearts toward others.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Janets Planet said...

I dont think Christ forgave on a whim. I think it requires understanding of just what forgiveness truly is.

Seems the white rabbit is the only one who has shown any interest in being mayor. No one will run, no one will serve. I think it is time to give the rabbit a chance.

BTW, hope the costume shop in Pigeon Falls has lots of white rabbit & dragon outfits for Halloween. They say that the sales of masks of politicians running for office can indicate who will win.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Kat Campbell said...

Forgiving people would be so much easier if we had the ability to wipe it from memory like God does. But your instruction is good Dr. John, we can all be trying at the very least.

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Rev. Dr. Kate that forgiveness comes in stages. It's hard if not impossible to just let go of hurts. We have to work through it to get to a place where we can.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Charlene Amsden said...

Then there's the Lord's Prayer, in which we asked to be forgiven as [in the same way that] we forgive others. And treating others the way we'd like to be treated is another reoccurring Christian theme.

8:31 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Forgiveness is freedom. For the victim as well as the the one who is loaded down with guilt. It is also hard - but worth it many times over. What a lot of peeps fear is that forgiveness means "to trust again." No... discernment is a wise trait and trust is something that must be earned. We will someday be held accountable for everything God entrusted to us. But also forgiven for falling short. That give me wonderful freedom.

Yes, Blogger being down last night really put a cramp in my style.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Think that trust is a big part of it margaret even if we can forgive, trusting again holds us back.

Nooo!!! Mrs. Trumble for Mayor, Never! Bad tidings for Rabbit and Dragon.
I saw the White Rabbit should be put forward.

9:59 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I struggle with forgiveness. I was betrayed by someone recently, in a very cruel (and egotistical way) and I am having difficulty forgiving. But I am trying... I am trying.

Cheers,

Josie

11:10 AM  
Blogger Bazza said...

I know wifey has already thanked you, but I wanted to do it personally, so "thank you for the cup, Dr John and Betty"

11:33 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

I believe that forgiveness is one of the most misunderstood concepts of Christ's teaching. Many people seem to think that it means to forget and look the other way. Forgiving someone is not something we can do by ourselves. Forgiveness is the supernatural power of God working in us. We, as humans, cannot forgive by ourselves. It is something God does for us, because He knows we can't. True forgiveness is not only letting the offender off the hook, it also sets the forgiver free.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Gingers Mom said...

Hey Dr John, thanks for the game. I love to play. I'd like prize #5. My kids will love it.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

I was guite impressed with the Amish and how they dealt with that whole situation. Thanks for reminding me of the importance of forgiveness.

3:13 PM  
Blogger Catch said...

Alot of things are hard to forgive, such as when one of your siblings has done something very wrong to the rest of the family. But I do belive you have to go through the process....anger, more anger,hurt, rebellion, then...you have to wonder what all that anger is doing to you. and you have to pray about it...then you have to let it go...and when you can let it go, you feel such freedom. But it takes a while to get to that point.

3:41 PM  
Blogger butterflies said...

Forgiveness IS freedom.I have experienced it both ways..forgiving others and being forgiven.Jesus died for my sins and if He can forgive then so can I..It takes away the hurt and pain..but as the others have said,its a process that does take time.
Take care Dr John:)

3:56 PM  
Blogger starbender said...

Forgive ALL of them??? :o
I 4-give; but sometimes still hold a tiny grudge---I guess the tiny must go, huh? :"(

What happens if no-one wants 2 B mayor? ...a mayorless town, hmmm, can I move 2 Pigeon Falls???

; ]

5:34 PM  
Blogger Bare said...

Forgiveness is the hardest thing in the world to do sometimes. Father Harry had a sermon about "Forgiving and Forgetting" not too long ago. The most powerful homily I had ever heard on forgiveness was given by Mother Blanchard back in 1999. I had NEVER been moved by a sermon the way I was hers. She touched on a lot of the same points you did here. God Bless :0)

PS: White Rabbit Rules!

9:53 PM  
Blogger Louisiana said...

Forgiveness is the key to act in a way to would make Our Lord happy. that is what he taught. forgiveness gets a bit complicated though when our emotions come to play. i have often thought i have forgiven many things and then i'm surprise myself when the hurt and anger and resentment come out of thin air to haunt me again..At which time i must start the process over again..there is much i have to learn still and i think i have a question on this matter..What does it mean when the pain and sorrow pops up again and does that mean i didn't forgive completely to begin with? i want to believe that i did forgive and that the process is just a way of growing up but i don't know..

**************
i think it is funny that Eino felt the need to place the note on his door. i have never heard of 'rent-a-council' but an interesting idea for sure.
*******************
i'm sorry blogger has been mighty naughty to you lately. how dare it. doesn't it know how kind you have been to it through out..you have defended it, you have made it more fun to be used for we love to blog and we love to use it for it brings us to you..silly blogger..alot of people have put up their Christmas lights here and i love it..since it gets so dark so early in the day, the lights cheer up the dark night.

6:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home